FSSP

Hello all,

I’m looking for a little education on FSSP. I saw it mentioned on another forum (In The News) and had to Google to find out what it is. For those who also have no clue: www.fssp.org

Is there anyone on the board who attends a Mass celebrated by a FSSP priest? What’s your experience?

How does the placement of priests work? Do they go through the local Bishops? I’m assuming they must.

I am a convert of 14 years, and I haven’t been to a latin Mass. We have a shrine here, Our Lady of Peace ( rc.net/sanjose/shrnolp/shrnolp.htm ), which offers a latin Mass, but the one time I went they had a substitute priest who didn’t speak latin well enough to do the Mass. The closest FSSP parish is in Sacramento (2 hours away), so I may try to attend on a weekend when I am visiting family.

God Bless,

Robert.

San Diego has a weekly Traditional Latin Mass.
www.sandiego-tlmc.org
That shrine you linked us to is a New Mass in Latin.
The FSSP uses the Traditional Latin Mass, the standard Mass before Vatican II[1962-65] and all Sacraments are done according to the Immemorial Traditional Latin Rite.

When I am visiting my family back in Kansas City, I attend Blessed Sacrament parish which is shared by the diocese and the FSSP. The FSSP priests there say the TLM daily, here confessions, perform weddings just like any diocesan priest but in the traditional forms. Fr. Wolfe, the pastor, is solidly orthodox and I have never heard him or any of his associates bad mouth the Church or Vatican II. They even often warn the congregation of the dangers of doing so.

I highly recommend attending Masses offered by the FSSP.

Robert,

I attend the FSSP parish that you speak of. It is newly remodeled with the largest congregation of all the N. American apostolates. There are three priests in residence assigned by the fraternity. The head chaplain was schooled in Rome at the Pontifical Theological Institute. All masses are in impeccable latin. If you are attending, please let me know. I would be very pleased to meet you and introduce you to the priests. God Bless!

[quote=rlg94086]Hello all,

How does the placement of priests work? Do they go through the local Bishops? I’m assuming they must.

[/quote]

Yes, they have to have the local bishop’s permission if they are to run a parish in the diocese (no bishop in Britain has given such permission yet), they have faculties to say the Old Rite Mass and hear confessions anywhere, as long as the local bishop gives permission: I think the faculties come via the Ecclesia Dei Commission, but may be wrong. Here in Britain, we have two ‘outlets’: a house in Scotland (can’t remember whether it’s in Edinburgh or Glasgow) where Fr Emerson ministers, and St Bede’s, Clapham (South London) in the diocese of Southwark. The latter has had an FSSP priest for some years now: he’s not officially part of the parish team, but works with them nonetheless, saying a daily Low Mass and hearing confessions. He also acts as a flying priest, going anywhere that people want an Old Rite Mass and have the local bishops’s go-ahead.

There’ve been a number of priests stationed at St Bede’s: the current one is Fr Nicholas du Chaxel, and interestingly enough, I’m just arranging with him to say a Mass in May as part of a memorial conference for a friend of mine who died about a year ago: she was a noted British children’s writer, and an unrepentant traditionalist - she converted from Judaism in 1947 and never accepted the reforms.

The FSSP is not on the looney fringe: in fact, they were founded by break-away members of the SSPX when Archbishop Lefebvre consecrated bishops and incurred excommunication, because they wanted to stay faithful to both Rome and tradition. They’ve had to put up with some real difficulties from Rome, I fear, but are hanging on.

Sue

[quote=amasimp]When I am visiting my family back in Kansas City, I attend Blessed Sacrament parish which is shared by the diocese and the FSSP. The FSSP priests there say the TLM daily, here confessions, perform weddings just like any diocesan priest but in the traditional forms. Fr. Wolfe, the pastor, is solidly orthodox and I have never heard him or any of his associates bad mouth the Church or Vatican II. They even often warn the congregation of the dangers of doing so.

I highly recommend attending Masses offered by the FSSP.
[/quote]

I made my First Communion at Blessed Sacrament and that’s where I first learned about Holy Hours and “making a visit”. My grandparents lived up the street. It was all in Latin then and I was thrilled to see that the parish belongs to the FSSP now. I believe they have a Catholic school too. One of my cousins works for the diocese and as I understand it, Blessed Sacrament was turned over to the FSSP entirely so all of the Masses are TLM. The FSSP has its own seminary (full and turning candidates away) and staffs churches like Blessed Sacrament itself. In other cases, FSSP priests have been welcomed by the diocisan bishop and are assigned by him. This is how it works in Dallas, I believe.

The FSSP has tried very hard to keep positive in its relation to the Vatican and I also have never known an FSSP priest to deny VII or the Pope. This is more than I can say for some of the priests who celebrate indult Masses.

BTW, if you google Blessed Sacrament (Kansas City), they have some awesome pictures on the web along with info on the FSSP.

[quote=Brian Crane]Robert,

I attend the FSSP parish that you speak of. It is newly remodeled with the largest congregation of all the N. American apostolates. There are three priests in residence assigned by the fraternity. The head chaplain was schooled in Rome at the Pontifical Theological Institute. All masses are in impeccable latin. If you are attending, please let me know. I would be very pleased to meet you and introduce you to the priests. God Bless!
[/quote]

Thanks Brian. Do you have a link or an address for the parish? The FSSP website didn’t include one. I will PM you when I am in town.

Robert.

[quote=rlg94086]Thanks Brian. Do you have a link or an address for the parish? The FSSP website didn’t include one. I will PM you when I am in town.
[/quote]

Yes Robert I do: Parish of St. Stephen the First Martyr on 44th off of Fruitridge, (916) 455-5114. Sunday mass times are: 8:30 am, 10:30 am (High Mass), and 1:00 pm with vespers at 3:00 pm. I look forward to it!

The Rector of Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary, Fr Jackson, recently celebrated a TLM at our local Catholic Law School. The day prior, he gave a short instruction on the Mass.

Very reverent…very peaceful,… very easy to really be an active participant in the Mass like I think VAT II intended. That would be spiritual active participation, not vocal, physical, social participation.

[quote=MrS]The Rector of Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary, Fr Jackson, recently celebrated a TLM at our local Catholic Law School. The day prior, he gave a short instruction on the Mass.

Very reverent…very peaceful,… very easy to really be an active participant in the Mass like I think VAT II intended. That would be spiritual active participation, not vocal, physical, social participation.
[/quote]

As far as the vocal, will I be completely lost since it’s in latin? Should I find a latin missal and practice the responses (and figure out what they are), so I’m prepared?

I’m very interested in introducing my wife (she’s a cradle Catholic, but also born in 1965) and kids to a latin Mass, but I don’t want them to feel alienated.

Robert.

You won’t be lost. If the parish doesn’t have them, get one ( a missal). There is this red book that has the mass in it. It tells you everything that is going on, english one side, latin the other and this book isn’t expensive. In the margins it tells you lots of things about what is going on. You won’t hear most of what is going on up at the altar. If it is a sung mass the choir will sing the introit, gradual, etc… like the gloria and the credo (creed). They will sing while the priest is saying mass, which you won’t hear. You don’t have to say amen when you get communion and you have to kneel when you receive. The readings will be said in latin, but most likely read to you in english during the homily.

The thing that will strike you most is the fact that you won’t hear most of what the priest and the servers are saying at all… that will get you more than the latin. For instance the only audible part of the canon you probably will hear is “nobis quoque peccatoribus.”

[quote=mgy100]You won’t be lost. If the parish doesn’t have them, get one ( a missal). There is this red book that has the mass in it. It tells you everything that is going on, english one side, latin the other and this book isn’t expensive.
[/quote]

I think this is the missal you are referring to. $4.90 from allcatholicbooks.

allcatholicbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACB&Product_Code=TD25x8&Category_Code=

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the info.

God Bless,

Robert.

In the Mass celebrated by FSSP, who makes the responses, the congregation or the altar servers?

[quote=JKirkLVNV]In the Mass celebrated by FSSP, who makes the responses, the congregation or the altar servers?
[/quote]

In the Masses I have attended…both with the exception of the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar which are still done by the priest and altar boys alone.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]In the Mass celebrated by FSSP, who makes the responses, the congregation or the altar servers?
[/quote]

It depends on what type of Mass they are saying. A low Mass only altar boys respond but during a Sung and Solemn High Mass the whole congregation is supposted to say the responses.

I haven´t seen parishes ruled by FSSP, but I think that It´s a positive step in the right adress, the TLM is very beautiful and have to be preserved, and this is the best manner to the traditionalists to be church, greetings

[quote=katolik]It depends on what type of Mass they are saying. A low Mass only altar boys respond but during a Sung and Solemn High Mass the whole congregation is supposted to say the responses.
[/quote]

Thanks to both you and Amasimp for your response.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.