fssp seminary

hi,
I am currently trying to dicern a vocation to the priesthood.
I am 22 and have a great love of the latin mass.
obviously i cant go to the sspx seminary.
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the fraternal society of St Peter. I know that their priests cater specifically to the latin mass. But have any of you had any experiences with them?
Im also open to other seminaries that are rigidly orthodox. like the legionares of christ.

Im just really paranoid and want to make the right decision.
any help you could offer would be wonderful.
thankyou

[quote=delorean_boy]hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the fraternal society of St Peter. I know that their priests cater specifically to the latin mass. But have any of you had any experiences with them?
Im also open to other seminaries that are rigidly orthodox. like the legionares of christ.

thankyou
[/quote]

GREAT choice, I know them personally!! They are great, and they I do recomend to you.
www.fssp.com THEY ARE GREAT!!!

Here is a website about a church in Chicago which has Latin Masses every day. cantius.org/HomePage.htm

The parish has its own religious order, the Society of St. John Cantius. It is a new religious order, approved by Cardinal George in 1999.

Yet another institute that is about 10+ years old. They have an Oratory near me and they are wonderful. They are also worldwide. Check out their website!

institute-christ-king.org/

The Fraternity of St. Peter is SOLIDLY orthodox. And there are lots of good men like you wanting to attend their seminary…more than they can handle. I suggest you study hard in the humanities, especially philosophy, get good grades and try to get in contact with one of their priests to advise you further.

Every order has it’s bad apples so if people complain about an order, take that into account. For a TLM order I would try FSSP or Institute for Christ the King. Opus Dei is another very faithful, orthodox order very much in the Legionares (although I’m sure some obnoxious, unsubstantiated posts will come up about this). Anyone who’s gone to their masses will tell you they are very reverent and they are some of the best confessors in the business.

[quote=amasimp]The Fraternity of St. Peter is SOLIDLY orthodox. And there are lots of good men like you wanting to attend their seminary…more than they can handle. I suggest you study hard in the humanities, especially philosophy, get good grades and try to get in contact with one of their priests to advise you further.
[/quote]

I TOTALLY AGREE: AND THEY SEEM SO FRIENDLY TO BOOT: I PERSONALLY KNOW MANY, AND THE OTHER DAY HERE IN NYC I MET THE DISTRICT SUPERIOR!! CALL THEM, GET INFO!! THEY ARE SOLID AS A ROCK, YET NOT CONTROLLING OR ARROGANT.
www.fssp.org

[quote=delorean_boy]hi,

thankyou
[/quote]

just note that on the LATTER, it is 12 years formation. MY childhood friend is a Legionary who was ordained in the Basilica of St. Peter’s in Rome by Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos. He tells me it is a very LONG!!! Formation, and they prefer guys right out of High School.

[quote=delorean_boy]hi,

thankyou
[/quote]

Oh, I forgot, there is another good NEW congrgation: www.iveamerica.org

What’s the big deal? Check them out for yourself. Duh.

[quote=mercygate]What’s the big deal? Check them out for yourself. Duh.
[/quote]

well i obviously have seen their website, which may be enough info to make an absolutely life altering decision, but i wanted to know if anyone had personally delt with them or knew fssp seminarians etc. believe it or not, this is an extremely tough decision for me to make, and i want to get all the info i can, so i figure what better place than catholic answers?

As for everyone else, Thankyou so much for your kind answers, i am very grateful for the info on other TLM seminaries. And Dead Bishop, you may be correct i might not have a calling, thats what im trying to figure out.

thanks again, God Bless

delorean_boy

Good luck with your discernment. I seem to recall that the FSSP seminary has some summer programs for people in just the same situation as you are in.

Whether you actually have a vocation to the priesthood or not, don’t let anyone tell you that your choice of religious order is somehow a barometer of your vocation.

Bless you.

The Fraternity of St. Peter is an orthiodox, traditional order and I believe they have a relatively new seminary in Nebraska. I think it’s in the diocese of Bishop Bruskewicz, a thoroughly orthodox and courageous bishop.

[quote=delorean_boy]well i obviously have seen their website, which may be enough info to make an absolutely life altering decision, but i wanted to know if anyone had personally delt with them or knew fssp seminarians etc. believe it or not, this is an extremely tough decision for me to make, and i want to get all the info i can, so i figure what better place than catholic answers?

As for everyone else, Thankyou so much for your kind answers, i am very grateful for the info on other TLM seminaries. And Dead Bishop, you may be correct i might not have a calling, thats what im trying to figure out.

thanks again, God Bless
[/quote]

Or the devil may be keeping you from the seminary. Contact the FSSP. CALL THEM!!!

[quote=delorean_boy]you may be correct i might not have a calling, thats what im trying to figure out.
[/quote]

I thought that was part of what going to seminary was about – to discern your vocation. Not every man who goes to seminary becomes a priest, because not every seminarian necessarily has a vocation to the priesthood.

[quote=Patrick2340]I thought that was part of what going to seminary was about – to discern your vocation. Not every man who goes to seminary becomes a priest, because not every seminarian necessarily has a vocation to the priesthood.
[/quote]

While this is partly true, one does not just “go to the seminary”, one does not just “become a seminarian”.

One can choose to attend a school to get their Masters in Divinity and there may be seminarians there and it may be a seminary for those seminarians but it is not a seminary for the non-sponsored students.

That is to be a seminarian is a special thing that grants certain rights and obligations according to canon law.

A seminary is just more than classes to get a degree.

To enter a seminary you must (I believe for all Catholic seminaries) be sponsored by a bishop or religious order. So there is vocational discernment that must occur before one enters.

A lay person who is attending classes at a seminary but not in the seminary is not a seminarian.

Speaking of the FSSP, I just purchased a calendar from them. It goes towards their seminary, so I hope others will do so as well if they have the money. I will hang it on my wall after my President Ronald Reagan Young America’s foundation calendar finishes the year off. And what a sad year it was.

More info on the FSSP seminary fssp.com/main/olgs.html

It didn’t say anything about being recommended by the Bishop, but rather two priests.

[quote=Voice_Of_Reason]Speaking of the FSSP, I just purchased a calendar from them. It goes towards their seminary, so I hope others will do so as well if they have the money. I will hang it on my wall after my President Ronald Reagan Young America’s foundation calendar finishes the year off. And what a sad year it was.

More info on the FSSP seminary fssp.com/main/olgs.html

It didn’t say anything about being recommended by the Bishop, but rather two priests.
[/quote]

Thats true because the FFSP is a religous order.

[quote=Patrick2340]I thought that was part of what going to seminary was about – to discern your vocation. Not every man who goes to seminary becomes a priest, because not every seminarian necessarily has a vocation to the priesthood.
[/quote]

yeah, ive heard other people say that too, the problem in my situation is that im two years away from a mechanical engineering degree, i may have a promising carrer as a professional race car driver, and also i have a wonderful girlfriend for about a year or so. so i cant really drop everything to go to the seminary unless i decide to become a priest. so im really stressing out right now.

thanks again for all the suggestions, im going to get in contact with the FSSP and some others.
please pray for me
God Bless!

[quote=delorean_boy]yeah, ive heard other people say that too, the problem in my situation is that im two years away from a mechanical engineering degree, i may have a promising carrer as a professional race car driver, and also i have a wonderful girlfriend for about a year or so. so i cant really drop everything to go to the seminary unless i decide to become a priest. so im really stressing out right now.

thanks again for all the suggestions, im going to get in contact with the FSSP and some others.
please pray for me
God Bless!
[/quote]

Waiting to be a priest, while it may be part of the “calling” is not the end all and be all of vocational discernment. I would say the three things you list here might be signs that you are not called to religious life.

I would say that the diocesean priesthood and religious life are different things. If you were to enter into the FSSP seminary then you would also be entering the religious order.

You need to get yourself a spiritual director immediatly and discuss this. You need help in your vocational discernment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.