FYI Susan Komen

I was looking up the Susan Komen Controversy.
I found some information doing a google search on their website. even though I couldn't find it when searching their website.
ww5.komen.org/Content.aspx?id=16162
particularly this justification for donating to PP.
An open letter about Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and Planned Parenthood
is that justifiable?

[quote="Qwikness, post:1, topic:232880"]
I was looking up the Susan Komen Controversy.
I found some information doing a google search on their website. even though I couldn't find it when searching their website.
ww5.komen.org/Content.aspx?id=16162
particularly this justification for donating to PP.
An open letter about Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and Planned Parenthood
is that justifiable?

[/quote]

There is no justification that allows
for donations to PP (or to Komen, an org that donates to PP).

Any organization that claims to help women and yet funds abortion services does not support a consistent Christian ethic. Despite what they claim, it is **not **permissible for a Catholic to support the Komen Foundation.

Their claims that the money they donate does not go to abortion are silly. When money is donated to one area, Planned Parenthood moves money around to make it balance:

If PP spends $10 on abortion and $10 on other services, what happens when Komen donates $10 for the other services? PP moves $5 from other services to abortion funding so that they spend $15 on abortion and $5 on other services. When Komen’s money is added, PP has $15 for abortion and $15 for other services. What did Komen just support?

Many people make such claims as Komen does, but they are fully aware of what they are really funding. It’s always disappointing to hear organizations lie and try to hide their policies.

I'm still waiting on a reply from Komen about their PP connection since it has been proven (by the American Cancer Association) that artificial birth control increases a woman's chance of developing breast cancer and that PP is a huge provider of artificial birth control. I've been waiting for a few months. It is a terrible alliance and I feel like a jerk everytime I tell my relatives that I will not donate to their walk funds every year. I have had two aunts die from breast cancer in their 30s and I would love if Komen no longer was in bed with one of the greatest organizations that promotes death, not only for the unborn, but also for women who naively put their trust in them to inform them of the true consequences of all decisions pertaining to women's health.

This isn't an easy one to think through.

I think we are safe, from the perspective of proximity to evil, in donation to Komen even where they support Planned Parenthood. Here's why:

1) The intent and purpose of the funds given by Komen to PP is for mammograms and health screenings, not artificial contraception nor for abortion. If PP uses the funds for abortions or contraception, that is a betrayal of trust that Komen places in PP. And given the funding that Komen can raise, should it ever come to light that PP has betrayed that trust, it would be a tremendous blow to that organization as a whole.

2) The intent of the funds from Komen is to other organizations that seek a cure for breast cancer, and more commonly treatment for those who are suffering from it. This is a noble and good cause, though if you wish to avoid any proximity to evil you ought to donate directly to the constituent organizations.

3) A further purpose of the Komen Walk or the Race for the Cure is emotional support for patients and survivors. While we love the survivors that we know, there really isn't a substitute for this kind of mass support.

I was going to add to this list that PP does not always provide abortions, depending on state law. I was actually TOLD by our United Way affiliate (to which we donate funds at work) that the PP organization in St. Louis does not conduct abortions. To be sure, I looked it up on their website and sure enough, there's an entire section on it, including this monstruous denial of what they actually do in the procedure:

"Either a hand-held suction device or a suction machine gently empties your uterus. "

And they wonder why we hate abortion so much. I could go off, I won't, for the sake of the thread.

This is something I'd honestly pray on. If it weighs on you that PP or another organization like it receives any funding from Komen, write Komen, ask if you can make a donation that will not be steered towards that group, or otherwise say you will donate directly to the affiliate causes.

While the Susan G Komen organization does great work, keep in mind that large NPOs have LARGER overhead costs then a smaller community based NPO. If you want to support breast cancer research, I suggest you find a center in your local community so that you know you donation is going to help your neighbors in need.

Komen - in their annual report MUST tell you and has in the past that only $0.25 of every dollar donated acutally goes to research. the other $0.75 goes to overhead costs. The CEO/Director of Komen is raking in a HUGE HUGE salary.

IF you really want the most bang for your buck...stick to your local County or State level NPO.

Alos...keep in mind that not everyone who goes to PP goes there for ABC or Abortion advice. Many high school and college girls use PP for their regular GYN care.

I would be curious to know 1) whether Komen's donations are restricted or unrestricted funds to PP and 2) how a NPO who is raising $$ for breast cancer research justifies giving your money to another organization?

I used to be naive about the insidious Planned Parenthood organization. Back when Obama was running for president, something struck me about him being the poster child for PP and I started researching, finding just nasty information about the beginnings of PP and how/why they came about as far as them attempting to eradicate the minority populations from inner cities etc. Their entire purpose from what I found was based upon getting as many inner city minority girls as possible to abort their babies. So, I did quite a bit of research (a few years back so I don’t remember it all or exactly the details so this is just from memory) and I was sickened by how deep the evil runs in PP. There is no doubt about it, the main and number one purpose of PP is to perpetuate as many abortions as possible, particularly for the lower income minority populations, despite those who claim they are a good organization with good intentions of helping females by offering other “good” services.

I have recently discovered that the Girl Scout Organization is another organization linked up with PP and it just saddened me as it was a wonderful org. when I grew up. When I put my girls in GS, I noticed that it seemed different and that collecting money was the number one issue. They dangle patches over the girls heads depending on how much they collect etc. The org. is still great for the local chapters it seems, but the national org. is slowly but surely becoming infested with evil and I fear it will trickle its way down the ranks as well. Teaching sex education and liberating these little girls by helping them to become liberal women seems to be one of the most important issues the GS is heading towards teaching. They are already doing that world-wide, it is just taking longer to reach the insides of the U.S.

I would love to detail everything I researched and found, but this article really sums up much of what I read which is why I had to pull my girls out and why I don’t have the heart to support this organization anymore, despite them having wonderful local troop leaders. catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=35768&page=1

I don’t have the answer as some of my favorite stores are connected with PP and its a difficult thing for me to grasp, but if I support in any way these organizations that help to fund abortions then I am going completely against my conscience and against what God expects of me. Its a difficult dilemma to be sure!

Archbishop burke when in st. louis asked no one to donate to komen.

By the way , PP does NOT do mammagrams.

Last time I read up on this Komen stuff, they claimed ONE Catholic man who would
speak in favor of Komen's work re to PP. That's ONE. Really, enough said. Any
"good" Komen might do is clearly outweighed by its awful deadly link to PP.

[quote="Maureen1125, post:7, topic:232880"]
I would be curious to know 1) whether Komen's donations are restricted or unrestricted funds to PP and 2) how a NPO who is raising $$ for breast cancer research justifies giving your money to another organization?

[/quote]

as was in the "Open Letter" I posted above, in order to address your first question.

These facilities serve rural women, poor women, Native American women, women of color, and the un- and under-insured. As part of our financial arrangements, we monitor our grantees twice a year to be sure they are spending the money in line with our agreements, and we are assured that Planned Parenthood uses these funds ONLY for breast health education, screening and treatment programs.

and to your second question the Open Letter above says:

And while Komen Affiliates provide funds to pay for screening, education and treatment programs in dozens of communities, in some areas, the only place that poor, uninsured or under-insured women can receive these services are through programs run by Planned Parenthood.

this is really interesting! I had no idea, but it doesn't really surprise me.

my husband and I donate to various organizations each month and of course once you start it doesn't take very long for every tom dick and harry to have your name and address. I use this website - charitynaviagtor.org - to search through all the solicitations we get to choose which ones will use the money the best.

they have a 0 - 4 star rating system, based on the organization's financial info, but the most important number is right at the top, directly underneath "overall rating" in the "organizational efficiency" category. "program expenses" tells you what percentage of their funds goes to their programs (that is, everything except people's paychecks) - in the komen example, it's 83.4%. on komen's webpage, in the annual report, it breaks that down further - 25% to research/awards, 37% education, 14% screening, 8% treatment. 6% goes to fundraising and 10% goes towards administration.

only $0.25 of every dollar donated acutally goes to research. the other $0.75 goes to overhead costs.

this is only half true. yeah, only 25% goes to research (though it actually says research and awards, whatever that means..) but I wouldn't consider education, screening, and treatment to be "overhead costs," and that's the remaining percentages to get to 84.

however - having researched a lot of charities there are plenty out there that have numbers well over 90% going towards programs, or at least less going toward admin costs. at the bottom of the page you're given a list of similar charities, so I clicked one called "living beyond breast cancer." their program expenses are 89%, but they only spend about 5% each for advertising and administrative costs. their website doesn't break that 80% down any further, that I could tell, and I don't know if they support pp, but this might be a better choice, at least in terms of where their money is going!

honestly, I think it would be pretty difficult to find a women's health organization that doesn't support contraceptives and/or abortions. any group that works with medical care, especially in third world countries, probably will have some connection to it there, as well. we chose to give to americorps over the red cross for the japan relief, because their program expenses are a whopping 98% of their total income. they do offer free health clinics, which does include women's health, but their webpage says out of the $850 million that goes to programs, only $6 million goes towards free clinics - that's .007% - and that includes all medical care.

a direct result of using that webpage is that then I get to call all the not-so-efficient charities and ask to be taken off their mailing lists. I spent an hour doing that the other day and felt like a tool, but everyone I spoke to was awfully nice.. :rolleyes:

Maybe the best way to donate is to call an oncologist and offer to donate money to help pay down a breast cancer patient's bill.

WOW gmarie21, that is the greatest idea I have seen on this thread! What a wonderful way to help someone directly; who is suffering already and may be being crippled by their medical bills. AWESOME!

The exceuse given is not good enough for me. Komen will never get one dime out of me until they drop this Planned Parenthood connection. The fact that they are unwilling to drop this funding, despite the obvious fact it costs them donations, suggest to me that those behind this organization are pro-abortion and funding this more for their agenda than any benefit to women.

I want to link this because it is interesting, and they also mention about Komen, so check it out!

Abby Johnson as guest in World over hosted by Raymond Arroyo, from EWTN's youtube channel:

youtube.com/user/EWTN#p/search/0/Sdvb_HEQ8ds

PP doesn't do mammograms. The breast care they provide is CBE--clinical breast exam--palpation. They go hands on and feel. How much money does that require? NONE. They are already trained doctors and nurses, so they are already trained in CBE. Just do it.

I am a breast cancer survivor and I used to donate to SGK but no longer once I learned about their funding of PP.

I thought, are they high?! I know the connection between hormonal contraception and BrCa, and abortion and BrCa. Why would they fund the causes of the disease they claim to hate?

Unless they want to perpetuate an epidemic to keep their cause going?

In which case, they have become evil and corrupt.

I detest the conspiracy of silence on the hormonal contraception-BrCa issue...from a feminist standpoint! Women are being lied to and treated as disposable and diseasable just for the sake of round the calendar sexual access. A week a month, is it worth shortening your life?

When I was dx'd with BrCa, the first question was family history. The second question was about my use of hormonal contraception. So the oncologists know. Once you see an oncologist, it's too late. Why doesn't the OBGYN tell you what the oncologist is going to ask you in a couple of decades?!?!?!

Agree.

[quote="kentuckyliz, post:17, topic:232880"]
PP doesn't do mammograms. The breast care they provide is CBE--clinical breast exam--palpation. They go hands on and feel. How much money does that require? NONE. They are already trained doctors and nurses, so they are already trained in CBE. Just do it.

I am a breast cancer survivor and I used to donate to SGK but no longer once I learned about their funding of PP.

I thought, are they high?! I know the connection between hormonal contraception and BrCa, and abortion and BrCa. Why would they fund the causes of the disease they claim to hate?

Unless they want to perpetuate an epidemic to keep their cause going?

In which case, they have become evil and corrupt.

I detest the conspiracy of silence on the hormonal contraception-BrCa issue...from a feminist standpoint! Women are being lied to and treated as disposable and diseasable just for the sake of round the calendar sexual access. A week a month, is it worth shortening your life?

When I was dx'd with BrCa, the first question was family history. The second question was about my use of hormonal contraception. So the oncologists know. Once you see an oncologist, it's too late. Why doesn't the OBGYN tell you what the oncologist is going to ask you in a couple of decades?!?!?!

[/quote]

Great post, liz. Thank you.
Hope you're in good health now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.