fssp seminary

You need to get yourself a spiritual director immediatly and discuss this. You need help in your vocational discernment

I second this.

As an aside, we had a priest here who’s now moved onto a mission in Mexico who made it clear that men discerning a vocation had no business dating. He also made it quite clear that women who knew that a man was considering a vocation had no business dating him. I think that this is probably true. If you feel you have a calling maybe you should first tackle thought then, if you find that you are not really being called to the priesthood, resume the dating life. At this point, dating might be clouding your judgment.

Take the first step and apply, a good formation team will examine your motives before admitting you. If they think you have not been chosen by Christ they will let you know in a very Christian way.

However the devil does attack those how want to be holy priests, ask Mary to walk with you as you go to meet her Son. Take the first step and you’ll be fine.

God Bless

[quote=Deacon2006]Take the first step and apply, a good formation team will examine your motives before admitting you. If they think you have not been chosen by Christ they will let you know in a very Christian way.

However the devil does attack those how want to be holy priests, ask Mary to walk with you as you go to meet her Son. Take the first step and you’ll be fine.

God Bless
[/quote]

I agree with the Deacon.
Another good order: www.iveamerica.org :clapping:

[quote=ByzCath]Waiting to be a priest, while it may be part of the “calling” is not the end all and be all of vocational discernment. I would say the three things you list here might be signs that you are not called to religious life.

I would say that the diocesean priesthood and religious life are different things. If you were to enter into the FSSP seminary then you would also be entering the religious order.

You need to get yourself a spiritual director immediatly and discuss this. You need help in your vocational discernment.
[/quote]

I AGREEE!!!

Reply: Goodbye, Goodmen. I’ve read about 50 pages now. Wow. I’ve read stuff from the RCF website, but this stuff takes the cake. It’s unfortunite to read such things that happened to orthodox candidates for the priesthood especially the ones turned down because of false ‘psychological’ problems. But I’m thinking every now and then about the priesthood. I should read it, I believe to educate me in terms of what is out there and such.

[quote=Deacon2006]Take the first step and apply, a good formation team will examine your motives before admitting you.
God Bless
[/quote]

I disagree with Deacon2006.

I know that God works on his own timetable. When the tugging gets more serious, then go! Now, it sounds like you need to work out some issues, like whether to date or not. Here’s my recommendations:

1. Get a good spiritual director.
  2. Start daily Holy Hour. Ask Jesus to give you clarity.
  3. Continue or start going to Daily Mass. Make your vocation you prayer.
  4. Visit a seminary or religious community. Is it home?
  5. Go on a discernment retreat.
  6. Get together (maybe even online) with other discerners. You aren’t a 3 headed monster. Many normal guys are being called to this wonderful vocation. Get strength from others.
    These practices really helped me.
    As far as dating. God revealed to me over time that it was time to stop. I’d say when God gives you that strong tug, it is time to cut it off. Be open and He’ll let you know.

Over time, through prayer, you and your spiritual director can see if God is really calling you to seminary. Remember, seminary is still a place of discernment. How many of our friends had six years to discern their marriage partner? Well…the Church gives us this gift. So, you don’t have to know 100 percent for sure. If He calls, go for it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.