G.O.P. Aide Quits Over Remarks Critical of Obama Daughters

Elizabeth Lauten, former communications director for Representative Stephen Fincher of Tennessee, has resigned. Lauten posted derogatory comments to Sasha and Malia Obama on Facebook last week after the teenagers appeared at the annual turkey pardoning the day before Thanksgiving.

In the post, Ms. Lauten told the girls to “dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar.”

“Dear Sasha and Malia, I get you’re both in those awful teen years, but you’re a part of the First Family, try showing a little class,” Ms. Lauten wrote.

After the comments went viral, Lauten made most of her Facebook page private.

One would assume that a communications director for a public official would understand the growing role social media plays in politics and know better than to post comments that personally attack others, especially children.

Plus, any political operative should know the basic rule: Families are off limits!

Apart from the other comments by posters, the way both girls were dressed was totally respectable and age-appropriate. I don’t even understand what the complaint of the aide was based on.

I thought the same thing. Besides, it was a turkey pardon. They could have dressed in clown suits and it would have been appropriate.

She said the girls look bored & should act like the “first family” but I thought she apologized…maybe she was forced to resign. :shrug:

Regardless of politics, kids are off-limits (although I don’t recall this being observed much in the days of the Bush twin girls, but still…). I thought the job description of teenage girls was to look bored at any event involving their parents. No surprise there.

I think the two girls were not ‘getting into the spirit of things’. There might have be an :rolleyes: or two (imagine that, teenage girls rolling their eyes), they were not :extrahappy: or :bounce: about the stage.

I saw them with their mother when the tree was delivered. They reminded me of my daughters at that age. “I’m bored.” “Why did you bring me here.” “Sure mom, it’s wonderful, whatever you say.”

In other words, perfectly normal teenage girls that are being “forced” to attend a function with their parents.

What is with Republicans hurling childish insults at the children of sitting Presidents? Remember Rush Limbaugh calling Chelsea Clinton the “Clinton family dog”? That’s nothing more than hate speech and grossly immature, to boot. :frowning:

Consider the source. Rush Limbaugh, similar to Howard Stern, is a shock jock entertainer: it’s how he increases his ratings.

I don’t think she really apologized to the people she should have, she had no compunction about excoriating Sasha and Malia directly but doesn’t have what it takes to apologize to them in an equally direct and public manner. Like others have noted someone who is “director of communications” should have a much better understanding of the pitfalls of social media and should darn well know that what she said on a public facebook page would be all over the place in hours. If she was forced to resign it was due to her proving she couldn’t direct communications in a professional manner.

Here’s her apology:http://blogs-images.forbes.com/elisadoucette/files/2014/11/elizabethlauten1.png

Let’s pardon her anyway!

No, I don’t remember it because it did not happen.

So Sarah Palin’s children have been treated well? Why make an exception for sitting Presidents, civility should pertain to all.

That was my thought exactly.
Mary.

Good point Path Finder!

I am glad she apologized. I think it was wrong to make the post on Facebook. Talking among friends is one thing.
Considering the position she held she should have known better.
Whether she volunteered to resign or was forced to it might have been the best thing for the person she worked for. The democrats were so cruel to Sarah Palin and her family that republicans should not follow what they do.

This lady in the overall scheme of things, Lauter? Is not an important official but everyone can relate to someone making a negative “gossipy” remark.

This article talks about the Rush Limbaugh affair, he’s not perfect, he’s said some wrong things before but he should not be misunderstood:

lyingliar.com/?p=17

Oh my-I haven’t heard the “Limbaugh called Chelsea a dog” slander in years!

BTW-Fox news is evil and Its Bush’s Fault.

That was might thought as well, but I think conservatives should be above this kind of thing, and the kids should be off limits (they didn’t sign up for any of this).

Originally Posted by oldcatholicguy View Post
One would assume that a communications director for a public official would understand the growing role social media plays in politics and know better than to post comments that personally attack others, especially children.

QUOTE=captainrick;12536402]Plus, any political operative should know the basic rule: Families are off limits!

And for these two reasons, accept her resignation because she deserves to get canned.
Then accept her apology.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.