Fundamentals of Catholicism series by Fr. Kenneth Baker, SJ?

amazon.com/Fundamentals-Catholicism-Vol-Creed-Commandments/dp/0898700175/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2T70ZJYNJ8XOE&coliid=I15ZL36B3L7LIG
amazon.com/Fundamentals-Catholicism-Vol-Sacraments-Eschatology/dp/0898700272/ref=pd_sim_b_2
amazon.com/Fundamentals-Catholicism-Vol-Trinity-Creation/dp/0898700191/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I am interested in this series. From everything I can tell, Fr. Baker has an excellent reputation in terms of orthodoxy. He is also the Editor emeritus of the Homelitic and Pasatoral Review. hprweb.com/about/

Thoughts? Comments?

I have these and thought they were excellent. Yes Fr. Baker is loyal to the Magisterium, reliable in every way. You will enjoy it. :thumbsup:

From what I can tell, it seems to be a bit of a deeper dive into the theology behind the doctrine expressed in the Catechism. Would that be a fairly accurate depiction?

You know, it has been so many years since I read them I can’t remember precisely but I do know I was quite pleased with them. They are three volumes but smaller pages and Vol. 3, which I have in front of me, is 383 pgs long. On the other hand, the CCC is much lager in dimensions and has 688 pages of content ( excluding table of contents and various indexes). Another difference, Baker’s trilogy has no documentation or footnotes but the CCC is highly documented and very useful in that respect. I would say that the essential differences would be mode of presentation and documentation. That is about as far as I could go. One would have to regard Baker’s work as a supplement. Another " Catechism " I enjoied was Hardon’s " Catholicism. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I didn’t know about the lack of citation, interesting. As for the other, I recently purchased Fr. Hardon’s Catechism and you are right, it is excellent. In fact, it is rapidly becoming the one I am most likely to recommend.

Since the last post I took a closer look at Vol 2 and I see that Fr. Baker includes his documentary citations within the text.

I was interested in the human intellect and will of Christ and had been wondering if it might have been possible for Jesus to refuse to do the Will of God. On pgs 210-224 Fr. Baker explains how this would not have been possible. One must read here very closely but one sees that because the human soul of Jesus ( and every soul) was divided into a higher part ( the intellect and will) and a lower part ( the sentient or source of human passions) Jesus, according to the lower part may have wished for the Father " to withdraw this cup " of suffering, he desired with all his will to do the Will of the Father and could not have refused. St. Thomas covers this in the Summa Theologiae, in Part 1 I believe, but it is hard reading. So the cry of Jesus in the Garden and on the cross was a cry from the lower part of Jesus’ human soul. The lower part was suffering but the higher part was perfectly united to the Will of the Father. So here we have an example of how Fr. Baker gives some insignt which I think one does not get from the CCC.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

It definitely does, thank you.

So, if I am understanding you properly, he cites appropriately throughout on doctrinal issues such as what you would find in the CCC, but on certain deeper theological issues, he offers insight that might have less in terms of empirical sources. Would that be a fairly accurate description?

Well, at least on that one issue it would be true. And yes he does cite good sources on doctrinal issues - in so far as I can tell. Remember, it has been years since I have looked at these books. But on this one issue, yes. Just my opinion based on a very brief look. If you can get copies at a reasonable price it would certainly be worth while. :thumbsup:

They are on my list.

Thanks again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.