G.M. sells Saab to Swedish company

nytimes.com/2009/06/17/business/global/17saab.html

Things seem to be moving according to plan. Hummer is sold to a Chinese company. Roger Penske has signed a letter of intent to purchase Saturn.

Metro Detroit TV new stations are reporting that Chrysler has restarted a Michigan plant and that most others should be operating by the end of the month.

Hmmmm…

Peace,
Ed

GM bought Swedish car company SAAB several years ago. Destroyed its unique cars by simply introducing Chevy underframes with odd looking sheetmetal exteriors and calling them SAABs. But they were not SAABs, they were Chevy cars. Selling the division to the Swedish high performance car company is probably the only real way to save what is left of the brand.

Its a shame that GM couldn’t think its way out of a brown paper sack and had to destroy the brand as quickly and completely as they managed to do. Costly mistake for GM. Tragedy for the brand.

I had the pleasure of driving a real (Pre-GM) SAAB for a couple years. Amazing cars. Smoothest turbo-6 cylinder engine I’ve ever driven. Fast, great performance, but excellent economy and amazing interior space. Ugly too. But you get over that quickly.

I hope the best for the brand.

There’s a plan?

Of course there’s a plan. The economy is in the toilet, unemployment is high, but somehow, somewhere, people have money to buy entire car brands with a global economic downturn in effect? Something’s fishy here…

And Ford is going to increase production by 10% this Summer according to Metro Detroit newspapers.

Peace,
Ed

And that no man might buy or sell, but he that hath the character, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.