Funeral Mass Question

I have been asked to present a gift to the priest at my grandmother's funeral mass in a couple of days. I'm not Catholic and am curious as to what is involved and what it means to do this presentation. Is there some significance to it? Is this a common occurrence in a funeral mass? And is there anything special I am supposed to do?

Thank you for your help.

:confused:

Unless this is some sort of cultural custom, I would guess this means being part of the procession which carries up the unconsecrated Eucharist and Wine. You'll be shown where the gifts are kept until the time comes, and be let know when is the proper time to step out. You'll carry up - usually one - item, and hand it to the Priest. Step back until all the "gifts" have been presented, usually bow slightly, and return to your seat.

Thank you for your response. Does it matter that I am not Catholic?

ah....I'm not sure about that one. Will need one of the other people on here to answer that.

You can still carry up the gifts if you aren't Catholic. All you have to do is go to the back of the Church whenever you are called (talk to the priest or someone beforehand) and then you will walk up with some other gift-bearers to the altar where the priest and maybe some altar servers will take the gifts and maybe shake hands with you. You then go back to your seat.

Also, if you aren't Catholic, please be aware that the Communion at the end of Mass is very important because it is a physical encounter with Jesus Christ, truly present and very real. If you do not hold this belief and are not initiated in the Church you should not take sacrament; to Catholics this is very important and sacred. God bless you and your deceased loved one. I will offer prayers for his/her soul.

By Thy resurrection from the dead, O Christ, death no longer hath dominion over those who die in holiness. So, we beseech Thee, give rest to Thy servants in Thy sanctuary and in Abraham's bosom. Grant it to those, who from Adam until now have adored Thee with purity, to our fathers and brothers, to our kinsmen and friends, to all men who have lived by faith and passed on their road to Thee, by a thousand ways, and in all conditions, and make them worthy of the heavenly kingdom.

[quote="jonesv, post:3, topic:317133"]
Thank you for your response. Does it matter that I am not Catholic?

[/quote]

No.

Though it would be nice if someone had explained better the significance to you.

It is an honor for you to be allowed the privilege of approaching the altar in this way.
Many take it for granted.

This does not mean that you may join in holy Communion, however. For that, you must be a practicing Catholic in good standing (with God - it's not a social commentary thing).

Thank you all for your answers. You've cleared up my concerns. I will treat it as an honor. Thank you again for your help.

This was a good question that you asked, Jonesv. Welcome to Catholic Answers forums.

So sorry about your grandma. :(

[quote="jonesv, post:7, topic:317133"]
Thank you all for your answers. You've cleared up my concerns. I will treat it as an honor. Thank you again for your help.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome to CAF, and thank you, for your respect in asking about, what we as catholic hold dearly to our hearts.

Prayers to you, your family and grandmother.

God bless

jesus g

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.