Full Knowledge and Mortal Sin

Is it possible to commit a mortal sin if at the time you commit the sin you do not fully realize and reflect on the gravity of your action? What if only later under an examinantion of the situation do you realize that what you did could have been considered grave matter? Am I right in thinking that in order to committ a mortal sin you have to have full knowledge of the gravity of the sin at the time that one freely commits it? Thank you for your help.

You’ve nailed it.

Josh

As far as I know and understand, you are correct. In order for a sin to be mortal, it must be done freely and in full knowledge that the act is gravely sinful.

This is not to say that such matters should not still be dealt with through sacramental reconciliation, though. Turning back to God through His sacramental Grace is always most beneficial to the disposition of the sinner.

Peace,
javelin

The unsaved or the godless do not think they are committing mortal sin. They may feel guilty by conscience they killed someone or had sex with another person other than their spouse. But that’s the only conviction that they have. Some have no convictions whatsoever. Some mothers throw their six month unborn into garbage bags and hit men will murder you for the right amount of money.

The gravity of sin is not the act itself, but that you sinned AGAINST GOD. This is the important point. When we come to a religious conviction that what we have done is a mortal sin we need to confess that sin, not so much to receive absolution from a priest, but that we have offended God and beg HIS forgiveness. When we religiously become conscious that we have at some time in our life committed mortal sin, whether it happened last week or 15 years ago, we need to confess it to receive forgiveness and have a clear conscience BEFORE GOD.

Requirements for a Mortal Sin

1. Serious Matter
  2. Sufficient Reflection
  3. Full Consent of the Will

In other words, It has to be really bad, you have to know it’s really bad, but you do it on purpose anyway.

All three factors, Serious matter, full consent, and sufficient reflection must be present for sin to be mortal, yes …But I am always left to wonder if when the sheep and goats are lined up and the ones on the left are told depart from me for I was hungry and you gave me no food, thirsty and you gave me no drink naked and you did not clothe me… I wonder whether these had given it sufficient reflection or full consent… Or the same for the imprudent virgins who let there lamps go out…

[quote=Frashawn]All three factors, Serious matter, full consent, and sufficient reflection must be present for sin to be mortal, yes …But I am always left to wonder if when the sheep and goats are lined up and the ones on the left are told depart from me for I was hungry and you gave me no food, thirsty and you gave me no drink naked and you did not clothe me… I wonder whether these had given it sufficient reflection or full consent… Or the same for the imprudent virgins who let there lamps go out…
[/quote]

My guess is sins of omission, or maybe a reminder to not get complacent and keep fighting the good fight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.