FSSP?

To keep this short, I am struck by the FSSP, and, should they be reconciled with Rome, I may possibly apply.

From their web-site:

"Applying to the Seminary

All potential vocations must be presented by a priest of the Society of Saint Pius X, or a friend of the Society, who will verify that the candidate has all the necessary qualities for a priestly or religious vocation. When one is ready to apply, the following documents must be prepared:

1. Certificate of Baptism
  2. Certificate of Confirmation
  3. Certificate of the Catholic Marriage of your parents
  4. All scholastic records
  5. A letter of recommendation from, in order of preference, (a) your pastor (b) any priest © a professional person who attests to your good morals and character.
  6. Two recent photographs of yourself
  7. The seminary health forms
  8. Handwritten Autobiography

The sacramental documents must be originals, i.e. they must bear the actual seal of the parish. Copies, even certified or notarized, are unacceptable. In addition, the sacramental documents must not be more than six months old, i.e. the date of issue affixed by the parish must not exceed six months when they are presented to the seminary. These documents are readily obtained at the parish in which the sacrament was administered. The seminary will retain these documents permanently, even if you should leave or be dismissed."

My question is this. Would they accept my sacramental certificates if I received said sacraments outside of the FSSP, i.e. in a Catholic church, but not one connected to the FSSP, just a regular diocesan one?

FSSP are already in good standing with the Church, right? Are you sure you are not thinking of FSSPX?

But the question is yes anyhow, I cannot se why they would not accept it. I have heard of people leaving the “normal” seminary to join them. I have also met some people in a Tridentine Mass organized by the diocese who once went to their seminaries but dropped out. I do not think they were baptized in SSPX.

The best thing would of course be to ask them yourself, instead of having people speculating on the Internet.

Good luck with your vocation! I wish you all the best!

This is what you need to join the FSSP? Wow, that’s a lot of things. Thank you for posting this. I was wondering what was needed. [SIGN]THANK YOU[/SIGN]

There is a difference between FSSP and SPX. FSSP is in communion with Rome.

I could not comment upon their practices, but my impression after some conversations with friends is that some SPX people don’t think they are in schism… So who knows.

But why are you asking? I would discourage you from joining a group that is not in communion with the Church especially when there are others that are.

There are many diocese in USA with the FSSP.

fssp.com

You can see them there ^^^

FSSP is strictly Latin. SSPX is more with the Novus Ordo Mass.

sspx.org

You can see the SSPX, there ^^^

• Vjnycguy

FSSP = Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri (Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter)
SSPX = Society of Saint Pius X

Of course they would accept you! I am in contact with the FSSP Vocational Office, they are very helpful. I highly advise that you give them a call. They will explain really anything you need to know. The actual Vocational Director wont be back until September (I assume he’s on sabbatical) but a very helpful assistant of his is open for conversations concerning a vocation.

I also must remind you that, like other posters have noted, the FSSP is in full communion with Rome. The SSPX are in reconciliatory talks. The FSSP is a very (very) challenging and intellectual community.

Unfortunately for me, I do not qualify for priesthood with the SSPX according to that list. My parents weren’t married Catholic (mother’s protestant). Oh well.

If you are in fact talking about the SSPX and not the FSSP, we cannot recommend that you apply to them at all at this time. They are a society without canonical recognition, any priests they ordain are suspended, any confessions they hear (outside of immanent death) would be invalid.

There’s no point speculating about what might or might not be accepted.

All seminaries and orders require these things at minimum; some require more. It took me a couple of months to complete all the paperwork, writing, and interviews merely to apply to the college seminary in my diocese.

I find that a bit strange too. More than likely it is not a deal breaker. There are such things as converts. On face, it sounds like it goes against Catholic teaching, but I’m sure they have their reasons.

Wow! :eek:

I know in some parts of Africa children born outside of marriage cannot become a Priest’s…

HOWEVER, there are some converts who are now ordained within SSPX, I cannot imagine that their parents are married within the Church. Bishop Williamson is one of them, right? I know there are two from Sweden also… My confessor is also a convert (he belongs to the diocese though) and his father was a Lutheran pastor.

Maybe they bend some rules, I don’t know. It is better to speak to the people responsible…

It all depends on the diocese and their process.

It only took me a few hours to sit down and type my autobiography (I actually had to cut, because I was way over the word limit). The longest thing to get was actually waiting for my references to write their letters (other then that it was birth and baptism certificates, drivers license, and photos. Also a physical and criminal record check, but that I did all around the same time). Once I completed the package and sent it in, I had an interview in a few weeks (and that was because I sent it in right before sprint break), was recommended after the interview and accepted within a week.

I guess I also counted as an internal transfer at my university (into philosophy), so my application for that got approved within a week (didn’t need to send transcripts or anything).

The longest time I would say was the internal deliberations in my own head. I would rate the actual application process as not that hard (only slightly harder then getting into university I would say, and that’s only because of the autobiography, which like I said wasn’t really that hard).

That’s not that bad. My application to the RCMP required a lot more including a 168 question pre-polygraph interview booklet. Hmm, all I can say is if you think Confession is nerve-racking… I actually think my 18 year general confession examination of conscience was easier.

Prior to 1983 C 987 stated that being a child of non-Catholics was a simple impediment to ordination and such were not able to be ordained until either the parents became Catholic, or after they died. Such is no longer an impediment to receiving holy orders.

I checked the FSSP paperwork requirements, and they do not require such, and as others have mentioned, the FSSP are in good standing with Rome. It’s SSPV and SSPX who are not. From what you’re describing as requirements, you seem to be interested in an order that views sacraments after Vatican II to be invalid. Think about it. It’s unrealistic to expect a potential seminarian to have received all the sacraments prior to Vatican II. Anyone born after 1969 would have received all their sacraments (save for ordination, unless it was a diocesan priest transferring over) in the new form.

This was a very good idea.

From the people I know discerning, there is a few that are converts where neither parent is Catholic. In even more cases you’ll see that even if the parents are Catholic they’re non-practicing. The old idea of “parents supporting son discerning priesthood” is in the minority I would say; in a lot of cases it is young men who have come to discover their vocation on their own.

You could even argue it’s good preparation for the life ahead. The number of people hostile to the idea of priesthood and religion in general is only going up, and when you come from a (possibly) antagonistic environment your skin is a little thicker for the tough journey ahead.

I just like things pre-Vatican II… – 168 questions? That’s insane…

Not insane, necessary. These things are because of the clergy scandals. You have to get a psychological examination, read a book (I can’t remember what the name of it is), and do all sorts of things. It’s really good for several reasons, one of them being of course we can weed out the dangerous people, and it weeds out the people who are not willing to go the distance and who would have dropped out of seminary when it got tough anyway.

That’s a great point! It does seem necessary because there are people who are getting a very high rank then trying to destroy the Catholic faith. People are trying to divide and conquer… now I see why you need to answer all that and do everything extra. Makes sense.

• Vjnycguy

I am sure there were some exceptions, because I know there were converts who later became priests also before this time. Father Augustine Marie of the Most Blessed Sacrament is one example…

The RCMP is Canada’s National Police Force. In the US and Canada police forces require applicants to either take a polygraph test or a voice stress test. It takes anywhere from 1 to 2 years for the employment background investigation. It’s intense, but if you’re going to give someone a gun, handcuffs and the power and authority to withhold individuals their fundamental rights and freedoms, you want to make sure you do your homework first. :wink:

And as for answering the questions, unless the answer is no, unlike in confession where your only have to state number, kind, and necessary circumstances, they want all the details right down to dates. Thankfully I had a pretty boring life.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the SSPX also goes by the name of the FSSPX.

OP, I would not recommend anyone who has a vocation to the priesthood to apply to the SSPX.

The reason is simple. No one has any idea what is going to happen with them. If heaven forbid they are put in schism, then you will be outside of the Church, although the SSPX will try to convince you otherwise.

If you really like them, maybe wait a while or apply to the FSSP.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.