Fruit of the Spirit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,...

Why do we say fruits of the Spirit or Holy Spirit? It is in the singular.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because they are all one in that they are all a part of the singular gift from the same source, God's grace.

Della

THANKS!

I agree!!!

I am from CST/UST.

[quote="Jim_Baur, post:3, topic:323477"]
Della

THANKS!

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am from CST/UST.

[/quote]

You're welcome. :tiphat: I'm afraid I don't know what CST/UST means. :blush:

One though from a mundane direction – we goto a “fruit stand” to buy fruit not a “fruits stand”

And we buy fruit not fruits.

Even when more than one.

Yes. It may just be a point of grammar. :smiley:

=Jim Baur;10638839]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,…

Why do we say fruits of the Spirit or Holy Spirit? It is in the singular.

THANKS!!!

No:)

It is to understood in this sense:

God the Father “Creator”

God the Son [Jesus] “Savior”

God the only Spirit “Sactifyer”

These are “roles” that they One God choose to “cast themselves in”

Deuteronomy 6:4
Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord.

2 Mark 12:29
And Jesus answered him: The first commandment of all is, Hear, O Israel: the Lord thy God is one God.

3 Galatians 3:20
Now a mediator is not of one: but God is one.

May Our ONE God Bless you abundandtly!

[quote="PJM, post:7, topic:323477"]
No:)

It is to understood in this sense:

God the Father "Creator"

God the Son [Jesus] "Savior"

God the only Spirit "Sactifyer"

These are "roles" that they One God choose to "cast themselves in"

[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't say that your interpretation is the only viable one, although it's fine, as well.

And God is never described as "them", it's always "he," "him," or "his." :)

Also, just a nitpick it's sanctifier with an i not a y. ;)

Deuteronomy 6:4
Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord.

2 Mark 12:29
And Jesus answered him: The first commandment of all is, Hear, O Israel: the Lord thy God is one God.

3 Galatians 3:20
Now a mediator is not of one: but God is one.

May Our ONE God Bless you abundandtly!

So, how does my statement about God's grace being the source of the fruit of the Spirit in any way contradiction God being one? :confused: I can't see that it does. :)

well the answer is just as we say–
the fruit of an apple tree-- or the fruit of a lemon tree-- or look at the fruit on the grape fruit tree!

and spiritually-- if we are on the Vine of christ-- then - we will have fruit of the Spirit hanging on us-- and it is not our fruit-- we are just part of the vine-- it is the fruit of the spirit – if we really are on the vine–

this is why we can ck out people to see if they are producing “holy Spirit” fruit-- or are they producing self fruit, gee i’m nice – so it muct be the spirit fruit LOL

I am OP.

I do not have the time or talent to look at the Greek and if necessary, the Hebrew in the Old Testament.

I liked Della's first answer.

I am not sure about the Greek grammar. I have no idea at all.

=fredplont;10650663]well the answer is just as we say–
the fruit of an apple tree-- or the fruit of a lemon tree-- or look at the fruit on the grape fruit tree!

and spiritually-- if we are on the Vine of christ-- then - we will have fruit of the Spirit hanging on us-- and it is not our fruit-- we are just part of the vine-- it is the fruit of the spirit – if we really are on the vine–

this is why we can ck out people to see if they are producing “holy Spirit” fruit-- or are they producing self fruit, gee i’m nice – so it muct be the spirit fruit LOL

“IF WE ARE:shrug:”

Is the right question.

**Truth is; because it MUST BE singular

How then can there be thousands of differing Protestant “faiths” and churches holding only ONE possible truth?:**o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.