Fun with JWs

So I’m sitting in Dunkin’ Donuts this morning reading a book entitled “How the Bible Became a Book”. It is an excellent book and I recommend it to anyone who is serious about the subject. Ton of valuable information and very well written.

Anyway, as I getting up to leave, this young man says “excuse me, I couldn’t help noticing the book you were reading.” I thought he was interested in the book but then he says, “You might want to read this.” And he hands me a little book from the Watchtower.

I look at the book, which has a lot of pictures and small words. And then I look at my book, which has a lot of footnotes and Aramaic. And I just started laughing.

Classic.

What was the book he gave you?

yeah, what book did he give you?

You didn’t say boo or hit him over the head with your purse?:slight_smile:

I think it was called the Truth about the Bible. Or the Truth about God.

Despite my use of the phrase “young man”, I’m a guy.

Was it “The Truth That Sets You Free” ? Small slinder blue book? If so, that’s a very old publication. It was around in the late 1960’s maybe even before. I recall in my JW days that this was “THE” book to get people to study on their way to JW land. Maybe it’s been updated? Maybe I would have peed my pants if I was there and witnessed the event first hand.

so are you going to fill out the back page and mail it in for a free bible study?
:slight_smile:

As it turns out, I didn’t throw it away, I threw it in my breifcase. It’s caled "What Does teh Bible Really Teach?

One Chapter is entitled “Knowing the Truth About Death is Beneficial.” Can’t argue with that.**

I hope you’re reading about your present from the Catholic church in that book, otherwise i’d take it back for a refund (I kid, i kid! :rotfl:)

Anyway, as I getting up to leave, this young man says “excuse me, I couldn’t help noticing the book you were reading.” I thought he was interested in the book but then he says, “You might want to read this.” And he hands me a little book from the Watchtower.

I look at the book, which has a lot of pictures and small words. And then I look at my book, which has a lot of footnotes and Aramaic. And I just started laughing.

Oh boy do I have one for you… It’s sunday morning, i’m in a rush to get ready for Mass. There’s a knock on the door and two JW types are there to tell me about a free bible study for people who blah blah blah ZZZZzzzzz… At any rate, the dog slips out the front door too (he likes new people A LOT). I inform our uninvited guests that they need to ignore the dog because, being a cocker, he pees when excited.

At any rate, good old tommy (short for thomas aquinas) puts his front paws up on the guy standing in back, and the guy reaches down to pet him. BAM! Tommy lets the guy have it full bore. I pretend not to notice, and the OTHER guy obviously didn’t see because he keeps talking merrily along. JW number 2, the pee victim, is wiggling his foot uncomfortably and finally says “well, we’ve got a lot of houses to hit, we’d better get going.”

I say my goodbye, call tommy inside where he goes to hide (he knows he’s normally in trouble when he pees. I think he was a bit confused when i gave him a doggy treat… I hope God’s not mad at me for enjoying that lovely little pre-mass moment.

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[quote=promethius95945]Oh boy do I have one for you… It’s sunday morning, i’m in a rush to get ready for Mass. I hope God’s not mad at me for enjoying that lovely little pre-mass moment.
[/quote]

Prometheus’ story reminds me of one of my own:

About 15 years ago, I had just finished nursing my firstborn when the doorbell rings. Sure enough, it is a pair of JWs. I listened politely, waiting for an opening in the conversation so I can tell them, kindly, “No Thank You.” All the while I was patting my son on the back in an effort to burp him. All of a sudden, he turns and looks at the JWs through our screen door and burps up all that I had just fed him! All the mess was right at their eye level. What a surprise – they left real quick after that!

What did he say when you started laughing (or did you not laugh in front of him?)

Catholig

Somebody said "out of the mouth of babes…"
Perhaps they have come to need milk and not solid food (heb. 5.12).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.