G20 riot leaves store owners cleaning up

cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/27/g20-cleanup.html

I live near Toronto and I was shocked to see this on TV. I was expecting this but it was still a shock to see. I was watching one channel which metioned a riot somewhere in the Middle East and I saw pictures of that, then I flipped the channel showing riots in Toronto with similar pictures...:eek: I now understand what it feels like for those people who live with this constantly.

I too strongly questioned the Prime Ministers choice to hold this event in downtown Toronto, and these events for me conform that it was wrong. I have no problem with peacful protests and even applaud them but these thugs will take all the attention. Most of all, I feel sorry for the police. While many may condem them, I applaud them and thank them. :sad_yes:

What a mess. A billion dollars for security, and the cops just stood by yesterday while the idiot anarchists rampaged through the city.
Today the cops went Loony Toons and started arresting everyone in sight. Anyone with a gas mask (and remember, not everyone who brought a mask is a terrorist. There are journalists there and lots of other non-terrorists with gas masks) or anyone who looked suspicious. They've been incredibly heavy handed today, firing rubber bullets indiscriminately into crowds, raiding public transit and randomly arresting people.
This is a fiasco and it never should have happened.

I agree with you. I also don't know why people get mad at the police -- they're only doing their job! But the PM's choice of location....ugh. I live in another province, but still. Also, the indoor lake thing is a bit, just a bot over the top. The Queen should intervene if she disagrees. :D

For example
youtube.com/watch?v=Heb9BXjYcII&feature=youtu.be

[quote="PadraigPearce, post:4, topic:203473"]
For example
youtube.com/watch?v=Heb9BXjYcII&feature=youtu.be

[/quote]

I hadn't seen that on TV.

We can thank the criminals that hijack these protests for that.
But to see the police doing this needs investigation.

It's also a shame that the focus of the media tends to be on the violent protests. But I suppose that's to be expected. I was glad to see a wee bit of focus on the actual G20 meetings.

I have only seen precious little coverage of the legitimate protests though.

Now the video is flagged as only appropriate for people over 18. You need a youtube account to view it. Weird. Well, here it is again on the Toronto Star site. Scroll down to the 8:15 p.m. posting.
thestar.blogs.com/g20/

I just hope that the crimminals get arrested (and I'm sure much of them will escape.) I wish the media could have focused on the peacful protests more, but I guess its hard when some people are lighting up police cars :D I would have liked to hear what they had to say because some of them had legitamate concerns. No one will take any protester seriously now, especially the world leaders.

And on top of all that, the Phillies-Blue Jays series had to be moved to Citizens Bank Park because of this...

These meetings always attract anarchists. Why that is, I don't know. Maybe they should hold the meetings in Dodge City KS, or in Moscow, KS, or on the Eniwetok Atoll, which is already well protected.

:hmmm:
Hmmmm… We have an International Space Station don’t we …

I was crossing into the US on the Peace Briodge just prior to the summit and it was quite obvious where a lot of the Americans were going that were passing me if I was to judge by appearances which I am.I hope they receive suitable jail time and are deported back as soon as their sentences are completed.I don't blame the police one bit as to go by some of the comments on this thread they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
These summits are held in other major cities with identical results.Are we going to allow masked hoodlums who have no respect for democracy to terrorize Governments into having these meetings on deserted Islands?

So a few heads got bruised,cry me a river.

[quote="The_Reginator, post:10, topic:203473"]

Hmmmm...... We have an International Space Station don't we ..........

[/quote]

I'm kind of partial to Coronation Island. It has a pretty name, and small parts of it are actually ice-fee. Its claimed by both Britain and Argentina, but under the Antarctic Treaty of 1959, the island is open to non-military use by any country.

We'd probably have to airdrop the anarchists since the island is difficult to access. But because it is largely unexplored, they would do us a favor by taking photos and providing detailed maps. We could send food in exchange.

I prefer Baffin Island.We could fly them over in Hercules aircraft,issue them a parachute and a pack of matches and suggest they start they're very own anarchaic society.We'd be happy,they'd be.....well.......who cares?

Anarchists .....

Here in Canada they could form their own legitimate federal political party!
:D

[quote="The_Reginator, post:14, topic:203473"]
Anarchists .....

Here in Canada they could form their own legitimate federal political party!
:D

[/quote]

They have it's called the Bloc Quebecois.

[quote="Soutane, post:15, topic:203473"]
They have it's called the Bloc Quebecois.

[/quote]

Yup. :sad_yes:

I saw a post here that said one man who was arrested for weapons was really just a guy going to some kind of mock tournement. Now I can't find it. Can anyone lead me to it?

[quote="hazmae, post:17, topic:203473"]
I saw a post here that said one man who was arrested for weapons was really just a guy going to some kind of mock tournement. Now I can't find it. Can anyone lead me to it?

[/quote]

I think you may be referring to the case of Brian Barret. Police were alarmed by his arrows which instead of having pointed tips, were encased in fabric. It was assumed they were to be dipped in fuel, set ablaze, and then launched at targets of vandalism.

However, the arrows belong to Brian Barrett, a 25-year-old landscaper who was heading to a role-playing fantasy game when he was stopped at Union Station on Saturday morning. Police took his jousting gear but let Mr. Barrett go, saying it was a case of bad timing.

In addition to the arrows – which Mr. Barrett made safe for live-action role playing by cutting off the pointy ends and attaching a bit of pool noodle covered in socks – police displayed his metal body armour, foam shields and several clubs made of plastic tubing covered with foam and fabric.

theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/weapons-seized-in-g20-arrests-not-what-they-seem/article1622761/

That's it.
Thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.