from a non Catholic

I’m not a Catholic and don’t think I would ever be one. BUT I have really been enjoying this site and have just gotten two recommended books on Catholicism from posters on this site. I can’t believe some of the things your church teaches but I believe that it’s important to see what your church teaches from your sources and not accept everything said about you from non Catholics. If there was a 7th day Catholic church I would definitely be willing to visit! Thanks for you website! I am real excited about Catholicism for dummies and the idiots guide in addition to the catechism. God bless you guys.

Right back at 'cha.

:slight_smile:

So are you saying that if we can make the idea of worshiping on Sunday as oppossed to the Jewish Sabbath, Saturday, reasonable, understandable, and justifiable, then you would be more receptive to seeing the sense behind why the Catholic Church practices this Tradition?

God Bless.

My understanding of the term ‘Seventh Day Catholic’ that the OP used is more like if the One Holy Apostolic Catholic Church existed as it does today, but with primary worship being centered around Saturday instead of Sunday (as the Seventh Day Adventists do); instead of just explaining why the Church collectively celebrates Eucharist on Sundays as it does at present.

At any rate, OP, it’s always good to see more people interested in learning more about the Church! The staff and forum members here at CA are a real friendly/informative bunch; so hopefully you’ll get your questions (and any others that may pop up) on the Church ironed out before too long. :thumbsup:

If I may make a suggestion of my own, I’d recommend checking out the Seeker’s Catechism by Michael Pennock (and published by Ave Maria Press). It’s a lot shorter than the CCC, but it still covers a lot of ground. I know it helped me out in my own journey towards joining the Church. :slight_smile:

Oh you are SDA… Of course you would believe that our Sunday worship is taking away from the gospel… But! If you understood that the Church had the ability to bind and loose, in other words have authority to change the day of rest from the Sabbath to the Lords day would you be more inclined to become Catholic?

Here’s two scriptures on that…

Jesus speaking to Peter… The rock that the Church was built upon.

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

And the disciples discuss this…

Romans 14:5 Some judge one day to be better than another, while others judge all days to be alike. Let all be fully convinced in their own minds. 6 Those who observe the day, observe it in honor of the Lord. Also those who eat, eat in honor of the Lord, since they give thanks to God; while those who abstain, abstain in honor of the Lord and give thanks to God.

Jesus said:

Mark 2:27 Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

This following doesn’t say God says the Sabbath is the One and only Holy day, Gods word says Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath…Sabbath meaning a day of rest…We rest in Jesus Christ in the new day…

Matthew 12:8 For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

So what is the day of the Lord? It’s Resurrection day! Which was a Sunday! And we celebrate Our Lords Resurrection day every Sunday or Lords Day ever since Apostolic days after the resurrection of our Lord (on Sunday)…Every week… St, John even talks about this in scripture…

Revelation 1:10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,

We see here again, the first day of the week (Sunday), not Saturday the last day of the week… They gathered together in weekly Prayer in memory of the Holiest day common for all Christians…Resurrection day!..

Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

So worshiping on the Lords Day (Sunday) is grounded in scripture and tradition.

If we were Jewish we might feel differently, but we’re Christian and celebrate Our Lord on Sunday, or the Lords day…This is the Christian day of sabbath (rest) so we may rest in Him…

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

My gf is SDA and we read the entire Bible from January 2013 til may of this year. She was shocked at what we read. She knew her Bible but when we wrote things down she was actually said, oh my.

At the bottom of my post is a book that I set up. I worked on it going through different catholic apologetic websites. Take a look, theirs a section dedicated to the sabbath. In it, ellen G. white states that she got a vision of heaven and was told that the Sabbath was the most important commandment. Yet Jesus said the most important commandment is to love God with all your heart and your strength. Then the second most important is to love thy neighbor as you love yourself. Never anything about the sabbath.

Glad to have you here and we look forward to our discussions.

BTW, if you would like a more detailed exposition of The Catholic Faith (will full scriptureal references) I would also add the Catechism of The Catholic Church to the reading list.

God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.