Full text of President Obama’s 2014 address to the United Nations General Assembly

Remarks As Prepared for Delivery by President Barack Obama

Address to the United Nations General Assembly

September 24, 2014

washingtonpost.com/politics/full-text-of-president-obamas-2014-address-to-the-united-nations-general-assembly/2014/09/24/88889e46-43f4-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Video
c-span.org/video/?321677-1/meeting-un-general-assembly#

The future of human civilization depends on eliminating the scourge of violent, divisive extremism, U.S. President Barack Obama said Wednesday in a powerful plea to the United Nations General Assembly for collective action.

“It is no exaggeration to say that humanity’s future depends on us uniting against those who would divide us along fault lines of tribe or sect; race or religion,” the president said.

He particularly denounced the Islamic State, whose black-clad jihadists have carved out a proto-caliphate across much of eastern Syria and western Iraq as an evil that must be eradicated.

Islamic State and other violent Muslim extremists pose a new and more “lethal and ideological brand of terrorists who have perverted one of the world’s great religions,” Mr. Obama said, barely a day after U.S. warplanes escalated a new and borderless war bombing the nascent caliphate.

The president, who also denounced Moscow for resorting to big-power bullying tactics and called on nations to stop ignoring the plight of millions facing Ebola, saved his loudest call for action in a concerted, global effort to stamp out violent extremism.

“We reject any suggestion of a clash of civilizations,” he said, but added the world must confront the stark reality that proxy wars and sectarian strife threaten to unravel great strides of human progress.

In a world racked by multiple simultaneous crises – conflict in Ukraine, Ebola raging in West Africa, the Middle East aflame and refugees fleeing in hundreds of thousands, the greatest exodus since the Second World War – President Obama urged leaders, especially in the Middle East, to seek peaceful outcomes…

“It is time to acknowledge the destruction wrought by proxy wars and terror campaigns between Sunni and Shia across the Middle East,” he said, adding: “It is time that political, civic and religious leaders reject sectarian strife.”

theglobeandmail.com/news/world/obama-denounces-lethal-brand-of-extremism-in-un-speech/article20757520/

“Today, whether you live in downtown New York or in my grandmother’s village more than two hundred miles from Nairobi, you can hold in your hand more information than the world’s greatest libraries,” he said.

“I often tell young people in the United States that this is the best time in human history to be born, for you are more likely than ever before to be literate, to be healthy, and to be free to pursue your dreams.”

Good post thanks. I was just reading this link.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.haaretz.com%2Fnews%2Fmiddle-east%2Fmiddle-east-updates%2F1.617308&ei=N-kiVKqfIY2AygSktoCADA&usg=AFQjCNHAcboUzl74aUeHXQxIWwtLzdI9ew

7:44 P.M. The United Nations secretary-general has welcomed airstrikes against militants in Syria which he says pose “an immediate threat to international peace and security.” In opening remarks at a climate summit press conference Tuesday, Ban urged world leaders gathered in New York “to come together decisively” in support of efforts to confront extremist groups. Ban cautioned, however, that parties involved in the airstrikes must abide by international humanitarian law and take all precautions to avoid and minimize civilian casualties. (AP)

“This is a fight you cannot opt out of,” Cameron told NBC News in an interview on Tuesday. “These people want to kill us. They’ve got us in their sights and we have to put together this coalition…to make sure that we ultimately destroy this evil organization.” (Reuters)

4:21 P.M.The relationship between Iran and Saudi Arabia deserves to be better, though differences between the two Middle Eastern states appear to be narrowing, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday. “Our relationship with Saudi Arabia … deserves to be warmer,” said Rouhani. (Reuters)

What has Assad done to stop Isis? Nothing because its not his interest, in fact he is working with Isis by his own agenda.

There’s another beheading by Isis today of a man from France who was just recently taken hostage.

Personally I’m disgusted by our media distinguishing president Obama with the word: “this”;
So I’m stating here that THE president of THE USA gave a great speech today that may make the history books alongside the “Gettysburg Address” … :shrug:
only thing I still hate is the way he sly smiles and struts up to the podium. :stuck_out_tongue:

However, imvho our president needs to read some passages of some religious books which I believe he may realize are the root cause of radical and violent behavior of their followers;
And it is also imvho that until these passages of some religious books are either removed or at least rephrased that ““lethal and ideological brand of terrorists who have perverted one of the world’s great religions”” may just continue indefinitely to do so. :eek: :shrug:

rex

Have you read the Old Testament? A lot of works that were written in the past are very violent. That is the way the world was back then.

Yes, I realize there are words in the OT also which promote violent and radical behavior and my use of “some religious books” doesn’t exclude it.

rex

The issue isn’t the scripture. It is how it is taught. We’ve seen that before.

Some scripture of some religions can be taken too literally, but some scripture of some religions literally need to be pacified by the teacher except there are doubtfully enough pacifist teachers to accommodate the number of followers imvho.

PS:
Use the search …
I did.

rex

Apparently it is still the way of the world. Come to think of it, when hasn’t it been the way it was back then and the way it is still now in today’s world? :shrug:

Interesting! God Bless, Memaw

At the same time, we have reaffirmed that the United States is not and never will be at war with Islam.** Islam teaches peace.** Said President Obama

umm…Islam is defined by Mohammed and Allah. Is President Obama telling us what Islam is?

Which definition should we believe?

No God condones this terror. No grievance justifies these actions. There can be no reasoning – no negotiation – with this brand of evil. The only language understood by killers like this is the language of force. So the United States of America will work with a broad coalition to dismantle this network of death.

Six years in, and its OBH is starting to sound a lot like Bush and Cheney.

Good for him.The answer to terrorism is not negotiation. They must be hunted down and killed.

Greta van Susteren showed the speech Bush gave before the UN and Obama seems to have followed his outline. Obama was trying to sound tough on terrorism. I just don’t trust him. He thinks he is so clever.

I always hate it when Obama speaks at the UN because he has such an air of self importance and I just don’t ever know what is going through his head-if he really believes what he is saying.

I don’t know why he needed to bring up Ferguson , Missouri.

Same here
And comparing Ferguson to the brutality of IS is outrageous. One man is killed by a cop …thousands of men savagely kill thousands of innocent people and displacing thousands and thousands of others.

By giving this comparison, Pres. Obama actually fuels the pseudo self righteousness of the our own homegrown violent protestors in Ferguson and elsewhere.

Nearly everything about this speech is overall agitating and not to me personally.

My perception is that he continues to cuddle Muslims here and abroad.

He said in other words ‘We are coming in for a spanking’ for several weeks. If my parents said that I would have ran to put a pillow on my rear end. 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 ready or not here we come…does he think it is a game?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.