Full Divinity

Hi guys.

I was listening to an apologetic mp3 the other day. Think it was Scott Hahn.

He said when people dispute the transubstantiation with him he likes to ask them. What Paul meant when he said, taking the body of Christ,unworthy was an offence against God.

There was also another verse he mentioned but I just cannot recall.

Basically I’m looking for proof texts on Full Divinity in the Eucharist.

Proof from scriptures is in the words of promise John 6:26 and following verses and, from the words of Institution as recorded in Gospels of St. Matthew, St. Mark, and St. Luke and Saint Paul 1 Corinthians 11:23 and following verses.

Council of Trent
CANON I.-If any one denieth, that, in the sacrament of the most holy Eucharist, are contained truly, really, and substantially, the body and blood together with the soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ, and consequently the whole Christ; but saith that He is only therein as in a sign, or in figure, or virtue; let him be anathema.

history.hanover.edu/texts/trent/ct13.html

In 1 Corinthians 10:15-17 Paul defines that what is often believed today to be only a “remembrance” is actually a “participation” in both the Body and Blood of the Lord. One cannot participate in the Blood of the Lord if the Lord’s Blood is not actually present. The same with the Body. We do not participate only in/as a remembrance, but directly in the actual Body and Blood of the Lord.

It’s a protestant audience so Council of Trent is probably not going to do much. Interesting for myself though so thanks.

That’s good as well but it’s not the one. Wish I could remember the podcast. :mad:

But how about the Gospel and Epistle verses I mentioned?

My favorite route is:

“God said to Moses, ‘I AM he who is.’ And he said, 'This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” Ex 3:14

“And when Jesus had been baptized he at once came up from the water, and suddenly the heavens opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on him. And suddenly there was a voice from heaven, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on him.’”
Matt 3:16-17

“God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.” Gen 1:3

“Then he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, ‘This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.’” Luke 22:19

Gog is God, God states that Jesus is God, when God says something it is, Jesus says it is: it is.

A thing that God says must be, he is God.

Did you mean to say gog is God? Isn’t that like one of the names of the anti Christ or something.

God :slight_smile: typo I can’t edit from my phone

Sorry I was thinking that, but then I was like, did he mean that??? Then I just decided I should ask before I drove myself crazy… lol soz

Yea, no reason to go crazy over a typo :wink:

Some more verses (which Vico noted) in the next Corinthians’ chapter also:
**1 Corinthians 11:23 - 29 ** For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.

Were both verses from Paul?
If not, I would think it probably was a verse/s from the Bread of Life discourse in John’s gospel — John 6:48-63.

Or, a remote possibility:
**Revelation 3:20 **Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.