Fulton Sheen sainthood effort halted

pjstar.com/article/20140903/NEWS/140909693?sect=Top+Stories&map=12690

Good article, thought provoking, it seems the controversy seems to revolve around the issue of transferring his remains. Probably why it’s a good idea to at least post a few paragraphs of the linked story. From the headline, one could imagine anything.

However, apparently the Archdiocese of New York denied Jenky’s request to move Sheen’s remains to Peoria for the process of official inspection and to take first class relics from the remains.

“After further discussion with Rome, it was decided that the Sheen cause would now have to be relegated to the Congregation’s historic archive,” the diocese said in a statement thanking supporters for the donations of time and money they have made to the cause.
The statement also notes that Jenky had been “personally assured” repeatedly that the transfer of Sheen’s remains would take place, and that the change of mind only occurred after the canonization effort “had reached a significant stage.”
Cautioning that similar efforts have taken decades or centuries, Jenky urged in the statement that supporters should “continue their prayers that God’s will be made manifest.”

Read more: pjstar.com/article/20140903/News/140909693#ixzz3CIuQW4cJ

June, Archbishop Fulton Sheen miracle: Approved!

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/06/18/vatican-theologians-approve-fulton-sheen-miracle/

As a normal part of the sainthood process, the theologians met to consider whether or not the promoters of Archbishop Sheen’s cause demonstrated that the proposed miracle — the survival of a child delivered stillborn – occurred after prayers for the intercession of Archbishop Sheen alone.

In March, a seven-member board of physicians convoked by the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints agreed that there was no natural explanation for why the child’s heart started beating over an hour after his birth.

The child, James Fulton Engstrom, is now three years old and developing normally. His mother, Bonnie Engstrom, said she had no precomposed prayer asking for help from Archbishop Sheen. “I just kept repeating his name over and over in my head: Fulton Sheen, Fulton Sheen, Fulton Sheen,” said Ms Engstrom.

They use to play some of his programs late at night on a station here, not sure if they still do it. What a great man!

So the fact that NYC refuses to transfer the remains means that the miracle cannot be approved? I personally think that there is something else going on.

This has always been a sticky point in Sheen’s cause.

It’s my understanding it was his personal wish to be interred in NY. I think the NY archdiocese is wanting to honor that wish. But I could be mistaken.

Certainly unclear why the canonical inspection of his remains and the relic-taking could not be performed in New York. There’s gotta be more to this.

That has been my thought as well.

My guess is it has something to do with money.

Jesus, lamb of God, remove all obstacles to this holy mans canonisation

It seems likely that the bishop of Peoria doesn’t want to fund and do the work of the cause only to have the national shrine of a future saint located in the archdiocese of New York. Cardinal Dolan can now take up the cause.

I don’t worry. Nor does this great “saint” I bet.

There has been long conflict between the two diocese over the canonization of Bishop Sheen. During his lifetime, Bishop Sheen also had to deal with such parochial conflicts.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Archbishop_Fulton_Sheen_who_died_in_1979_and_whose_cause_for_beatification_is_open_CNA.jpgRome, Italy, Sep 4, 2014 / 07:32 am (CNA/EWTN News).- In the wake of the suspension of Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s cause for canonization due to an ownership dispute of his remains, the office promoting his sainthood says it doesn’t expect the halt to last long.

Postulator Dr. Andrea Ambrosi “has been aware of the issue regarding the transfer of Archbishop Sheen's remains, but does not believe that this will be a lasting impediment,” his office said in comments made to CNA Sept. 4.

He expects “that the suspension of the cause will be temporary, since there are many people still committed to this cause and the Beatification of Archbishop Sheen,” they explained. “At this point, however, he cannot give a timeframe as it depends upon negotiations between others.”

Dr. Ambrosi was chosen by the Archbishop Fulton Sheen Foundation a number of years ago to serve as the postulator for the cause, and represents it before the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.

The suspension of Archbishop Sheen’s cause was announced “with sadness” by Bishop Daniel R. Jenky of Peoria, President of the Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Foundation, in a Sept. 3 statement published on the diocese’s website.

Explaining how the Holy See “expected that the remains of Venerable Sheen would be moved to Peoria where official inspection would be made and first class relics be taken,” the statement said that the Archdiocese of New York had denied Bishop Jenky's request to move the body to Peoria.

“After further discussion with Rome, it was decided that the Sheen Cause would now have to be relegated to the Congregation’s historic archive.”

The diocese recognized explained that Bishop Jenky was “personally assured on several occasions” by the New York archdiocese that “the transfer of the body would take place at the appropriate time.”

“New York’s change of mind took place as the work on behalf of the Cause had reached a significant stage,” the statement read, explaining how Bishop Jenky has “prayed and labored” for Archbishop Sheen’s canonization for the last 12 years.

“The Bishop is heartbroken not only for his flock in Peoria but also for the many supporters of the Sheen Cause from throughout the world who have so generously supported Peoria’s efforts.”

Dr.  Ambrosi's office explained that although “Issues like this between two dioceses that lead to the suspension of a cause at this point in the process are very rare,” they believe “that this matter can be resolved.”

“Negotiations on this particular issue of the transfer of the remains of Archbishop Fulton Sheen have been handled primarily between the representatives of the Diocese of Peoria and the Archdiocese of New York,” they observed.

On how the postulator has been “aware of the issue regarding the transfer of Archbishop Sheen's remains,” the office said that he “does not believe that this will be a lasting impediment, but that the suspension of the cause will be temporary.”

In 2012, retired pontiff Benedict XVI authorized a decree that recognized the heroic virtues of the beloved host of the “Catholic Hour” radio show and the ABC television show “Life is Worth Living.”

Archbishop Fulton Sheen authored many books and headed the Society for the Propagation of the Faith. He served as an auxiliary bishop of New York and as Bishop of Rochester.

He continued to be a leading figure in U.S. Catholicism until his death in 1979 at the age of 84.

His cause for sainthood was opened in 2002. An authenticated miracle is now needed for Ven. Fulton Sheen to be beatified, the last step before canonization.

Despite the immense sadness on the part of Bishop Jenky and the Church in Peoria at the delay of Archbishop Sheen’s cause, the diocese affirmed that “saints are always made by God not by man.”

“Efforts for many causes have sometimes taken decades or even centuries. Bishop Jenky urges that those who support the Sheen Cause continue their prayers that God’s will be made manifest.”

Alan Holdren contributed to this report.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/fYHw3ncF4Hk

Full article…

Here is the statement from the Diocese of Peoria:

It is with immense sadness that the Most Reverend Daniel R. Jenky, CSC, Bishop of Peoria and President of the Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Foundation, announced today that the Cause for Sheen’s beatification and canonization has for the foreseeable future been suspended. The process to verify a possible miracle attributed to Sheen had been going extremely well, and only awaited a vote of the Cardinals and the approval of the Holy Father. There was every indication that a possible date for beatification in Peoria would have been scheduled for as early as the coming year. The Holy See expected that the remains of Venerable Sheen would be moved to Peoria where official inspection would be made and first class relics be taken. Subsequently, the Archdiocese of New York denied Bishop Jenky’s request to move the body to Peoria. After further discussion with Rome, it was decided that the Sheen Cause would now have to be relegated to the Congregation’s historic archive.

Countless supporters especially from the local church in Central Illinois have given their time, treasure and talent for this good work with the clear understanding that the body of Venerable Sheen would return to the Diocese. Bishop Jenky was personally assured on several occasions by the Archdiocese of New York that the transfer of the body would take place at the appropriate time. New York’s change of mind took place as the work on behalf of the Cause had reached a significant stage.

Bishop Jenky is what is technically called the “actor” of the Sheen Cause. The Diocese of Peoria and the Sheen Foundation have prayed and labored for this good work for the last twelve years. The Bishop is heartbroken not only for his flock in Peoria but also for the many supporters of the Sheen Cause from throughout the world who have so generously supported Peoria’s efforts. It should be noted, however, that saints are always made by God not by man. Efforts for many causes have sometimes taken decades or even centuries. Bishop Jenky urges that those who support the Sheen Cause continue their prayers that God’s will be made manifest.

No further comment will be released at this time.

The Archdiocese of New York is too busy making gay okay and threatening Summorum Pontificum supporters to take up an insignificant cause such as this, I suppose.

I can’t make any sense of this. Because the diocese isn’t willing to move the body, they will have to stop his beatification? :confused:

There’s probably some truth to all of the above.

I wonder if it may also have something to do with +Dolan’s predecessor, Francis Cardinal Spellman, as mentioned in +Sheen’s Wikipedia article.

Ouch! A lot of cynicism going on here.

I think we should avoid impugning sinister motives to people unless proven otherwise. I’m sure there is a lot more going on than any of us have a right to know. It will all get sorted out eventually.

Venerable Fulton Sheen, pray for us.

Really sorry to hear this.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.