Fundamentalists

Their success is partly due to their discipline. For all their talk about the Catholic Church being “rule-laden,” there are perhaps no Christians who operate in a more regimented manner. Their rules—non-biblical rules, one might add—extend not just to religion and religious practices proper, but to facets of everyday life. Most people are familiar with their strictures on drinking, gambling, dancing, and smoking

Fundamentalists also are intensely involved in their local congregations. Many people returning to the Catholic Church from Fundamentalism complain that as Fundamentalists they had no time or room for themselves; everything centered around the church. All their friends were members; all their social activities were staged by it. Not to attend Wednesday evening services (in addition to one or two services on Sunday), not to participate in the Bible studies and youth groups, not to dress and act like everyone else in the congregation—these immediately put one beyond the pale; and in a small church (few Fundamentalist churches have more than a hundred members) this meant being ostracized, a silent invitation to conform or to worship elsewhere.

Nevertheless, despite the criticism Fundamentalists sometimes receive, they do undertake the praiseworthy task of adhering to certain key Christian tenets in a society that has all too often forgotten about Christ.

I am a Independent Fundamental Baptist 2nd
and a Christian 1st .

I guess I should go to the Catholic Church its to hard to be a Independent Fundamental Baptist.(non-biblical rules, one might add) I need more time for myself .So I can drink, smoke ,gamble and do some real ill stuff. I want to to go to church with my shorts on and half shirt too !

I Samuel 16: 7 “But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

There you have it! This won’t take long because God is not worried about how we dress! Right? Some would think so but let’s examine closer.
It was stated in the last session: Balance is our Goal. I want to show you that the way you choose to dress is both RELATIVE & IMPORTANT! (but not to impress God) If you want to impress God then concentrate on your spirit, attitude & inner values.

NOTICE: vs 7 does not say God approves of ungodly dress. BUT it shows that He does not evaluate us totally on that level alone. *** One thing vs 7 does show, is that God looks where man can’t. BUT MAN DOES LOOK ON THE OUTWARD APPEARANCE because that’s all he can see! THAT’S WHY IT’S IMPORTANT! This verse is NOT a valid argument to say our attire is not important, if anything, it is a verse to argue the opposite! How we dress is important because man looks at it!

apostolic.edu/biblestudy/files/bwahprt2.htm

Why do you wish to become a Catholic?

You’re painting with a mighty broad brush. At one point you mention independent Baptists, then you copy & paste from an “apostolic” website. They don’t even believe in the Trinity.

Defining “fundamentalist” accurately is a tough job. It makes the term somewhat unsatisfactory when you want to mention specific criticisms. For instance, the church I attend has over 200 present for Sunday morning worship, and we don’t consider ourselves “big” compared to sister churches. Yet you wrote that fundamentalist churches are usually under 100.

Would you consider Southern Baptists to be fundamentalists? Here in Memphis, Bellevue Baptist Church has over 20,000 in membership.

Some people are addicted to fundamentalist religion. Have you ever heard of an organization known as Fundamentalists Anonymous? Seems from the frantic character of your posts that you might have need of a 12-step program of SOME kind.

First highlight: there are over 300,000 Catholic Masses every day all over the world… following Jesus example and “… as often as you do this…”

Second highlight: are you trying to tell us you don’t drink, smoke gamble and do real ill stuff (like posting silly stuff)… or are you suggesting, offensively, that these things are Catholic things.:confused:

Locally, we had a number of self-proclaimed fundamentalists “sheep-stealing” with brochures and tracts etc on cars in Catholic Church parking lots.

It only took the efforts of the two Catholic Pastors to first meet with them (along with Steve Ray and Gary Michuta - that blew their theology back to where it belongs), and then the followup conferences (3 so far) that are instructing Catholics in their faith.

You see, it is not that fundamentalist have a strong or stronger position… or even any level of Baptists either…

It is uninformed Catholics that make for easy prey.

A semi-informed Catholic can share more truth than any of our separated brethren. And of course, as understood over the last 20 centuries… the fullness of the Truth is found ONLY in the Catholic Church.

other than that… welcome to CA

the Truth is only found in the Catholic Church :hmmm: I thought the Truth was Only found in the Lord Jesus Christ…you learn something new everyday.

do they have a web page?

I googled them:

fundamentalists-anonymous.org/

What the OP said was that the “fullness” of Truth is found in the Catholic Church. That means other churches have some of the truth, but not all of it. I’m sure everyone knows great Christians who are not Catholics.

We believe that the Church is the “pillar and bulwark of truth” and the Body of Christ, like the Bible says. If Christ is the Head and the Church is the Body, then yes, the Truth is found in the Church, which is part of Christ. :slight_smile:

Try this:

angelfire.com/ny5/dvera/CoEvan/exFundyXian.html

And this:

edwardtbabinski.us/fundamentalists/helpful_links.html

I scanned across these after doing a search using Fundamentalists anonymous as keywords. Unfortunately, there seems to be a tendency to lead people not just away from fundamentalism, but also away from faith altogether. OTOH, having been a fundamentalist myself, and having known quite a few others who were truly ill with it, I almost (but not quite) think a person is better off without faith than to be a true fundamentalist. I did a lot of damage when I was one. I still cringe when I think of the things I did and said to people, all the while believing I was doing the Lord’s work.

But don’t take me too seriously, brother. I tend to be a little hyperbolic at times. I’m not saying for sure I think you’re addicted to religion. I have known many people who were addicted to it, and I have been addicted to it. For me, it was a replacement for drugs. I went into a pentecostal cult-like group searching for that lightning bolt from heaven that, from all appearances, looked like quite a nice “high.” I realize that there are many very clear-headed fundamentalists who are deephearted people, love the Lord, know their Bible, and I’m sure you’re one of those.

are you kidding me with this site you should read it first before you post it.:slight_smile:

How can the Catholic church clain to have the fullness of the truth when it rejects

1. Sola Gratis

2. Sola Fida

3. Solo Christo

4. Sola Scriptura

5. Soli Deo Gloria

6. OSAS

Show me where those are in the bible. We believe in number 3 and 4.

Catholic Doctrinal Concordance
God, One and True God’s nature, Trinity, and Jesus
God’s Creatures Mary, Man, Angels, Saints, and the devil
God’s Remedies Grace, The Church, Scripture, and Sacraments
God’s Gifts Faith, Hope, Love, and Prayer
The Last Things Death, Purgatory, Heaven, and Hell
Additional Topics Apologetics, and topics of dispute with
other Christians
Links Great Catholic links
infpage.com/concordance/

Hi Truthnlight, did you know that the early church meet every mourning before sunrise for worship? And, the apostles joined daily prayer times in the temple?

For Judaism there had always been a constant cycle of prayers, blessings and meals: daily, weekly, monthly and annually. These constituted the second focus of worship for the Jews. In its most regular form it included practices in the daily hours of prayers and the annual High Feast Days. The High Feast Days included the sacrificial offerings of the Temple and contained Jewish messianic expectation. These meals included the “breaking of bread” and the “blessing of the cup”, and contained parallels with both the temple sacrifice and the messianic feast.

Besides the structure or order of worship that came from Judaism into Christianity, one can also find the cycles of liturgy — the daily, weekly and yearly cycles of worship-coming from the Old Testament as well. Acts 2:46 says that “day by day, continuing steadfastly with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread at home, they took their food with gladness and singleness of heart”. On a daily basis the Apostles continued their Jewish worship practices in the temple, and on a daily basis broke the bread of communion. This regularity of time is further confirmed in Acts 3:1 where Peter and John were going to the temple because it was the hour of prayer. Not only did they continue in Jewish worship practice, but they kept the liturgical cycle of daily prayers at set hours of the day as well as the major feast days.

liturgica.com/html/litEChLitDev.jsp?hostname=LM

read this book, Worship in the Early Church by Ralph P. Martin

If you really want to know what truly defines a christian fundamentalist read the Fundamentals
google.com/search?hl=en&q=the+fundamentals+online+christian

The Truth is not something, it is somebody, and His Name is Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ, in the Real Presence of the Eucharist, is found only in the Catholic Church.

Additionally, there really is only one church. All other religious groups are faith communities, no more.

As for the Church, … no Eucharist, no Church.

Non-Catholics can simply disregard the Real Presence, and then feel like they aren’t missing anything… sad.

I honestly thought catholics were in agreement with Christ Alone, which describes Jesus unique position as our Lord and Savior.

Only Jesus could enter heaven to place his blood on the altar, the blood of any unholy man who is also not God would surfice,

Hebrews 9:23-28 (King James Version)

23It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

24For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

25Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

26For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

28So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Jesus alone is the mediator of the covenant, note the unique meaning of mediator here,

1 Timothy 2:5-7 (King James Version)

5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

7Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Peter himself declares that there is no other name by which a man can be saved other than the name Jesus. (Acts 4:11)

Jesus is our only high priest,

Hebrews 9:11-15 (King James Version)

11But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

12Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

So, what part of “Christ Alone” do catholics disagree with?

It is true than too many Catholics cannot express correctly what it is that they believe. The Creed is of much help in that regard.

But in a single sentence… Catholic believe in Sola Dei Verbum

That is “Only The Word Of God”

The questions then becomes… where is the Word of God found?

1] in the scriptures… absolutely - but not entirely (so say the scriptures)

2] in Jesus Christ… absolutely - He is The Word

3] in other faith communities… absolutly, in a sadly limited degree (their choice)

4] in faith… not really… we believe we are saved by Grace alone, through Faith alone, acting in Love (and the greatest of these is Love/Charity)

5] OSAS… silly copout to avoid so much of what graces Jesus gives us (like the sacraments for 1, I mean 7) … St Paul, the Catholic Apostle to the Gentiles even asked others to pray that HE not lose his salvation/justification. I (and you, I presume) are not better than he.

perhaps only the “implication” that there is no need for the Trinity (which is impossible because They cannot be separated)

or perhaps because many tend to ignore that we must make up (cooperate) for what is lacking in His afflictions.

even our procreation, and our acceptance (or non-rejection) of our inheritance requires our cooperation.

I doubt that any Catholic would first think, and then deny that everything we have and can have begins with, in and through Christ.

by the way Daniel… how are you… ready for Starbucks??

yea that site I was on is a cult site:eek: (The Restored Church of God)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.