Funeral Mass

How many funeral Masses can a person have? I have a friend who died in one state, had a Mass there and now his family would like another in a different state (to accomodate relatives there)

It is not uncommon in my diocese for there to be multiple Masses for one deceased person, because many people in my area have more than one "home".

For example, I have friends who had a cottage in the Finger Lakes region of NY, the home where they raised their children in a suburb of Rochester
and a time-share in Florida where they went every year for 8 weeks during the winter.

They have a "home parish" in each locale.

When the husband died, they were at their home in Rochester,
and had his Funeral Mass in the parish where they were married and raised their family.

Later in the summer they had a Memorial Mass for him at their parish in the Finger Lakes, and the following winter, they had one in Florida.

It gave the family a chance to pray for the repose of his soul and celebrate his life, with all of his friends, no matter where they were.

I see this only as a good thing! :)

[quote="UhaveAnswers, post:1, topic:297023"]
How many funeral Masses can a person have? I have a friend who died in one state, had a Mass there and now his family would like another in a different state (to accomodate relatives there)

[/quote]

There is one funeral mass. It takes place with the body present.

There can be unlimited memorial masses said for the person-- the deceased is remembered in the prayers of the faithful and the Eucharistic Prayer.

Any occasion, where the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is offered up by the celebrant for the repose of the soul of a person who has died, is each of equal value - and effective at the time of the deceased death irrespective of time. You could e.g. have such offered up for your grandmother who died many years ago and she would have received the benefit at the instant of her death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.