Fund Raising during Mass

Any thoughts or reaction to the solicitation of funds etc. just after the Homily. It seems to me that since we have entered into the ‘high-tech’ world in our churches, we now have more video clips and Power Point presentations during Mass. Is this really permitted? I know that the church need to raise funds for “PSA”, retired clergy, and a half dozen other needy organizations. But is this suppose to be done during the Mass? I know of one Parish that an Order of Priest serve the Parish and they do not allow it. They should the Bishop’s message in the hall, if people want to hear it. Isn’t that a better approach?

Asking for funds at Mass is a long standing Catholic tradition.

As for using electronic media to do so… forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=945376

Virtually this same question is under discussion here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=945376

“virtually” LOL You crack me up…
freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-music024.gif

Yes, this seems to be a re-hash of the other threads. Yes, fund raising during Mass seems to be tacky. If you relegate it to a presentation after Mass or in the parish hall, though, no one would stay to listen.

:tiphat:

In our church, the appeal for charity was not before or after the homily.

It WAS the homily.

We usually have this after Mass but occasionally the pastor has used this for the homily. However, I remember growing up in the fifties, the pastors frequently did this either before or after the homily. I remember my dad griping over it.

However, the power point thing for some reason turns me off even if it is used after Mass because the Eucharist is still there. I think a better idea would be to put an insert in the bulletin with a reminder to look at it.

I’ve found too that after Mass, a lot of people get restless or impatient hearing this especially if the Mass was long and another one is to begin.

It is a consistent statistic that Catholics are among the poorest givers, per person or household, of pretty much all the churches.

So it should come as no surprise that people may be upset with requests for giving for the bishop’s appeal, or for the retirement of religious, or Catholic Charities, or for that matter, even giving regularly to the parish.

Our pastor noted this last Sunday that we reached a goal of 90% of what the archbishop hoped to receive from the parish; but that was done by about something like 24 or 27% of households.

The other 73 to 76% apparently were “turned off” about it.

And that is a sad statement of stewardship.

Before we haphazardly cast judgement on those who do not contribute to the appeals that we think they should it would be wise to consider that they may be contributing significantly to other appeals or in other ways. We are required to support the Church and parish but nowhere is it dictated that this or that appeal of which there seems no end is a specific requirement.

Yes. I’ve worked in several parishes…and in each one, about 25% of the people funded the whole place, all of it’s debts, expenses, and taxes (Appeals) from the Diocese.
Once, our pastor asked people to up their contribution by $3 a week. He said if people did that, and if those who didn’t ever give would START giving $3 a week, then we could build a new parish youth center for the kids. It lasted about a month.
We never got the building. :frowning:

Where charity and love prevail,

There God is ever found…

“Why, why… of all the… What right does HE have to tell us what to give?! What does he think we are - made out of money?!” :shrug:

Sorry, but I have seen the statistics of our own parish. It is not like I am in an inner city parish where people are hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

People have been generous in our parish, and I don’t fault that. Some have been very generous; we have made an addition on the church; built the first Catholic grade school in 40 years in Oregon, and added a new gym.

I didn’t suggest all should have given. When 70% don’t give, there is a problem. The 70% represents a bit over 700 families. If 400 of the remaining 700 had each stuck in $10, we would have sent an additional $4,000 - and $10 is chicken feed - 3 lattes for the year.

And for those who go to Mass on a weekly basis, you pretty much will hear of a number of appeals.

Maybe it is just me, but I take a set percentage of my net at the beginning of the year; of that I give 50% to the parish; and divide the remaining 50% over the archdiocese, our seminary, and the remainder to other charities. Maybe it is just me, but I see our diocese as the second greatest need; and it is simple - it goes out monthly.

I know that others do the same thing; they have a budget and they plan; but there are a whole lot of people who do no planning, and throw a dollar or a 5 if they have it, when the collection comes by. And the rest can go fly.

We all make our priorities.

Yesterday I was talking to a woman in the parish about this very thing: A couple of years ago, she and her husband gave a pretty good amount in the Annual Appeal. A month or so later, they were invited to a “Gala” given for those who had given over a certain amount.
She returned the invitation with a note saying “thank you, but this is not what we intended the money to be spent on”.
When the Diocese believes that they have to pamper the heavy givers or else they might take their wallets elsewhere, you know that people are not giving across the board.

It gets worse than that when the people start screaming for removal of the church’s tax-exempt status when they themselves don’t get that benefit. Just sayin…

It gets worse than that when the people start screaming for removal of the church’s property tax exemption when they themselves don’t get that benefit. Just sayin…

It is sad. People often state they are “offended” by the cost of utilities, groceries, cable and internet etc, yet they don’t let the fact that they are “turned off” keep them from paying the bill.

Somehow God is expected to “provide” for the needs of the Church but they seem less confident in God when it comes to their household bills, there they are willing to put some elbow grease in.

They want God to work in their real day to day lives, but don’t think that hard core reality should apply when it comes to heating the Church etc.

St Francis is hailed for going around with his begging bowl etc, but when Fr does it via the pulpit, bulletin, or mailing suddenly it is considered anything BUT saintly.

This post of mine has gotten off of track! I was not concerned about fund raising, but that it is done during the Mass. As I read the GIRM, no one, even a priest is to add or take away from the Mass. It is suppose to be one continuous praise of God from beginning to end. Fund raising , appeals to join the boy scouts, food pantry collection announcements, in my understanding of the GIRM, should be done outside of the Mass!

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.