Allow me to complain for a moment. I live in a part of town where if I cross the street to the west I’m in a nice parish. If I cross the street to the north I’m in a great parish, the one I usually attend. The problem is since I live on the wrong side of the street I am unable to register with either of the “nice” parishes and I’ve finally had it with the one I’m supposed to attend.
This weekend I tried to go back with an open mind, after all they did send me envelopes with my name on them. I really want to get involved with a church, maybe usher, or bible studies, that sort of thing. So I wrote a check, put it in the envelope and went to Mass with an open mind.
Here are my observations:
- No rosary before Mass. Just some guy playing a piano.
- A freaking trap set. Where’s Tommy Lee?
- Everyone is talking, except for the 60% of family who showed up late.
- Most of the music is contemporary.
- “Our Father.” 95% of the people there (include 100% of the choir) are holding their hands up in the air like a bunch of idiots. I get dirty looks for not holding hands with anyone.
- Apparently “Mass has ended - go in peace” means stand up, start talking, loudly. Hardly anyone left; they all just stuck around in the chapel discussing the college football game or some other nonsense. I like stay and pray for a little while after Mass, so I knelt down and tried. The noise was just too much, so I left, bitter and angry.
So what should I do? Should I talk to the local priests? They both seem like levelheaded guys. Or should I contact the diocese and try to get my membership transferred to the church that I really want to attend?
[font=Arial]I don’t know if I should be happy or sad that the mass on the college campus is about a thousand times more traditional than this one.[/font]