From prospect to priest: Grant Desme leaves the A's, becomes a monk

SILVERADO, Calif. – On the morning Grant Desme ceased to exist, he was at peace. He spent years searching for serenity, convinced it was coming soon, next, now. It never did. Life was a blaring stereo, and he had become numb to its noise. The sound finally abated when he arrived here. He believed God muted it. READ MORE]

Hey, thanks for posting this. I never heard of him, or his story, but I found this to be very interesting and I never would have read it if it hadn't been posted here. Very inspiring. :thumbsup:

I’m in tears. May God bless Frater Matthew. What a wonderful story.

:signofcross::gopray2:

It is a beautiful story.

Be aware however, that the Norbertines are not monks. They are canons regular, which is a society of priests.

Monks are first brothers. The fact that they are priest or not isn't important to being a monk. Monks are brother's first, and choose priests to serve the sacramental needs of their fellow brothers from among the ranks. Canons regular are priests who live in common under a rule of life, usually the rule of St. Augustine, and share property. All canons regular are priests. Not all monks are priests.

The Norbertines are also called Promonstratensians.

-Tim-

[quote="choliks, post:1, topic:300070"]
SILVERADO, Calif. – On the morning Grant Desme ceased to exist, he was at peace. He spent years searching for serenity, convinced it was coming soon, next, now. It never did. Life was a blaring stereo, and he had become numb to its noise. The sound finally abated when he arrived here. He believed God muted it. READ MORE]

[/quote]

Great story.

Reminds me a lot of Delores Hart, who walked away from a hugely promising film career and marriage to a rich businessman she was apparently quite in love with, to enter a convent.

I didn't know until just now that HBO made a documentary about her life: God is Bigger than Elvis.

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:5, topic:300070"]
Great story.

Reminds me a lot of Delores Hart, who walked away from a hugely promising film career and marriage to a rich businessman she was apparently quite in love with, to enter a convent.

I didn't know until just now that HBO made a documentary about her life: God is Bigger than Elvis.

[/quote]

The Wiki page says the movie is called, "God Is The Bigger Elvis."

Truly a great story :cool:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:6, topic:300070"]
The Wiki page says the movie is called, "God Is The Bigger Elvis."

[/quote]

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.