From Abel to the blood of Zechariah

Hi

I quote from Matthew 23:35-36:

And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. I tell you the truth, all this will come upon this generation.

Jesus was sent by God to admonish Jews or forewarn them that they were to be put to Wrath of God, unless they finally behaved well and accepted him a true Prophet and supported him in his endeavor to revive the Law of Moses. Since the decree was for the blood they had shed from Abel to Zechariah , so that meant that Jesus blood was not included in the punishment as per decree and Jesus was to be saved from death and beyond killing by hands of the Jews.

This was his prophecy in nutshell.

Thanks

what about a different interpretation? that Jesus’ blood will not bring punishment but salvation?:smiley:

I dont follow the question at all…what are you asking?

Despite your quote from Matthew, the prophet Zechariah (son of Berekiah) was not killed. It is a mistake that most scholars believe was meant to refer to a different Zechariah who lived much earlier.

Hi

I quoted from Matthew, as said be Jesus .

I think you have an authenticated list of Prophets/righteous persons killed by Jews started from Abel. Kindly let us have your list, a complete one so that we could check and verify from it before posting into a thread.

I would be very thankful.

Abel was not killed by the Jews. The Jewish people did not exist at the time. He was killed long before Abraham was born

You have evidence to prove this? Scott Hahn notes that there is rabbinic tradition that both Zechariah and Isaiah were killed though it is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Honestly, would it even be a stretch to say any given Prophet of the OT was murdered?

First of all, a Jew didn’t kill Abel. And I am not aware of any prophets that were killed by Jews. I could be mistaken.

Hi

I agree with you that Abel s/o Adam was not killed by a Jew, as prodogy of Jacob are called Jew and they came much later, I think, then it must be some other Abel who has been mentioned by Jesus.You know these names recur again and again.

Please read chapter 23 where Jesus is addressing only Jews.

So how would you understand these verses.These are supposed to be the exact words of Jesus and not of the scribe Matthew or anybody else.

Regarding killing of Prophets by hands of Jews, kindly make a further research, and if possilbe let me know for my information.

I appreciate you reply.

Thanks

Adam did make a mistake, but since he repented and was forgiven by GodAllahYHWH so it cannot be called a sin.
2 Samuel 12:13
Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” Nathan replied, "The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die.

Note the quotation from Matthew does not say that a Jew killed Abel.

And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. I tell you the truth, all this will come upon this generation

. It says they are going to pay for all the tighteous blood that was shed.

Note Matthew 23:29-31

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,

30] saying, `If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.'
31] Thus you witness against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets.

I don’t hear the Pharisees denying that their fathers murdered the prophets.

Or note the parable of the vineyard Matthew 21:33-42

Hear another parable. There was a householder who planted a vineyard, and set a hedge around it, and dug a wine press in it, and built a tower, and let it out to tenants, and went into another country.

34] When the season of fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the tenants, to get his fruit;
35] and the tenants took his servants and beat one, killed another, and stoned another.
36] Again he sent other servants, more than the first; and they did the same to them.
37] Afterward he sent his son to them, saying, They will respect my son.' **38**] But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves,This is the heir; come, let us kill him and have his inheritance.'
39] And they took him and cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him.
40] When therefore the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?"
41] They said to him, "He will put those wretches to a miserable death, and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruits in their seasons."
42]
Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the scriptures:

It seemed pretty well acknowledged that prophets were a poor insurance risk.

2 Chron 24:20-21 mentions a Zechariah, son of Jehoiada, who was murdered in the temple:

Then the Spirit of God took possession of Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest; and he stood above the people, and said to them, “Thus says God, `Why do you transgress the commandments of the LORD, so that you cannot prosper? Because you have forsaken the LORD, he has forsaken you.’” But they conspired against him, and by command of the king they stoned him with stones in the court of the house of the LORD.

Luke does not record Jesus as saying “son of Berechiah”; it is possible the addition in Matthew’s gospel is a later gloss by a copyist.

a bit off topic, but the OP left out verse 34 "34. Therefore I send you prophets, sages, and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town, " Jesus claims that it was He that sent the prophets/sages and scribes - sounds like a claim to divinity to me, as that’s what God does…

Abel is killed near the beginning of the first book in the Tanakh - Zechariah son of Jehoiada was killed by order of King Joash of Judah, near the end of 2 Chronicles, which is the last book of the Tanakh.

IOW, Jesus (or Matthew, or the church of which Matthew was a part) is talking about the span of Biblical history, from Adam (almost), until a couple of centuries before the Exile.

Hi

Thanks for an addition of a verse.
Can you please elaborate about Jesus :

How many Prophets did Jesus sent to the Jewish Clergy in his life span from that time he was addressing the Jewish clergy to the time he last departed from Galilee ;
who were killed by the Jews Clergy?
who were crucified by the Jews Clergy?
who were flogged by Jews Clergy in their synagogues?
How many were pursued from town to town by the Jews Clergy?

Thanks

The ultimate truth about Jesus is that he died in Kashmir

Jesus is not referring to his earthly lifespan of 30 or so years; he is speaking in terms of being the one who has sent the prophets throughout history.

Even the Qu’ran doesn’t say that. It denies Jesus was crucified and killed, but it doesn’t say Jesus went on to Kashmir and died there.

Hi

OK, kindly let us know:

How many Prophets did Jesus sent to the Jewish Clergy throughout history,from the time when he was addressing the Jewish clergy( in Matthew 23:34) , and before that time ,or after that time( three periods separately ) ;
who were killed by the Jews Clergy?
who were crucified by the Jews Clergy?
who were flogged by Jews Clergy in their synagogues?
How many were pursued from town to town by the Jews Clergy?

Thanks

WHERE on earth did you hear such a bogus claim as that? Honestly, thats a huge lie on your part if you are just making that up. The historical records say he lived and died in the palestine region. The historical testimony of many of the prophets being put to death only supports the notion the same thing would happen to Jesus.

I don’t know the complete history of the people of Israel, because the Bible doesn’t provide us with that, so I can’t answer your question to your specifications.

I do know that after the kingdom of Israel divided into a northern kingdom and a southern kingdom, there were many corrupt kings who brought about the worship of idols. One instance is found in 1 Kings 18-19, where Jezebel, the wife of king Ahab, was killing the prophets of the LORD (cf. 1 Kings 18:4,13); eventually, Elijah alone remains (cf. 1 Kings 19:10).

Again, 2 Chronicles 24 records the stoning death of Zechariah, who prophesied for the LORD against the people.

He’s not referring to his earthly lifespan.
Since He’s God, He’s the one who sent the prophets throughout history
John 8:53. Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets also died. Who do you claim to be?"
54. Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, he of whom you say, 'He is our God,'
55. though you do not know him. But I know him; if I would say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him and I keep his word.
56. Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; he saw it and was glad."
57. Then the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?"
58. Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.