From which Old Testament

From which Old Testament did the New Testament writers mostly quote when writing their Books?

I was about to tell you that Psalms is the most quoted book in the New Testament, followed by Isaiah. But then I realized you may be asking about whether they normally quoted from the original Hebrew and Aramaic texts or from a Greek translation known as the Septuagint. The answer to that is, they mostly quoted from the Septuagint.

Old Testament texts quoted in the New Testament

"The New Testament quotes from all Old Testament Books except Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Solomon. This does not mean they are not inspired.*
And Jesus quoted from 24 different Old Testament books."
And here they are:

*bible.ca/b-canon-old-testament-quoted-by-jesus-and-apostles.htm

That list is not complete. With pages like “Determine for yourself if you are saved” it is obviously not a Catholic site.

The New Testament contains many references to Sirach, Wisdom, 2 Maccabees, Judith, etc. Jesus quotes from Sirach and Maccabees extensively. The image of Mary is contained in the mother of the seven sons in 2 Maccabees 7.

Did Jesus quote from the deuterocanonical books?

-Tim-

And doesn’t Jude cite the book of Enoch?

[LEFT]Take two…;)** Quotations from the Old Testament in the New Testament**

[/LEFT]

“Many of the references in the following table are direct quotations; others are paraphrases or close allusions to older scriptural texts.”

"NOTE: There are no direct quotes or close paraphrases of passages from the following Old Testament books anywhere in the New Testament:
Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Tobit, Esther,
1 & 2 Maccabees, Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Lamentations, Baruch, Obadiah."
[
](“http://forums.catholic.com/The website is a treasure trove”)
The website is a treasure trove[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]…

[/FONT]

There are many allusions to the books you list.

Both Tobit and Paul had scales on their eyes. Tobit’s scales were removed through anointing and Paul’s scales fell off and he was immediately baptized.

That’s just one example. There are many.

-Tim-

Yes. But it’s never been considered canonical by the Church.

Both of the quotes are from the compiler, Rev. Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D., and part of the table. Have a look at the link.

Great question. Never thought about that!!! :slight_smile:

The most-quoted and alluded OT books in the New Testament would be the Psalms, Isaiah, and Deuteronomy, in that order. Incidentally, these three books are also the three most popular works among the Dead Sea Scrolls, in terms of number of copies (from all eleven caves we have 36 different manuscripts of Psalms, 29 copies of Deuteronomy and 21 of Isaiah). We can infer that these three books were really popular in those days.

It may be a matter of semantics but I think it is important to point out that while there are no direct quotes or close paraphrase of the books mentioned, there are many references to what they contain.

*Do not hold over till the next day the wages of any man who works for you, but pay him at once; and if you serve God you will receive payment. "Watch yourself, my son, in everything you do, and be disciplined in all your conduct. And what you hate, do not do to any one. (Tobit 4:14-15)

**Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. **(James 5:4)

So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)*

-Tim-

I was about to tell you that Psalms is the most quoted book in the New Testament, followed by Isaiah. But then I realized you may be asking about whether they normally quoted from the original Hebrew and Aramaic texts or from a Greek translation known as the Septuagint. The answer to that is, they mostly quoted from the Septuagint.
[/quote]

A lot of posters seem to have missed the OP’s intended question. CyrilSebastian understood it.

@dmar198, is your intended meaning “Which Old Testament Translation did the New Testament authors use when quoting the OT?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.