From Hindu to Carmelite

• This is an old article but it’s still very good.

From Hindu to Carmelite

cbcisite.com/cbcinews2545.htm

Wonderful story. Thanks for posting it.

Beautiful. Thanks for posting it.

I have visited the monastery, which is near the obelisk on the top of Carmel, marking the spot where Bahá’u’lláh chanted the Tablet of Carmel, and where a Temple will be built in the future.
In 1890 Bahá’u’lláh’s tent, the “Tabernacle of Glory,” was raised on Mt. Carmel, “the Hill of God and His Vineyard,” the home of Elijah, extolled by Isaiah as the “mountain of the Lord,” to which “all nations shall flow.” Four times He visited Haifa, His last visit being no less than three months long. In the course of one of these visits, when His tent was pitched in the vicinity of the Carmelite Monastery, He, the “Lord of the Vineyard,” revealed the Tablet of Carmel, remarkable for its allusions and prophecies.(Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, p. 194)

Bahá’u’lláh chanted the Words of that Tablet with supreme majesty and power; that ‘the forceful tone of His exalted language sounded all around, so that even the monks, within the walls of the monastery, heard every word uttered by Him. Such was the commotion created on that historical occasion,’ the Guardian said, that 'the earth seemed to shake, while all those present were overpowered by His mighty and wondrous spirit.'
He, the true ‘Lord of the Vineyard’, had consecrated the earth and that land to become the seat of the Spiritual and Administrative Centres of His Mighty Revelation.
(Ugo Giachery, Shoghi Effendi - Recollections, p. 209)

‘Haste thee, O Carmel, for lo, the light of the countenance of God, the Ruler of the Kingdom of Names and Fashioner of the heavens, hath been lifted upon thee …’

The complete text of the Tablet is here reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/TB/tb-2.html

To add my thanks… given the history…I had and have a far less concentrated but still very real path away from Hinduism - Thank God Jesus persisted with me and I can so hardly believe it that… amazingly, tears are starting to come. !!!

It is a wonderful story. I was a Hindu for over 30 years and it was a Carmelite priest from India that I met in New York City who convinced me I couldn’t deny my heart’s desire forever.

newyorksunny.blogspot.com/

If I may say so, former Hindus make truly wonderful Catholics! :wink:

I am very glad some Hindus have progressed to Christ; they have my praise, but many have also gone farther and come to Bahá’u’lláh.
See Bahá’í Lotus-Temple at Bahapur, New Delhi: media.bahai.org/index.cfm

I thought the expression yada yada was Yiddish; but maybe it came from India, because
the Bhadavad-Gita says:
“Whenever and wherever (yada yada) there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion --at that time I descend Myself.”

So, this is progressive Revelation, also detailed in the Sura of Hud in the Qur’án.
I have known Hindus who became Bahá’í and thereby accepted Buddha, Zoroaster, and the Abrahamic prophets, Moses, Christ and Muhammad, the Báb & Bahá’u’lláh,
…and if they were living 1000+ years from now, would hope to recognize the next Manifestation of God when He comes.
Each one was like Dawn, each one was an Educator, and as long as God has a creation, which is forever, these divine Manifestations will continue to appear.

First and foremost I know this particual thread is 4 years old now and I realize the link is "broken"

You may read Sr. Mary Joseph Krishnan story on either websites

asianews.it/news-en/From-Hindu-to-Carmelite:-I-pray-and-suffer-for-the-world,-including-Orissa-13816.html

or

catholic.org/vocations/story.php?id=37399

tinalewis I'm not too sure if you are on CAF anymore but I wanted to sincerely thank you for introducing me to Fr. Sunny John, O.Carm. I've watched some of his YouTube videos and Fr. Sunny John, O.Carm is always smiling...True Joy.

youtube.com/user/PAZHUKKAKULAM?feature=watch

David Mark Thank you for sharing the information as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.