Funny books?

I’d like to read some funny books. Can anyone recommend some?

Anything by P.G. Wodehouse. :smiley: Recommended with a nice cup of tea. My favourite for a good laugh.

“The Egg and I” by Betty MacDonald.

I love Dave Barry’s Books, for example Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States
The Vikings, for example, “were extremely rugged individuals whose idea of a fun time was to sail over and set fire to England, which in those days was fairly easy to ignite because it had a very high level of thatch, this being the kind of roof favored by the local tribespeople…”

The Hobbit
the Lemony Snicket series
The Princess Bride

Calvin and Hobbes

Christopher Moore is hilarious! A bit edgey at time, but really funny.

Joseph Heller: Catch 22. A great classic with many laugh out loud parts but with a dark message.

P.J O’Rourke: Libertarian political humor with bite. Try Holidays in Hell, The Bachelor Home Companion, Eat the Rich and many more.

Christopher Buckley: Supreme Courtship, Thank You for Smoking, The White House Mess and many more. Biting political satire.

Jane Smiley: Moo inside the absurdities of academia. She really gets it right.

Terry Prachett: An affectionate send-up of just about every fantasy novel trope out there, from aged wizards to muscle-bound barbarian warriors to friendly witches.

Once again, PoliSciGuy stole all my ideas! Evelyn Waugh can also be very funny as well.

Patrick F. McManus. I read several condensed stories from “A Fine and Pleasant Misery” in Reader’s Digest back in the '70s and he is hilarious!

Joanne Fluke’s “Hannah Swensen” murder mysteries. Okay, I know murder isn’t a funny subject, but the main character pokes fun at herself (and her mother!) in a very entertaining way. Pretty clean stories, too.

Erma Bombeck (God rest her soul). 'nuff said!

Thank you so much! I had a hectic few days and forgot about starting this thread. I am definitely going to have some samples sent to my Kindle. :smiley:

Anything by O. Henry would be funny.

anything by James Thurber, in fact, when I am ill or depressed this gets me going again, better than drugs
The Night the Bed Fell and
The Day the Dam Broke
are classics. my in-laws are all from Columbus, where his stories of his boyhood and family originate, and they all act like perfect Thurber characters. Only in Columbus.

anything by Jean Shepherd (the Christmas story is based on vignettes from In God We Trust All Others Pay Cash and his other books based on his childhood in NW Indiana). the other half of my in-laws are from this territory, and they all act like Shepherd characters. aw I could write a book.

Erma Bombeck may be the best humorist of all time. she also got her start in Ohio. Ohio is just a funny place

Robert Benchley is still timely, still funny in his dry self-deprecating way. (he like Thurber was part of the New Yorker crew in the 30s). Another of their buddies from that time is Dorothy Parker, but her humor comes with a bite.

I second PG Wodehouse, particularly the Jeeves series

If your taste runs to funny-weird try Edward Gorey. Or just look at the illustrations

Have you come across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannery_O’Connor ?

There are links to her works at the bottom of the page.

When I’m having a bad day at work, I just re-read “The Cat-bird Seat”… and then spend a few minutes pondering how I could go about implementing it in my own life…

Cheers me up right away!

“Who’s Afraid of Beowulf?” by Tom Holt ( a group of Viking warriors wake up in modern day England)

How about Case of the Dying Detective by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? It’s a short story more than a book, but Holmes’ illness (so to speak) had me cracking up at the end. :smiley:

Try some David Sedaris. You can find some of his New Yorker pieces online to see if you like his style.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.