Fruit of the Spirit: Why do we have 12?

Hello-

I am a room mom for my sons Catholic School. We are having a Valentines Theme: Fruits of the Spirit. I know this is last minute, but I have several projects that pertain to this theme. I thought it would be easy but when I went to read Galatians 5:22-23, It only list 9. I thought there where 12 according to Catholic Doctrine. I want to make sure I am in line with church teachings. Why do we have 12? Where did they come from? I need to explain to the children correctly, because they are going to each be assigned a fruit of the spirit. (To boost self -esteem towards each other)
These are the 12 I have:

The twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit are charity (or love), joy, peace, patience, benignity (or kindness), goodness, longanimity (or long suffering), mildness, faith, modesty, continency, and chastity.

Please help SOS!!

All my prayers and thanks,
Jill

[quote="JillianRose, post:1, topic:314710"]
Hello-

I am a room mom for my sons Catholic School. We are having a Valentines Theme: Fruits of the Spirit. I know this is last minute, but I have several projects that pertain to this theme. I thought it would be easy but when I went to read Galatians 5:22-23, It only list 9. I thought there where 12 according to Catholic Doctrine. I want to make sure I am in line with church teachings. Why do we have 12? Where did they come from? I need to explain to the children correctly, because they are going to each be assigned a fruit of the spirit. (To boost self -esteem towards each other)
These are the 12 I have:

The twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit are charity (or love), joy, peace, patience, benignity (or kindness), goodness, longanimity (or long suffering), mildness, faith, modesty, continency, and chastity.

Please help SOS!!

Jill

[/quote]

From looking at the CCC, it seems that is the number in the Vulgate Bible. Translations may vary by combining some of them together.

And this commentary from Haydock's Bible Commentary:

Ver. 22. The fruit of the Spirit is charity, &c. There are numbered twelve of these fruits in the Latin, though but nine in the Greek text, in St. Chrysostom; St. Jerome; St. Augustine, tract. lxxxvii. in Joan. p. 756. The difference may again happen by the Latin interpreter using two words to express one Greek word. It is observed, that longanimity and patience are in a manner the same; so are benignity and goodness; and so may be here continency and chastity. (Witham)

[quote="JillianRose, post:1, topic:314710"]
Hello-

These are the 12 I have:

Please help SOS!!

Jill

[/quote]

In addition to Della's points I would add the following.

Paul lists the following 9 fruits: “. . . love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” [Gal 5:22-23]

Three are added in the traditional list: goodness, modesty, chastity. This is because they further spell out what is latent in neighboring fruits (goodness in relation to kindness and generosity; modesty and chastity in relation to self-control); and because they specifically oppose certain “works of the flesh” listed just before (vv 19-21). Goodness specifically contrasts with “rivalry, jealousy, outbursts of fury, . . . dissensions, factions.” Modesty and chastity oppose “immorality, impurity, licentiousness, . . . occasions of envy, drinking bouts, orgies.”

Thank you friends in Christ: I am so excited because this is going to be a really awesome activity!!

Love Always,
Jill

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.