Fruitcake

Did you get one this past Christmas? Did you eat it? People make jokes about fruitcake, but I don’t mind it if it’s a really good one.
When I was in high school, somebody once gave my parents a nice big fruitcake, and every day thereafter for the next month or so I found a peice of fruitcake in my lunch. It became a standing joke at the lunch table.

I always get one from the Trappist Monks. It contains a whole bottle of rum.:bounce:

[quote=bauerice]I always get one from the Trappist Monks. It contains a whole bottle of rum.:bounce:
[/quote]

Are those the Monks in Kentucky? That’s where I got mine this year… I ordered a fruitcake and homemade cheese. They were both de-lish!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE FRUITCAKE!

I made two. I eat fruit cake whenever it’s available. Why wouldn’t one eat fruit cake?

I send fruitcake and fudge from the Trappists to my family, and get one for my self. I think it is Jack Daniels, not rum, that they put in it.

Sorry, nope! Noooooo fruitcake…not gonna have it! :rolleyes:

[quote=Joe Kelley]I send fruitcake and fudge from the Trappists to my family, and get one for my self. I think it is Jack Daniels, not rum, that they put in it.
[/quote]

Ooooh, that sounds like a business that I want to support! Anyone have a website for these Trappists?

The store:

gethsemanifarms.org/index.asp

The abbey:

monks.org/aloneingod.html

People beg us for the fruitcake. Converts (to fruitcake, that is :smiley: ) have been made by this fruitcake.

The pesto cheese is yummy too. :slight_smile:

I love Trappist fruitcake as well as their cheese, (especially the smoky) but haven’t had any for several years. I need to order some soon. The last few years I’ve been giving povitica for Christmas.

The Kentucky Trappists are Thoma Merton’s community (Fr. M. Louis Merton, OCSO).

Not a fruitcake fan, I’m afraid.

My mother, back in the day, made fantastic fruitcakes, and she made me a convert. I still love fruitcake. Send me your poor, rejected, forlorn fruitcakes, and I will eat them with pleasure and gusto :smiley:

DaveBj

Is it true that fruitcake can stay fresh for years? That is what I’ve heard…

[quote=Lillith]Is it true that fruitcake can stay fresh for years? That is what I’ve heard…
[/quote]

I think it depends on how much booze they soak it in.

Yeah, we make jokes about fruitcakes. We have this one that gets passed around the family every year. We also have a Yule Log. It just wouldn’t be Christmas if we didn’t have the yearly regifting of the Yule Log.

Eamon

I am not fond of fruitcake unless it is mostly nuts. I make a fruitcake from time to time that is not baked, full of nuts and held together with crushed graham cracker crumbs. It’s especially good if you wrap it in a cloth full of rum or J.D.

I love it.

I made 2 this year. One got eaten the other one, I poured extra rum on and froze it for next year.

The Trappist fudge is also laced with bourbon.

Expensive fruitcakes are usually very good. And, also homemade fruitcakes.

The kind you buy at the supermarket that are very cheap are good for the garbage pail.

[quote=Joe Kelley]The Trappist fudge is also laced with bourbon.
[/quote]

HEAVEN on earth…

I love a well made fruitcake (usually that means homemade), and I have heard such good things about the Trappist monks’ fruitcake that I just might buy one to see what all the fuss is about.
Just don’t ever try to take a fruitcake on a Canadian airliner. They are on the banned items list.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.