Frustrated Mom Creates ‘Ignore No More’ App To Get Teen Kids To Return Calls

“It takes away texting, it takes away the gaming, it takes away calling their friends. The child will always be able to call 911,” said Standifird.

“So much for my daughter saying she didn’t get my text,” a woman named Deborah from Hoboken, N.J. told CBSNewYork.com. She added she loves the idea and is going to download the app.
newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/15/frustrated-mom-creates-ignore-no-more-app-to-get-teen-kids-to-return-calls/

:thumbsup: Go moms (and dads).

It seems to be a pretty bad stopgap.

It’d be a whole lot simpler, just to work things out with the kid (Meaning, the parent builds a relationship with their child based on respect, love ect in such a way that the child will answer their phone when their parent is calling.) Trying to use technology to force the kid to comply is stupid. They aren’t stupid, they’ll figure out how to work a way around it.

Parents should do their job. Otherwise we might as well put dog collars on children so they can be forced to obey.

It doesn’t always work that way with all kids. I know which one of mine will return the calls, but there was one this would have helped especially during her early teen years. She lost her phone privileges but there were times she needed the phone (driving by herself). To me, it is part of love and respect especially for those who do not follow through with what you ask them to do - discipline.

Point well made. I think this app could be used as a disciplinary tool, it simply seemed that by the tone of the presentation, that it would be an end-all to this particular rebellious behavior by children.

I didn’t watch the video, but I do like this. Yes, parents have to teach their kids, but this is instantaneous discipline. No waiting until they come home to take the phone away. :wink:

My parents got so mad at me when I was a teenager for missing calls and not replying to texts, but I never once actually on purpose ignored them. They would get so angry, thinking I was deliberately ignoring them, but I was just a typically irresponsible young person, often leaving my phone on silent, or on vibrate but in my purse where I’d not feel it, or not charging it and having it die while I was out.

Programs like this might work with some kids, but its not a fail safe for an otherwise good but just absent-minded child.

How long will it take for kids to remove or disable the app? 5, 4, 3 . . .

How interesting. It sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Children should not be ignoring texts and calls from their parents.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.