Funerals--what is proper procedure?

Hi Friends: As a new Catholic–I have some serious questions here. As the executor of my parents’ estate–when they die–as Protestants, should I have, can I have, a Catholic funeral for them? I have no idea here. Several of my Prot,. relatives have been cremated, much to my dismay, but it was their immediate relatives’ decision. Since I will be the decision maker on this one, how does this work? I am a Catholic, but no one else is in my family–yet anyway. What if my husband or kids died today? Parents? With me making all the decisions, could I give them a Catholic funeral? Thought I’d ask now, just so I’ll know for later. Thx so much. My dad is living on borrowed time here with having had several heart attacks. We, the kids never know from day to day. As a Catholic, what should I do?

Probably you should ask a priest, or maybe someone here has the definite answer. If they are not Catholic I don’t think you could have a Catholic funeral for them.

Although if they had no other pastor, you could ask a priest to offer a memorial service for them. I have seen that done–at a funeral home, for example, and without a Catholic funeral Mass.

And, it is perfectly acceptable to have a Mass intention offered (not a funeral Mass) for a non-Catholic.

Hi sparkle!

Amazon sell these books:

1. Funerals (Catholic Etiquette)
    by Kay Lynn Isca

2. Catholic Etiquette: What You Need to Know About Catholic Rites and Wrongs
    by Kay Lynn Isca

About your questions:

I don’t think that you can have protestants buried catholic. If a protestant is converted on his/her deathbed, confess to a priest and swallow the Eucarist, no formalities is aquierd. The persn dies as a catholic and will have a catholic funeral.

Since your father perhaps is so near death, I think you shall call a carholic priest as fast as you can, so you can talk about everthing that worries you. It’s very hard to lose parents.For your own care you could need the support of a priest. And he will give you advice too.

All my best wishes for you!

:blessyou:

See Canon Law

CHAPTER II.

THOSE TO WHOM ECCLESIASTICAL FUNERALS MUST BE GRANTED OR DENIED

Can. 1183 §1. When it concerns funerals, catechumens must be counted among the Christian faithful.

§2. The local ordinary can permit children whom the parents intended to baptize but who died before baptism to be given ecclesiastical funerals.

§3. In the prudent judgment of the local ordinary, ecclesiastical funerals can be granted to baptized persons who are enrolled in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community unless their intention is evidently to the contrary and provided that their own minister is not available.

Can. 1184 §1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:

1/ notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;

2/ those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;

3/ other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.

§2. If any doubt occurs, the local ordinary is to be consulted, and his judgment must be followed.

Can. 1185 Any funeral Mass must also be denied a person who is excluded from ecclesiastical funerals.

It has been my experience that the underlined portion is interpreted pretty liberally if the family is in agreement.

[quote=sparkle]Hi Friends: As a new Catholic–I have some serious questions here. As the executor of my parents’ estate–when they die–as Protestants, should I have, can I have, a Catholic funeral for them? I have no idea here. Several of my Prot,. relatives have been cremated, much to my dismay, but it was their immediate relatives’ decision. Since I will be the decision maker on this one, how does this work? I am a Catholic, but no one else is in my family–yet anyway. What if my husband or kids died today? Parents? With me making all the decisions, could I give them a Catholic funeral? Thought I’d ask now, just so I’ll know for later. Thx so much. My dad is living on borrowed time here with having had several heart attacks. We, the kids never know from day to day. As a Catholic, what should I do?
[/quote]

The Catholic Church allows the Rite of Christian Burial to any Christian who would have reasonably wanted it. A non-Catholic spouse who attended Mass with the Catholic spouse but never became Catholic is a good example. As you move away from the non-Catholic spouse or non-Catholic or non-practicing children it becomes a bit more difficult to justify. You may want to consider speaking with them about their wishes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.