Gabrielle Giffords Endorses Clinton

Gabrielle Giffords has made a rather emotional endorsement for Hillary Clinton. I think it’s a powerful endorsement because it would take a very hard-hearted person not to feel sympathy for Giffords. She fought a very hard battle, and I don’t know that it isn’t still on-going, though her voice sounded strong and fine in the ad. I agree with Giffords that we do have a gun problem in the US and that Clinton isn’t afraid to stand up to gun lobbyists.

And, no surprise, but the governor of South Carolina has also endorsed Clinton.

Whatever one thinks of Clinton, I hope all wish Giffords the best in her continuing fight to regain a normal and productive life. She is an inspiration to many.

Link? Nikki Haley, the Governor of South Carolina, is a Republican who endorsed Rubio.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/south-carolina-gov-nikki-haley-endorsing-marco-rubio/story?id=37006215

Oh, I’m sorry. I must have misheard because I do recall what you posted now that you mention it. I will try to find out what I misheard! :blush:

Edit: I can’t find it now, but here is a list of Clinton endorsements:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hillary_Clinton_presidential_campaign_endorsements,_2016

Here’s a link… cbsnews.com/news/new-hillary-clinton-ad-features-gabby-giffords/ Feel free to add it to your O.P. if it’s not too late to edit.

Thank you.

Regardless of your opinion on the “right to bear arms”, I’m not sure how a Catholic can support Clinton given her support of abortion and opposition to religious freedom.

Look at my name and read my initial post. I’m not Gabrielle Giffords. I’m Lily Bernans, and I’m a Sanders supporter, not a Clinton supporter.

I’ve not heard anything about Clinton opposing religious freedom, though. I’m sure she doesn’t oppose that.

How could you ever support Sanders?

Even the Chinese do not have enough money to loan us to do what wishes to do, furthermore look into his past. Real loser who discovered a way to get a free ride.:smiley:

Clinton did say

some in regards to religious beliefs must be changed, there are a lot of stories if one websearches that.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton took a feminist tone on Thursday. She told attendees at the sixth annual Women in The World Summit that “deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed” for the sake of giving women access to “reproductive health care and safe childbirth.”

“Far too many women are denied access to reproductive health care and safe childbirth, and laws don’t count for much if they’re not enforced. Rights have to exist in practice — not just on paper,” Clinton said.

realclearreligion.org/2015/04/25/hillary_clinton_religion_must_be_changed_266602.html

I am rather sure, there was a lengthy thread on this topic here.

I agree, 100%, God Bless, Memaw

I’m not sure how a Catholic can support Sanders given his support of abortion and his opposition to religious freedom.

Yes, I can totally see how someone who thinks religious beliefs must be subordinated to abortion could be seen as supporting religious freedom:rolleyes:

The other candidates all have bigger faults that would affect, and kill, albeit in a roundabout way, more people.

Really? What policy kills more than 1,000,000 persons a year?

By the way, this is likely not Catholic teaching either.

Really? I would think abortion, in which Church teaching is very explicit, would trump whatever your opinions might be on gun control, health care financing, or global warming might be, which the Church has no definite policy position on.

I do not have to defend my vote, but I will explain it to those of you who missed it in theology class, provided you were in theology class as I know not all Catholics have been.

It is not my intention to promote abortions by voting for Bernie Sanders. I don’t feel Bernie Sanders is going to be actively promoting abortions.

There are three components of any act: the act itself, intention, and consequences.

If a doctor knows a pregnant patient who has a diseased uterus, or cervix. is going to lose her child if he operates, he is not performing an abortion by removing the uterus and thus killing the child. He’s not even participating in abortion. The death of the child is not his intention; curing the patient of a diseased uterus is.

If a doctor knows the only way to relieve a patient of intractable pain is by giving him or her a huge dose of morphine that will likely kill him, his intention is not to kill the patient, but to relieve his pain. Therefore, when the patient dies, as the doctor suspected he would, the doctor is not morally culpable.

I am not voting for Sanders in the hope that he allows abortions to continue. I hope parents educate their children about the evil of abortions. I am voting for Sanders because I believe he would be the best and most honest president of the United States and do the country a lot of good. My intention is to see Sanders as president of the US, not to see abortion continue (and it will continue no matter who is elected or what their view is). I do not feel I can, in good conscience, vote for someone I believe is just saying what he feels the public wants to hear or someone who doesn’t even show up to work. The presidency is not a job where “not showing up for work” is an option.

The above is what is taught in every good textbook on moral theology. It is not proportionalism, etc. Ir is one of those “gray areas” in moral theology that another poster said did not exist. They do.

You can read about this in Morality: The Catholic View by Servais Pinckaers or The Moral Virtues and Theological Ethics by Romano Cessario or Life Issues, Medical Choices by Smith and Kaczor.

I don’t want to “discuss” it, it is just an explanation for all who “don’t know how a Catholic could vote for someone who believes in abortion.” Bernie Sanders, or even Hillary Clinton, are not going to be performing abortions or actively trying to persuade women to have one. Nor do I believe any Republican is going to do anything to put an end to abortion.

Choosing what(???) over innocent babies, nothing tops the number of babies that die from abortion every year!! Die hard Democrats, I know, I used to be one before Reagan!!! For the life of me, now I can’t figure out why except for the fact that I was raised one. BUT I can guarantee, right now that my Mom would NO longer be one if she was alive. Not since they went pro-abortion. She died in 1961 God Bless, Memaw

Nor do I believe any Republican is going to do anything to put an end to abortion.

We won’t discuss it, however, since hundreds of pro-life acts of legislation have been passed by States by Republicans, I do see this above as not being a fair statement and should indeed be noted.

As for me, I won’t turn my back on the children to be slaughtered while the Democratic party supports such.

The Church, and especially the Holy Father, have definite opinions on those things even if they aren’t doctrine.

People can consult one or all of the books I listed if they want to know more. Two were written by moral theologians and one by Catholic ethicists.

And, I respect your right to vote as you see fit. Wouldn’t dream of arguing with you about it.

I don’t know of any pro-life acts that have been passed by Republicans, but I’ll take your word for it. Still, abortion is still around after several Republican presidents since 1973. Still legal in all 50 states, unfortunately. I am not a proponent of abortion, but I think education at home and school and church is the place to stop it, not with who is president.

Good grief! The Republicans have had more than 40 years to get rid of abortion and haven’t done it! They aren’t going to do it now. I wasn’t even born when abortion became legal! The thought that they haven’t made inroads is more than 40 years is staggering. Granted, some governors - Christie and Kasich are the only two I know, though there may be more - have defunded PP, which is great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.