Full knowledge or not?

Hi.

I wonder if a sin is a mortal sin if it potentially can be seen as grave, you concent to it, and you know it’s wrong, but the thing is you don’t know why it’s wrong so you end up with not fully believing that it’s such a serious sin? Is it still a mortal sin or does that weak the seriousness of the sin?

We are not required to know “why” it is wrong, simply that it is contrary to what God teaches.

Take it to confession.

@TheLittleLady The thing is that I struggle to see how the specific sin is so wrong that it can be considered mortal. I sort of believe that God would’t punish me eternally for the sin I committed if I died tonight, even though the Church teaches it to be potentially mortal.

At the same time I have been recieving the Holy Communion during this time, is that something I should bring to confession as well? I hope there is forgiveness for this sin even though I have waited so long with this… I know God always wants to forgive us and all of that.

If you feel unsure enough to ask on this forum, you should go to confession.

If it bothers your conscience, go to confession.

I guess I will attend confession to make sure it’ll be alright. I have to keep in mind that God will always forgive.

Maybe the fact that the feeling of it being wrong sometimes is God calling me to go to confession about it.

That is your conscience :slight_smile:

But as long as I get to confession it’s not blasphemy against the Holy spirit, right? Because as far as I know that sort of blasphemy is if you refuse to repent something in the long run?

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is after God has been fully revealed to you, you still reject Him
and thus claim sin and satan for yourself. It is thus attributing power to the devil and outright rejecting God. This is unforgivable because Divine Mercy was fully shown to you and you rejected it. You have not done this because you haven’t fully seen God revealed you, this happens upon our death for instance or a miraculous appearance or event, such as in the Bible

Thanks. Sometimes I wonder whether or not I’m trying to make it fair for me to wait with going to confession. I feel sometimes like the sin isn’t really that serious. But it still the same right? Still not blasphemy towards the holy spirit?

Sorry for asking so much, I’m just purely concerned.

Not quite that deep or complex.

The unforgivable sin is final impenitence. Dying in a state of unrepented mortal sin. Refusing forgiveness.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/is-blasphemy-against-the-holy-spirit-unforgivable

“Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss (CCC 1864).

If you are alive and afraid that you might have sinned against God, you have not committed the unpardonable sin.

Repent and seek Confession.

No you did not do this. I will give you an example of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. First, rule number 1, you can’t commit this sin by accident so if you aren’t sure, then you didn’t do it.

Example: Jesus appears to you completely, and bodily (like Faustina saw and how Padre Pio saw the devil, this type of bodily seeing). Jesus tells you He loves you and He wants you to go to confession to repent your sins. You have now seen the ultimate and infinite mercies of Jesus. You decide you don’t want to go to confession because it isn’t a sin. Thus you have openly rejected Jesus and claimed sin and the devil for yourself.

Keep in mind Jesus doesn’t appear to us everyday, this never really happens. Seeing Jesus in a dream can be doubted it was just imagination. So we need concrete evidence, like when Jesus in the Bible casted out demons and healed the sick and was raised from the dead, AND THEN Chief priests still thought he worked these miracles because He was evil and had the power of the devil - bam this is sinning against the Holy Spirit.

In our life, really this sin comes into play at judgment day when Jesus reveals Himself totally to us. Do we prostrate ourselves and beg for mercy or do we claim sin as our own?

Speak with a Priest about this if you want but again this sin can’t be done by accident so since you aren’t sure you BY DEFINITION didn’t do it

@TheLittleLady describes this well

Thank you all, I understand the concept better now. Since I probably am in a different timezone than you guys I will have to go to bed. But thanks! Thank you very, very much for calming my heart! I hope to get to confession sometime during this week. God bless you!

It is sufficient to know it is wrong without knowing why. Of course it makes sense to learn what is behind the teachings of the Church.

It seems that you understand the Church teaches that a certain action is grave matter and this fulfills one of the criteria for being a mortal sin.

However, you do not understand why it is considered so grave, so you have committed it.

Obviously, only God can judge the state of your soul, but I was in your position once and I prayed about it and God answered my prayer so that I came to understand why the act was considered grave matter.

So in addition to going to Confession and discussing the issue with a priest, I would also recommend praying about it and asking God to let you understand the issue better.

Your position would in essence mean that all Catholics could claim they cannot commit a mortal sin because they are unable to 100% understand the reason behind teachings.

I also disagree with the Pope’s view that would allow divorced people (with no annulment) to receive Communion while in a relationship with another person. I hope that is never allowed.

With all due respect this is a discussion forum where individuals can put forward whatever points they wish relating to Church teachings and other faith/moral related subjects as long as they do it respectfully and without ad hominem attacks.

It is my view that the the condition of full knowledge is satisfied by a person knowing that the Church says a particular act is of grave matter. That does not require understanding, albeit we should all try to understand what underpins Church teachings, but simply requires acceptance. If you have a magisterium document which states otherwise I am happy to be corrected.
The point I was making is that if you argue (using the word you generally and not you specifically) that a person can only have full knowledge if they not only know something is of grave matter but they must also 100% understand why then any Catholic could claim they have never and can never commit a mortal sin.

As for the Pope’s position on potentially allowing divorced people with no annulment and remarried access to the Eucharist I am entitled to disagree with that. If you care to search the forums you will see many threads and extensive discussions on this topic which appear to show many laypersons to priests, bishops and cardinals strongly disagree with him. In fact this is probably one of the most controversial issues that has the clergy up in arms.

I would say that doesn’t count as full knowledge. If you don’t really believe it’s a grave matter then you don’t have full knowledge.

Unless it’s a matter of natural law, in which case you should know without being told (an example of this is the prohibition against murder).

Well, I don´t think that remarried people without annullment or people committing adultery (etc) should be allowed to recieve the Holy Communion without recieving the Sacrament of Reconziliation. I primarily think so because it´s contradictive to what Jesus teaches.

It´s our business as Catholics because we need to guard our Faith and have it to be as truthful as possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.