[quote=Deacon2006]Take the first step and apply, a good formation team will examine your motives before admitting you.
I disagree with Deacon2006.
I know that God works on his own timetable. When the tugging gets more serious, then go! Now, it sounds like you need to work out some issues, like whether to date or not. Here’s my recommendations:
- Get a good spiritual director.
- Start daily Holy Hour. Ask Jesus to give you clarity.
- Continue or start going to Daily Mass. Make your vocation you prayer.
- Visit a seminary or religious community. Is it home?
- Go on a discernment retreat.
- Get together (maybe even online) with other discerners. You aren’t a 3 headed monster. Many normal guys are being called to this wonderful vocation. Get strength from others.
These practices really helped me.
As far as dating. God revealed to me over time that it was time to stop. I’d say when God gives you that strong tug, it is time to cut it off. Be open and He’ll let you know.
Over time, through prayer, you and your spiritual director can see if God is really calling you to seminary. Remember, seminary is still a place of discernment. How many of our friends had six years to discern their marriage partner? Well…the Church gives us this gift. So, you don’t have to know 100 percent for sure. If He calls, go for it!