Fullness of the faith arguement points?

Hi I am currently in a dialouge with a good friend who is Baptist. What is a good way to explain that the Catholic Church is the fullness of the faith? Should I start with Authority? Scripture? what?

Is this also a logical arguement:

If Christ founded Church X and that Church believes and teaches A-F.

And Church Z came out of Church X but only believes in G and H. Then Church X contains the beliefs of Z AND X?

thanks

I have been in a similar discussion before and have found that the best way to aproach the topic is by studying the early Church. I can give an example of the Catholic Church and the gnostics who were prevelant in the begining. Since at that time, the early Christians did not have the completed Scripture at their disposal, unlike we do now, people had make their judgements on which group held the Truth. The gnostics (gno=know) held that they had superior revelation from God that the true Church. All people could at that time is to judge by the fruit of the two groups and remember who actually followed and walked with our Lord. Catholics follow this successorship of authority who safe keep this fullness of truth.

Hi;
I would say that it is God that save us and there is nothing that we can do to save ourselfs so God would not save us without giving all true Christian the fullness of the faith.

I recommend reading the first part of Lumen Gentium, especially chapter 2.

God did that when He gave us Jesus who founded the catholic church. That church provides the fullness of the faith. Protestants left the church and turned their back on the fullness of the faith. Other christians might believe in the same God and Christ, but they’re missing the whole picture.

Jesus founded the church to help us to salvation. God’s Kingdom isn’t a democracy, and salvation isn’t a referendum. Jesus showed us the way. And that way is the catholic church.

That’s not quite a correct analogy. It’s more like Christ founded church X and that church believes and teaches A-Z. Church z came out of church x and only believes and teaches A and B. Church X has the fullness of faith.

If i were you i would get hold of : ROME SWEET HOME , BY PROTESTANT CONVERT , SCOTT HAHN. His explanation of why he found his home in our church will help you to explain the basics of the faith to your friend…very inspiring read i can assure you…BEST WISHES !!!:thumbsup: :highprayer:

Hi,
I have heard this phrase often here and dont quite know what you mean.

What do you mean by fullness of the faith?

The fullness of the faith is this. Every single thing Christ wants us to know, we know it. Also every tool (Sacraments) we need (normal way) to to receive grace, we have it.

( Eph 1:22-23) “And he put all things beneath his feet and gave him as head over all things **to the Church **which is his body, the FULLNESS of the one who fills all things in every way.”)
The Church is the FULLNESS of the Truth.

Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and Teaching Magesterium= fullness or complete revelation of God.

Don’t forget the sacraments. They are Jesus’ gifts to us through the church.

There is nothing we did to recieve the grace of God, but not all accept His grace. It is up to us to submit to His will. Therefore we are active in our own salvation which has been offered for us at the cross. It is our free will, that was given to us by Him, to accept Him and continue to abide in Him everyday at every moment. I fail to understand how we do not need to participate in our own salvation, according to your comment.

The sacraments are biblical and part of Tradition we recieve in the Church.

Hi,

Thank you all for answering me.:thumbsup:

We all become a part of the body of Christ which is the Church when God saves us, so we all have the fullnes of the faith.

That is exactly what I believe:thumbsup:

Amen !

Which church?

If it’s not the catholic church you’re not getting the fullness of faith.

The bible says different

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.