From what belief system did you convert to Catholicism?

I’m trying to get a feel from where Catholicism is gaining the most converts to the faith.

Perhaps those who vote can give a little background information in this thread (if they so chose) as to their journey.

You may select more than one option in the poll.

Thanks.

I was born and raised in the Methodist church, so I went with that one. The next big denomination was Baptist, followed by Pentecostal and non-denom. evangelical.

I’m not a convert, but a revert. I fell away from the Church in my teens and lived a secular lifestyle (no church) until I was in my 30s.

Me too but you should have made this multiple choice, because I would qualify as about 3 of them.

I voted AoG.

Catholic to Atheist back to Catholic.

I’m glad you included nominal Catholic, for that is also a belief system. It is a belief system that none of that stuff really mattered. Or more accurately (in my case), that it got in the way of doing what I wanted to do.

I came from the Campbellite Church of Christ so I picked non-denominational.

Catholic father / Baptist mother, divorced when I was very young. Attended Baptist church for a little while. From this background to atheist for a little while, with interest in Classical Theravada Buddhism. Became Pentecostal / Assemblies of God Christian as a teen-ager. Entered non-denominational / Word of Faith / Charismatic fellowship for most of adult life (over two decades). In the process of entering CC now, in my forties. Whew. Any questions? :smiley:

P.S. I picked non-denominational.

I came from the Southern Baptist church.

(Although I had been going to the Methodist church off and on for the 10 years prior to becoming Catholic. I just never switched as I knew that if I ever switched to another church officially, it would be Catholic - or Orthodox. :smiley: )

I went to various non-denoms before becoming a catholic when I met my husband. I think I became a catholic because I was young , silly and besotted with him rather than anything else.:o I spent a fair time fighting within myself and ‘rebelling’ against the teachings of the Church.:eek: So much so, I have brought my children up outside the Church (as Christians though). But the funny thing is, I am now finding myself accepting the authority of the Church (more than my husband?) and the arguments have gone and I am glad to be a Catholic. My girls are both starting Catholic schools in three weeks and we have started again. I don’t know how much of the arguments in my head were due to ill health and depression as I didn’t really know who I really was for a long time. :confused: Also, for several years, I actually couldn’t cope with going to church because it meant meeting a lot of people - panic attcks and social phobia. That’ll sound weird to some of you but others will understand. Anyway arguments are gone and faith is restored and all looks good again. And, I am now well enough to cope with going to church most of the time and you will never know how much of an achievement that is for me.:slight_smile:

Oops. I actually meant to (see initial post). Must have been divine providence to have y’all pick the option you most identified with as a Protestant/Other. :wink:

BTW, I can’t vote in this particular poll since I never really left the Church. My wife however is a former Jehovah Witness convert to the Catholic faith.

I haven’t OFFICIALLY converted yet (it transgresses my mother’s will, and so I have to wait until I’m of age) but I was raised Baptist.

I was saved through the waters of purgation on May 3rd of 2006. I was encouraged to read the Scriptures, etc., and I began to do so, despite still being very deep in sin at the time.

I began to notice discrepancies between what I was taught and what the Bible actually said. These observations went something like:

(1) No support for once-saved, always-saved and my rejection of it.

(2) No support for total biblical literalism and my rejection of it.

(3) No support for symbolic nature of baptism and my rejection of it.

(4) Support for continuation of the charisms and my acceptance of it.

(5) My realization that intercession of the saints is not anti-biblical nor heretical, and my gradual acceptance of it.

(6) Church’s union with Christ abundantly clear and my acceptance of it.

(7) Peter’s preeminence among the apostles and my acceptance of it.

(8) My utter frustration at trying to find complete truth within Protestantism and subsequent hopelessness.

(9) Literal Eucharist affirmed 1000x over and my glad acceptance of it AND the Faith.

Despite these realizations, and the numerous others which sprang from them, my Baptist friends, as well as my mother, seem to think it very odd and no one is willing to allow me to believe, to know rather, that the Church alone offers the Fullness of Christ. I, however, for my part remain convinced.

I am not a convert, but a revert. I left the Catholic Church in 1996 and did not practice any religion. I returned to the Catholic Church in 2001 and have been learning about and growing in my faith ever since.

I’m in the process of converting, but I voted anyway. I chose Lutheran because that’s the denomination in my most recent past.

Great fun to read your accounts.
I put Methodism because I started out Methodist, left for New Age, lost faith in anything, came back to faith through Anglican, back to Methodist because my grandmother needed a ride to church, met my husband, the son of a Methodist minister, then after many years, it seemed to me the Methodist Church itself lost the faith (at least within the California-Nevada Conference), so I set off to find the faith of my childhood. I looked in the Presbyterian Church, Non-denominational, and Salvation Army, where I became a local officer for a time. Then, when I came to believe in the Catholic teachings, through the help of 1) a Lutheran-deaconess-turned-Catholic, 2) an NFP-practicing mother, 3) a respectful, knowledgable priest who explained Marian devotion with skill and patience, and 4) Scott Hahn’s tapes on John, Hebrews, and Christ in the Old Testament, I had no choice but to surrender my life to Jesus and His One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church.
I’m slowly learning to surrender my life to Him. I thank Him for His infinite patience with me.

I put atheist/agnostic. I grew up in an agnostic household where the name of God was only mentioned as a prelude to a curse word. At any rate, I became very interested in philosophy during the beginning years of my teens. I decided early on that I did not belief in God and kept as an atheist for a long while.

During high school I flirted with Mormonism for a bit before finally converting to Catholicism this past Easter.

I was Episcopal & it is very similar to the Catholic faith so it was an easy adjustment. I began studying church history & fell in love with the Catholic traditions. The Episcopal church has become too liberal & secular. I am very sad to see it turning it’s back on Christian teaching & values. I love that the Catholic church has had the same beliefs & traditions over the centuries & in recent times has not tried to change to become politically correct. I just converted at Easter with my children & I am so happy we did!

Me, too! I was baptized by my grandfather who was an Episcopal priest. Gramps was invited to my RC confirmation in 1997, but he was conveniently away on a trip. :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree with you about the current state of affairs within the Episcopal Church. It’s very strange and I wonder where it is headed. The good news is that there are some Episcopal bishops who are willing to teach about morality. Unfortunately, they are putting their flock at risk for being cut off from the Anglican communion.

I was baptized and raised in the Southern Baptist Church. My father was and is a Pastor. My parents are pretty hurt by my conversion though they acknowledge that I’ve grown closer to the Lord and they can’t help but be glad of that. It just confuses them. I’ve tried to explain to them that it was the loving and meditative Christian atmosphere they raised me in that led me the Catholic Church but of course that doesn’t make sense to them. I hope that one day it will. :slight_smile:

The church I most recently attended before conversion started out as an independent Baptist congregation, but over the years it has morphed into a non-denominational evangelical megachurch. I’ve been in three churches (other than Catholic), and this is the one in which I was most invested.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.