Funeral Mass program help - quick (please)

I’m helping to prepare a funeral mass program for an elderly relative (very devout Catholic). In proofing the program that other family members (non-Catholics) have started preparing there is a quote on the front cover from a person who is an atheist. The quote deals with life and death and rejoicing ; though knowing the background of the quote and the background of the person saying the quote, it’s 100% anti-Catholic and it sort of horrifies me that they are choosing to use it. So, I’m looking for a suitable replacement quote. The Catholic church has so many WONDERFUL and wise saints and holy people of it’s own that it can’t be that hard, but I’m coming up a little short.

Does anyone have any favorite quote or passages that I could use?

These are my favorites so far and maybe help see what direction I’m taking this. The man was an extremely hard working, family man. Participated in daily mass, in every aspect of his parish, in the KoC, with a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother. he was a quiet man who went about his works in private, and detested adulation for himself. He was not afraid to die, looked forward with happiness to seeing the face of Jesus someday.

*At the end of our life, we shall all be judged by charity. – St. John of the Cross

Love God, serve God: everything is in that. – St. Clare of Assisi

The first thing that a person finds in life and the last to which he holds out his hand,
and the most precious that he possess, even if he does not realize it, is family life. – Blessed Adolph Kolping*

So does anyone have anything that would be fitting for us to use? Thanks for your help in advance.

King and peasant, different by birth, together in the End.

I have never heard of a program for a funeral mass. Interesting.

reference for that quote?

nor I but it’s very similiar to a wedding program, I suspect it’s being done more as a keepsake. It’s listing the readings, the songs, the participants. Not really my style…but I’m only an inlaw LOL. the funeral is also in another part of the country, so perhaps this is their custom…

And I have been to maybe three (if that many) that didn’t have the Program:p

A common Belgian saying.

I like quotes from St. Teresa of Lisieux, because she was devoted to showing her love and charity in so many little ways.

Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing.

Jesus wills that we give alms to Him as to one poor and needy. He puts Himself as it were at our mercy; He will take nothing but what we give Him from our heart, and the very least trifle is precious in His sight.

“Eye has not seen, and ear has not heard nor has it dawned upon man what GOD has prepared for those who love HIM”. 1st Corinthians.

How about John 14:

And the Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us, and we saw His glory, the glory as of the Father's only Son, full of grace and truth.

At my own funeral I hope they will sing Godhead here in Hiding an English translation of Adoro Te Devote by St. Thomas Aquinas. Its final verse (or a part of it) might be appropriate for the program:
Jesu, whom I look at shrouded here below,
I beseech thee send me what I thirst for so,
Some day to gaze on thee face to face in light
And be blest for ever with thy glory’s sight.

This is what the late Fr. Richard John Neuhaus had on his remembrance card:

"When I come before the judgment throne, I will plead the promise of God in the shed blood of Jesus Christ…I will, with (St.)Dysmas, look to Christ and Christ alone. Then, I hope to hear him say, “Today you will be with me in paradise”, as I hope with all my being–because, although looking to him alone, I am not alone-he will say to all.

This is from his book, “Death on a Friday Afternoon.”

“Lord, for your faithful people, life has changed, not ended.” - from the preface for the Mass for the Dead

thank you all for taking the time to answer me. In the end we did pick one from St. Terese(a) of Liseuex for the very reason mentioned (quiet charity)

You know well enough that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love with which we do them.

and we also placed different quotes from scripture on each page of the program based on eternal life and resurrection, such as:
Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy. John 16:20

Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven… – Matthew 5:12

as well as a few others. Thanks for getting me where I needed to be with this. :slight_smile: My one overwhelming thing I took from the whole experience was that it’s sad when you believe that death is the end as do many I talked to this weekend who are no longer practicing Catholics. How can you go on in life after someone you loves dies w hen you really believe that they are gone, forever, and buried in the ground? It’s got to be such a lonely empty feeling. :frowning: We are truly blessed that we believe, as one cousin commented, “all this and heaven too”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.