Full Text of Obama's Speech

huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/17/obama-notre-dame-speech-f_n_204387.html

And I quote:

"We must decide how to save God’s creation from a changing climate that threatens to destroy it. We must seek peace at a time when there are those who will stop at nothing to do us harm, and when weapons in the hands of a few can destroy the many. And we must find a way to reconcile our ever-shrinking world with its ever-growing diversity - diversity of thought, of culture, and of belief.

In short, we must find a way to live together as one human family. "

:banghead:

What about all those children God created that are murdered through abortion? Aren’t they worth more than the climate? Aren’t they part of the one human family?

:banghead:

Kyrie eleison.

:heart: Love is Patient

I was having very mixed reactions as I read the speech. In the end I realized that this is a typical of his speeches. He tries to take the middle line and not take a side. However, when it comes to actions he takes the side that is contrary to life. As I did during the campaign, I will continue giving little to no weight to his speeches as they never match his actions.

The one interesting thing that I found in the speech is how he became a Christian, albeit liberal Christian. He came to Christ the way so many other people come to Christ. Hopefully, this part of the speech will not be lost as there are too many people that believe he is a Muslim trying to pass himself off as a Christian.

I printed this our and forwarded the text so those of us that refused to watch this “show” of BHO will know what he had the nerve to say at ND. Please read this it says a whole lot about his disrespect IMHO for the lives if our babies.

I heard that dimwit Jenkins. I’m sorry, but what a buffoon! He needs to get a copy of Alisnky’s book. He’ll find he has played directly into the radical playbook of getting the enemy to embrace their “common ground”. I was saying the rosary so loudly that I’m shocked the neighbors didn’t come over.

Tragic, absolutely tragic that so many have, like the heterodoxal O’Brien, see the slaughter of so many as just another political issue, like potholes or flat vs graduated tax.

I’m disgusted.

He can say anything he wants…Actions speak louder than words…he is funding forced abortions in China with tax dollars…I don’t agree with him on abortion, nor forcing people to have one, nor forcing me to pay for it

As far as being the parents of an ill child, how is it moral to murder another child to save it?

This man is dangerous:(

That part about the embryonic stem cell got me too. Note he forgot to mention the creation of embryos to off them for spare parts… I was praying loudly for his conversion as I focused on Our Mother’s image over the TV set.

I can provide a summary of Mr Obama’s remarks:

“SHUT UP!”

The words mean nothing; the speech is only a political action to produce the intended effect: to make his Catholic opponents shut up. Children, the sick and the elderly must be sacrificed to liberalism’s monolithic “diversity.” To insist otherwise is simply “extremist,” in the words of Homeland Security.

ND was gone long ago, but very few had the courage to see it. The Bishops need to see the writing on the wall, divest from all pseudo-Catholic institutions and finally throw their full support behind those that are trying to remain faithful.

One thing the president did not talk about is when a new human being begins. Apparently that’s still beyond his pay grade. Weren’t there any biologists at ND who could help him with that?

Well, I read an article in the Observer in which the head of the biology department expressed support for embryonic stem cell research, using the tired old saw of “we can’t let ideology dictate science.” So I suppose the answer to that would be no.

It’s only a matter of time before the same rhetoric used to justify the Obama honor is used to promote ESCR on campus. Judging from the reports of applause at Obama’s remarks on ESCR, apparently ND is incapable of teaching its students why it’s wrong to use a human being as a spare parts shop.

The devil is alive and well at Notre Dame…Christ said you can not serve God and Mamon

Who was Notre Dame serving today? Certainly not God

I believe that the President acted very inappropriately. He was at a Catholic university. He knows the Catholic position on embryonic stem cell research and abortion. He knows the conflict that the invitation made to him has caused within the Catholic community. He is not an untillligent man.

A good diplomat would have stayed away from those topics. The other points in his speech were good points to bring up with a group of young men and women who are about to transition from the academic world into the work force. His mention of the project in Chicago was a good example of community involvement in service to the poor for the students. His memories of Cardinal Bernadin were good for young Catholics to hear, especially coming from someone who is Protestant.

Introducing abortion and stem cell research into the speech was not appropriate for a commencement. It was a political speech. It was a campaign to sway his audience. Considering the man’s intelligence, it is highly doubtful that he does not know the violation of diplomatic protocol that he committed.

That’s not the way to bring people to the table to a dialogue and to brainstorm to solve a problem, even though the President presented it as such. He could have issued an invitation to the graduates to come to the table with ideas on how to solve the pressing issues facing the nation, without mentioning abortion and embryonic stem cell research at a Catholic graduation.

That gives the impression that the speaker does not care if anyone in the audience is offended or not when he’s speaking in their house. I am disappointed in his lack of diplomacy and his disregard for the feelings of those constituents who would be offended at this commencement. It did not make the day memorable for them.

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

I don’t think he does care if he offend anyone…He was using his Bully Pulpit to defend himself

ND is about as catholic as BYU and probably less.

Every bishop in America should have been present and arrested at this tragedy today.

I will pray for nd to renounce the catholic name and really become a secular school now.

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR DIALOGUE ON THIS ISSUE, THERE IS NO ROOM FOR DISCUSSION, END OF STORY !

Our Lady is weeping !!!

It will be a pleasure to watch ND football continue on its downward spiral. Touchdown Mary cannot be pleased with what is being done in her name. If only the believing alumni would withhold all financial support from this pseudo-Catholic University.

How many of you honestly lose sleep every night because of the babies that are aborted every day? I don’t. I have been lurking in this forum for a couple of months and it seems as though some people only remember them when they want to show how “Christian” they are. I believe that abortion is physically and spiritually damaging for both mother and child, but I also know that God loves His creations so much…and while I may never know what happens to the souls of those babies, I do know that God knows them, and that is enough for me.

I expected (perhaps mistakenly) to see the love of God shine through the posts of this forum but I am honestly not seeing it. I sense a general vibe on this forum that President Obama is solely responsible for the numbers of aborted babies in America and will be responsible for future abortions. Please, do not give him too much credit. There are women who have and at this moment may be contemplating killing their child for numerous reasons. Who is paying attention to them? Why have they even been able to get to this point in the first place? These are our sisters and brothers (they’re involved too) in Christ making these decisions. Just because abortion is legal doesn’t make it the right thing to do. People do have a CHOICE, and I feel that the Church in America has not done a good job in educating their laity (and generally the laity have certainly not done a good job educating each other) on the core principles of the Ten Commandments (especially the first three) so that they may want to choose the RIGHT choice.

I watched Obama’s speech this morning and the introduction before it. I finally understood why he was invited to speak in the first place. I think it meant a lot to Father Hesburgh with his efforts during the Civil Rights movement. I really feel that that was the main reason why he was invited.

I am a very recent convert to the Catholic Church. However, I have been attending Mass for the past 18 months, and this morning was the very FIRST time I heard a homily addressing the Ten Commandments. That fact speaks of the ever growing “watering-down” of the Church in America. This homily I heard is now one of my favourite homilies. The priest stressed the importance of LOVE in the commandments.

Who has really listened to the Second Reading from this morning’s liturgy?

Beloved, let us love one another,
because love is of God;
everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.
Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love.
In this way the love of God was revealed to us:
God sent his only Son into the world
so that we might have life through him.
In this is love:
not that we have loved God, but that he loved us
and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.

If we really love God, the Commandments should be so easy to follow. We would not be able to just pick and choose which ones to follow or which ones are more important. We need to help each other learn to love God. And that will not happen by us as Christians pushing each other away and deeming others not worthy to even try to love God because of politics. Because that’s all this is.

Point is there should not be a choice and yes many of us do loose sleep over the innocent unborn deaths! Especially, with a man in charge who promised to have our tax dollars go towards abortions. To me, that is not someone who should be speaking at a Catholic College and receive an honorary degree. What you are seeing on these forums , at least from me, is fear and concern. I come here to take comfort that my fellow Catholics believe the same as me and help me through this troubled time. I will NEVER support someone who clearly doesnt support life…However it doesnt mean that I will not love him or pray for him. I just dont support him!

For LoveJesus:

How does one best love Jesus?
Would you bestow an honor on a proponent of genocide? Why muddy the waters to the detriment of the children in the future, and to the detriment of life in the future, including the resultant increase in euthanasia that’s to come. Why provide a boost to the culture of death. Regarding the love of God, what does that look like to you? Do you think it is tolerant of evil doers and evil deeds? Do you think it facilitates them? Does it speak Truth to Power or does it merely wash its hands?

Well, I read an article in the Observer in which the head of the biology department expressed support for embryonic stem cell research, using the tired old saw of “we can’t let ideology dictate science.” So I suppose the answer to that would be no.

Note that they won’t use science to tell you that it isn’t human. They can’t. They will just say that you can’t let ideology (backed up by science( interfere with a few scientists.

Point is there should not be a choice and yes many of us do loose sleep over the innocent unborn deaths! Especially, with a man in charge who promised to have our tax dollars go towards abortions. To me, that is not someone who should be speaking at a Catholic College and receive an honorary degree. What you are seeing on these forums , at least from me, is fear and concern. I come here to take comfort that my fellow Catholics believe the same as me and help me through this troubled time. I will NEVER support someone who clearly doesnt support life…However it doesnt mean that I will not love him or pray for him. I just dont support him!

And how do these innocent babies come to be? What troubles me more is the stark silence of American Catholics and their priests over cohabitation and the “freedom” of sex in society. The only time I have heard cohabitation addressed was during my Catechism…but never in a homily. Honestly, it happens so much that it seems like most of us turn a blind eye to it.

IMHO I believe that abortion is a consequence of an even greater sin: disobedience. Especially when it comes to sex. Let us not be so quick to judge. We are not without sin. Think about it.

How many of us honestly were virgins when we got married?

How many of us women have gotten pregnant and decided to get married while pregnant to “make things look right”?

How many of us have lived with our boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/fiancee before marriage?

How many of us have not taught our children about sex to the point of acting like it doesn’t exist until after marriage, and expecting that it will stop them from having premarital sex?

Any of these things can lead to a situation where one feels that they “need” an abortion. Let be real with ourselves. We are not perfect, but we can strive to be as much as we can through obedience and discipline. Most priests are not even encouraging us in their homilies to discipline ourselves when it comes to sex.

How does one best love Jesus?
Would you bestow an honor on a proponent of genocide? Why muddy the waters to the detriment of the children in the future, and to the detriment of life in the future, including the resultant increase in euthanasia that’s to come. Why provide a boost to the culture of death. Regarding the love of God, what does that look like to you? Do you think it is tolerant of evil doers and evil deeds? Do you think it facilitates them? Does it speak Truth to Power or does it merely wash its hands?

There are genocides of people (not necessarily babies) on this very earth occurring all over the world. Where is the outrage? Do cute little babies deserve more outrage than marginalized children, mentally ill, homeless? I don’t think so. All life is important. They were babies once too.

Silence on in vitro fertilization from the protesters who protest against embryonic stem cell research. Where do you think these embryos are coming from? I have to search this forum for topics on IVF. I don’t have to do so for abortion or ESR. Would you be willing to pay a tax to help with the costs of keeping unwanted embryos frozen?

Silence on divorce from the protesters who protest against gay marriage. The biggest threat to marriage today is not gay marriage - it’s divorce. Marriage is increasingly being seen as a temporary/as is/revocable contract instead of a sacred commitment between man and woman.

When there is a problem I like to think of the big picture. That way I can see the core of the problem. Fixing the mere manifestations of the problem is like putting a tiny band-aid over a bullet wound. It may appear to fix it…for a time. We as Christians need to address the core problems that are resulting in these societal ills. It will only get worse from here if we don’t get back to basics.

God bless.

LoveJesus: The Catholic Church is one of the few institutions I know of that is speaking out on every problem you mentioned: divorce, cohabitation, premarital sex, ESCR, extramarital sex, adultery, fornication.

Church teaching is clear on these issues, and I’ve seen them addressed quite often in this forum. Yes, it is true. If everyone would follow Catholic teachings on these issues, there would be no abortion.

None of that means that we must not speak out on one million deaths by abortion every single year. None of that means that we must not oppose the pro-abortion programs of a pro-abortion president.

Priests are supposed to use the homily to explain the day’s readings, especially the Gospel. The homily may be used to address moral issues, but the focus should usually be on the gospel readings.

Is there any doubt where the Catholic Church stands on those issues? Is there any doubt where the Church stands on abortion? There surely should not be any doubt at Notre Dame University. And yet the university took this opportunity to praise a pro-abortion president.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.