FSSP or ICRSS - Opinions and Thoughts?

Salve fratres, Laudetur Iesus Christus in aeternum!

So, I'm 15 and discerning the Roman Rite Catholic Priesthood. I have recently concluded, that maybe the diocesan Priesthood is not my calling. I feel a particular calling to a Traditional Order such as the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter or the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest.

I was just wondering about what people know personally about these orders. The ICRSS is very vague in their website, and don't talk too much about the actual life of an ICRSS Priest.

So, basically, just looking for people's opinions on the matter to help me decide which order I may or may not be called to :)

Pax vobis,
Deus, Salus Nostra. :gopray2:

You might want to post this in the Traditional Catholicism sub-forum also.

I believe they have a lot of knowledge on these two order’s there…

God Bless!:slight_smile:

Will do, cheers Jim! :slight_smile:

I would like to point out that, from my understanding, members of the FSSP are actually still diocesan priests. They are not a separate religious order, simply an association of secular priests working towards a common purpose. So, if I were a priest named Father Dan and I knew a few other priests named Father Bob and Father Joe, we could get together and with diocesan/archdiocesan/conference level approval form a fraternity for Peace or whatever we wanted. The FSSP is similar except they are devoted to the advancement of the Latin Mass while remaining loyal to the successor of St. Peter--at least that is my understanding

[quote="NovusAugustus, post:4, topic:322181"]
I would like to point out that, from my understanding, members of the FSSP are actually still diocesan priests. They are not a separate religious order, simply an association of secular priests working towards a common purpose. So, if I were a priest named Father Dan and I knew a few other priests named Father Bob and Father Joe, we could get together and with diocesan/archdiocesan/conference level approval form a fraternity for Peace or whatever we wanted. The FSSP is similar except they are devoted to the advancement of the Latin Mass while remaining loyal to the successor of St. Peter--at least that is my understanding

[/quote]

FSSP priests are not diocesan priests. They're both secular priests, but FSSP are not diocesan. The FSSP is a society of apostolic life. When a bishop invites the FSSP to the diocese to set up an apostolate, the FSSP work with the bishop, but if something the bishop requests conflicts with what the FSSP does or is part of their constitution, they cannot follow the orders of the bishop. The FSSP is overseen by the Pope (hence the patronage to St. Peter. They originally wanted to call themselves something that had to do with Mary, but they were advised to go with something connected to the pope).

BTW: The FSSP didn't come to be by a bunch of priests wanting to get together and start a fraternity. What happened was Pope John Paul II was working with the SSPX to try to get them into what the FSSP is now. The SSPX decided to consecrate 4 bishops without the Pope's permission, thus the deal that was in the making with SSPX essentially became void. There were priests from the SSPX who did not agree with that, and four of them literally drove over night from France to Rome and asked if they could get an audience with the Pope and request that the priests who didn't agree with what the SSPX did could have the offer that was made to them and start their own Fraternity. This isn't the best explanation of what happened. It's the gist of it. It's really a bizarre story how everything worked out.

Also, one thing to take into consideration, with the FSSP, once you're ordained you can (and likely will) be sent anywhere in the world. Diocesan Priests, once they're in a diocese they are generally in that diocese for life.

As for the life of FSSP priests, all I can tell you is that they're busy...very very busy.

Dear Deus Salus Nostra,

It is wonderful that you are discerning Priesthood. I have not been in much contact with these two groups, the Priests serving me is from The Institute of Christ The King Sovereign Priest (institute-christ-king.org/).

I could tell you a few things from my experience though:

• They love Sacred Liturgy and are usually very sincere about their faith.

• They are strict, and certain parts (not all!) of the movement could be described as a little bit legalistic (if I wanted to be nasty, semi-jansenistic). They are very thomistic...

• They are deeply rooted in European Catholicism. If you have the opportunity at your school, I would take classes in Italian and French...

• They are busy!

Good luck and be open to what the Lord is tellling you! Never forget how much He is thirsting for you!

Yours,
Nils

[quote="DeusSalusNostra, post:1, topic:322181"]

So, I'm 15 and discerning the Roman Rite Catholic Priesthood. I have recently concluded, that maybe the diocesan Priesthood is not my calling. I feel a particular calling to a Traditional Order such as the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter or the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest.

I was just wondering about what people know personally about these orders. The ICRSS is very vague in their website, and don't talk too much about the actual life of an ICRSS Priest.

So, basically, just looking for people's opinions on the matter to help me decide which order I may or may not be called to :)

Pax vobis,

[/quote]

DeusSalusNostra,

AveMaria!

Fantastic! What good news to hear that you are discerning a vocation. Deo gratias et Mariae. May Our Lord keep you in this good desire, and Our Lady bring you under her mantle where she may protect you and your vocation.

The FSSP and ICRSS are fantastic! Excellent priests, excellent formation, and serious about the faith, the Mass, the Church. They are rather different from each other though; in a nice way. Here is what I know, but the best way to find out is to speak to a priest from each of these groups! These are just my observations, so excuse the defects in my explanation!

The FSSP are more like Diocesan priests in their day-to-day living. They live in a house usually with another 1 to 2 FSSP priests and serve the community with the sacraments, house visits, mini-retreat days, spiritual direction and that kind of thing. They are formed well and are what I would call on-the-ground hard-working blue-collar priests. They are good preachers, and it must needs be, because they have large parishes and they instruct from the pulpit. If the FSSP were transported back to 1930's America, they'd be almost no different from any other diocesan priest. They are very American (at least, those in the English speaking countries).

The ICRSS are Canons so they live a bit differently. Usually they live with another priest or two. They have a huge focus on liturgy. They have a very high liturgical standard (which is to say, a focus on beauty, lots of incense, lots of Solemn Masses) and everyday in their Church they will recite a few of the Canonical Hours publicly and perhaps even sing it on a Sunday or Feast day. They would probably also have lots of novenas and public devotions. They are formed to be pious, elite gentlemen priests. They are a bit more white-collar in the sense that they are formed to be very gentlemen-like in their manners, conduct and disposition. They are very European, and very French. They often get accused of being merely about pom-poms and incense, but they are very good, hard working priests who love the faith and really want you to get to Heaven.

Both are excellent. If it were me I wouldn't know how to choose. They are not Jansenist at all (how could they be when St Francis de Sales is their patron!) but like most traditional priests they are very well trained in moral theology and giving good but sometimes hard-hitting advice for those who they see need a bit of a push in the right direction in their moral lives! If it were me, I would research them on the internet and even email their priests and spend some time in their houses.

Also, I was unsure from your post if you were looking for an actual Religious order/congregation rather than living as a diocesan priest/canon? There are many great traditional Religious orders and Congregations around which I can help you with if you would like!

God Bless and please pray for me!

Pax vobis,

[/quote]

bai viet hay qua.cam on ban nhieu.minh se up cho ban nha

Thanks for all the info and advice guys! Keep it coming.

I actually know quite a lot about the societies, but as well as the advice I was kinda hoping to get some information that people knew about the Society based upon personal experiences with them. Can anyone relate??

Cheers :slight_smile:

Could you be more specific about what you’re wanting to know?

Mainly what people have experienced personally from these orders, would be a great help! :)

[quote="DeusSalusNostra, post:11, topic:322181"]
Mainly what people have experienced personally from these orders, would be a great help! :)

[/quote]

Focusing on what specifically? It's hard to know what you mean. I've had experience with priests from both, I thought my post would be helpful in that regard.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:5, topic:322181"]
FSSP priests are not diocesan priests. They're both secular priests, but FSSP are not diocesan. The FSSP is a society of apostolic life. When a bishop invites the FSSP to the diocese to set up an apostolate, the FSSP work with the bishop, but if something the bishop requests conflicts with what the FSSP does or is part of their constitution, they cannot follow the orders of the bishop. The FSSP is overseen by the Pope (hence the patronage to St. Peter. They originally wanted to call themselves something that had to do with Mary, but they were advised to go with something connected to the pope).

BTW: The FSSP didn't come to be by a bunch of priests wanting to get together and start a fraternity. What happened was Pope John Paul II was working with the SSPX to try to get them into what the FSSP is now. The SSPX decided to consecrate 4 bishops without the Pope's permission, thus the deal that was in the making with SSPX essentially became void. There were priests from the SSPX who did not agree with that, and four of them literally drove over night from France to Rome and asked if they could get an audience with the Pope and request that the priests who didn't agree with what the SSPX did could have the offer that was made to them and start their own Fraternity. This isn't the best explanation of what happened. It's the gist of it. It's really a bizarre story how everything worked out.

Also, one thing to take into consideration, with the FSSP, once you're ordained you can (and likely will) be sent anywhere in the world. Diocesan Priests, once they're in a diocese they are generally in that diocese for life.

As for the life of FSSP priests, all I can tell you is that they're busy...very very busy.

[/quote]

Thanks for the correction. I mainly just wanted to correct the OP on the misconception that the two were Religious Orders, which they aren't, but I seemed to have spawned several new misconceptions. Thanks for the assist :)

Pax vobis,

[/quote]

I've never been to a parish with the ICRSS though I'm sure they're great! But I've attended an FSSP parish and it was amazing. I really recommend them :) the priests are very knowledgeable, spiritual, the Mass is reverent, - I can't say anything negative!

God bless you in your discernment :)

I know for the FSSP, when it is time for them to be ordained --- they are ready.
[LIST]Excellent well-thought sermons (homilies)
[/LIST]
[LIST]Beautifully reverent Holy Masses
[/LIST]
[LIST]Holy~authentically holy priests who desire their parishioners to become Saints.
[/LIST]
[LIST]They are just great guys with a love for our Lord.
[/LIST]
:crossrc: I would absolutely look into them in your discernment process as I will be when the time comes (2-3 yrs.) God Bless You! :crossrc:

If I were you, I would contact Fr. James Buckley, FSSP thru their site and get his advice. He is a brilliant man and an excellent priest and I am quite sure he could answer all your questions.

A friend of mine visited the seminary of ICRSS in Gricigliano, Italy. He is married now but he often speaks of this place with warmth. They ate rather simple food and they did manual work (humbling), and there was a nice atmosphere to the place… It is also very European, which is nice!

I also think they are the most “picky” about Liturgy, just like others here have insinuated. If Liturgy was my calling, I would probably have gone there based on what little I know…

Yours,
Nils

Carissime Fratres,

I thank you for your responses and more importantly, your prayers!

I think I am leaning more to FSSP, their whole Charism seems to fit my vocation well. You never know though, all could change. It’s just discernment that I need for now!

Prayers for me, Prayers for you. Prayers for many more devout and Holy Priests! :smiley:

Pax vobis.
Frater tuus,
Deus, Salus Nostra :gopray2:

I lived in Edinburgh for a long time, up until a year ago. I went to the EF mass at St. Andrew's church, and the priest was FSSP. In case you have not been to that parish, perhaps you could go and meet him and have a little chat. I never got to know the priest very well but he always seemed like a kind man, very devout and commited to spreading the EF mass.

Several other FSSP priest visited in the years I was there, as well as a few seminarians. They all seemed in love with the faith and our beautiful liturgy. They were ready to go to unfamiliar places in order to work for the good of the church. There is something missionary about these men. I also noticed that they seemed a bit oldfashioned in the way they behaved. There was a certain formality, reservation almost. You don't just call them Fr. Joe and go for a pint. I liked that and this formality did not put me off, because I believe that a priest is not just a regular guy.

I don't know if this is the kind of info you have been looking for, but I hope it has been helpful.

God bless you on this journey.

Hi mate,

I have a huge respect for both these groups and, with either, I think you would be in good hands, regardless of where you ultimately decide to pursue your discernment.

I only have one brief experience of the FSSP - their sung mass on Maundy Thursday in Edinburgh. I have told you about it already, but I was very impressed by the quality of the liturgy, the number of priests and assisting ministers they could boast, and by the highy quality of the small group (schola?) of lay people who assisted the celebrant in singing the mass.

Although the attending congregation that day was small, it was worth noting for the broad appeal the congregation represented. (I expect their congregation is bigger for normal Sunday mass, and you-tube confirms this).

Ages ranged from people in their 20s, to probably in their 70s/80s. The younger people tended to be in couples (doubtless married), the older people mostly on their own (likely widowed). But there were exceptions (including me lol). I noticed one young gentlemen of Chinese ethnicity also, which was remarkable as Scotland is not the not ethnically diverse place, let alone the minority Catholic community (Incidentally, I have noticed Chinese-Scots present at the Glasgow SSPX mass too). There was also a young Gentleman who used a wheelchair, showing that accessibility for all is considered. This broad appeal is to the great credit of the FSSP.

Before the mass, a priest came among the pews and asked a young man to help with a procession (holding a canopy) and gave instructions. They obviously knew each other and seemed to be friendly, which suggested the FSSP cultivate good close relations with their flock.

I have no direct personal experience of ICKSP, but have always had a favourable opinion of them, mainly due to their work when they:

1) In 2011, they took over a closed Church in Wirral, UK, at the request of (the excellent) Bishop Mark Davies. They expected 400 people for their inaugural mass, they got just shy of 1,200. This is it: domeofhome.org/

2) Bought a Church - a real gem, destined for secular use (a pub or whatever) - in Limerick, Ireland which had been lying empty (ex Jesuit) and made it into a traditional chapel.

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/08/you-report-icksp-given-church-in-ireland.html

I think they are both first class examples of the Catholic priesthood, and think it really comes down to your own preference more than anything. Language may be an issue - I think the FSSP is mostly French, the ICKSP mostly Italian (?). (I may be wrong).

Also consider where you might like be able to minister: for example, the FSSP is present in your home country, but ICKSP is not. (Obviously I would urge you to minister here in Scotland! I would come to your parish, even if no-one else did lol).

Why not make contact with both groups and see what your heart, what God, tells you?

The FSSP have an advantage is that they are only a short drive from you (Edinburgh) and so you can meet with them in person easily enough.

Cheers
GW

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.