From the Bible can any one show me that Jesus said this

I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring you ought to support the weak, and to remember the word of the Lord Jesus, how he said: It is a more blessed thing to give, rather than to receive.

( more blessed to give,rather than to receive)

It’s from Acts 20:35. It’s the only words of Jesus (correct me if I’m wrong) that’s not in the Gospels but in another book of the New Testament.

Hi Very good answer we are going to love you here the Bible verse is right on the money but it not in the NEW T

:confused:

It is in the NT; you just quoted it:D
If you mean it is not in the four gospels, that is correct.

Yes it in the Bible it said that JESUS said it ,in the bible it said Paul said it I was looking to see where Jesus said it and not Paul

In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’"

He’s quoting Jesus.

Yes you are right but where is Paul getting his info I,m looking to see where Jesus said it what Bible verse

I think the fact that this quotation was recorded in Scripture, attributed to Jesus in Scripture, and not refuted in Scripture, is authority enough for its authenticity.

I am not sure what you are getting at. I cannot be certain what sources Luke used for quoting Paul in Acts. Unless he was an eyewitness to that particular speech.

I think the question has to do with this: Paul said that Jesus said this particular phrase. Since Paul was not present with Jesus on Earth, but converted later, how did Paul know that Jesus said this?

Some things to keep in mind while discussing this:

Even if the phrase were in the gospels, that wouldn’t help, as the gospels were written later than Paul’s epistles, if I’m not mistaken. The gospels are placed first in the New Testament because Catholic bishops said they would be placed there in that order. The books of the New Testament are not chronological in terms of authorship, they are chronological in terms of the Christian story that the Catholic Church was attempting to portray when they compiled the NT.

In the end, I think it speaks highly of the oral side of revealed Tradition. Remember, when Paul was writing, there was not the inkling of an idea that there would ever be a “New Testament.” Everything that was happening was by word of mouth and letters to the Churches. Jesus never said to add anything to Sacred Scripture, and Paul certainly had no idea he was doing it.

I believe Paul knew Jesus said this phrase, because someone told him. And Paul is to be believed because the council of Rome, the council of Carthage, the council of Hippo, and the council of Trent all say he is to be believed–and remarkably, he is to be believed in the same way that the “Old Testament,” the collection of books Jesus referred to as “scripture” is to be believed.

We believe the New Testament is Sacred Scripture, because the Catholic Church says that it is. That is not to say that the Catholic Church “made” it Scripture, as if it were not Scripture and the Catholic Church made it so by fiat. Rather, the power of the Holy Spirit caused them to recognize and declare that it already was! How remarkable is the power of Christ’s One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church!

Hope these little nuggets help, in terms of the fruitfulness of this thread.

SonOfMonica is right on. The apostles were certain that the second coming of Christ was going to be a more or less immediate affair. There were no scribes busy writing down every word as they dictated. It was only after it became apparent that the apostles could die before Christ came were there words written on paper for future generations to hold. It is projected that Luke was a good friend of Paul and goes to reason that he heard Paul make this statement on more than one occasion. Paul in turn probably heard it from one of the other apostles who were companions of Jesus.

First Vatican Council

To clarify what you officially believe

These books the Church holds to be sacred and canonical not because she subsequently approved them by her authority after they had been composed by unaided human skill, nor simply because they contain revelation without error, but because, being written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and were as such committed to the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.