Galatians 3:28 - A Protestand Refutes Priesthood

Dear Friends,

I need help with the verse. A Protestant rejects priesthood based on Galatians 3 verse 28:

[BIBLEDRB]Galatians 3:28[/BIBLEDRB]

I am just a simple but faithful Catholic.

Thanks in forward for all responses.

He thinks that one verse says there is no priesthood?

What does he say of all the verses that talk about how to choose new leaders of the church? Does he believe there are leaders but just doesn’t want to call them priests?

You both may believe the bible verse seems self explanatory to his position, but since there are MANY bible verses that show that Christ did in fact found a church with leaders, I really don’t see how that one verse can be interpreted in a manner that contradicts all the other scripture.

Could you elaborate?

[quote="annaevers, post:1, topic:321417"]
Dear Friends,

I need help with the verse. A Protestant rejects priesthood based on Galatians 3 verse 28:

[/quote]

That verse has nothing to do about priesthood. It is about the equality we all enjoy before God. Your Protestant friend relies too much solely on scripture as a source of authority. Tell him there is two sources of authority in the Church. One is Scripture and the other is Holy Tradition. God gave to the Orthodox, Eastern, and Catholic Churches two sources of authority to safeguard it from heresy. So if a person uses scripture wrongly the Holy Tradition of the Church will correct it. Scripture can easily be interpreted to sway you from truth. To safeguard it the Church established Holy Tradition as another source of authority. Without Holy Tradition the whole Church would have split up. What safeguards the Catholic and Eastern Church from doing this is her two authorities. It is much like the four legs of authority in the American system of government. The President, Senate, House of Representatives and the Judicial all work together to protect each other from taking over the government in a unruly manner. In the same manner the Church has these two authorities to protect itself in case one is led also in a unruly manner.

Galatians 3:28 has nothing to do with the priesthood. It refers to the acceptance of all into the community of believers who accept Jesus Christ as their savior.
Refer your friend back to the Acts of the Apostles. Those who accepted the preaching of Peter were baptized (Acts 2:31). They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers. (Acts2:42).

As Catholics, we view our priests as receiving their authority from the the Apostles who received their instruction directly from Jesus Christ. The task of authentically interpreting the Word of God, whether written or handed on has been entrusted exclusively to the living teaching office of the Church, the magisterium, whose authority is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ.

Thank you, MariaG and chimo for replying.

I was pointing out to him that during Last Supper Our Lord not only left us His Body and Blood but also the priesthood to give the faithful His Body and Blood through the Holy Sacrifice. He reply to me with that verse and left me speechless as I can’t see the connection.

I suppose he might want to show that Jesus did not institute priesthood and we all are equal? I am truly dumbfounded.

I don’t see the connection of the topic to the verse.

Our Lord has clearly set His disciples apart - repeatedly - in scripture. They are the ones He annointed to preach the Gospel, heal the sick and cast out demons. The few who are gifted to hear and understand the parables. The ones who can bind and lose on earth and it will be held so in heaven. And Peter, the rock upon which He built His Church.

The priesthood also existed and very strong in the law when Jesus arrived. He was not meant to change the law - not an iota, not a dot. Even amidst the corruption of the Pharisees and teachers of the law, Jesus said, “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach." By saying this, He recognized authority of the priesthood, in fact - even if they themselves didn’t follow what they preached.

Well that’s just one of the many dangers of depending on scripture alone for salvation.

In addition to the previous good answers,

1. I recommend that you read all of Galatians 3, to understand the verse in context. It is obviously not about whether or not there are priests.

2. If your friend thinks that this verse implies that there are no priests in the church then ask him/her whether it also implies that there are no leaders with authority. In most Protestant denominations the leaders strongly believe in a biblical basis for their authority. :rolleyes:

ps. Greetings from South Australia! :slight_smile:

I am not sure where your friend got this idea from but it nothing to do with the priesthood. I would suggest to the person to explain themselves and show you the commentary that asserts their view.

This is from one of my commentaries on Galations.

3:23–4:7 —The merely supervisory role of the law is over. Using the analogy of a child coming of age, Paul concludes (twice:3:23–29; 4:1–7) that only faith in Christ Jesus produces true children/heirs, thus setting them free from slavery, through the gift of the Spirit (the Spirit of the Son, the true heir!).

Pax et Bonum

It also refutes nationalities… That means the whole world is American, and German, and Russian…

It also rejects that there is no one in prison… there seems to be quite a number of those who will disagree…

Have this confused soul read 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Acts in its entirety and then try to defend this misinterpreted verse…

“And we know that the eunuch who was reading Isaiah the prophet, and did not understand what he read, was not sent by the Apostle to an angel, nor was it an angel who explained to him what he did not understand, nor was he inwardly illuminated by the grace of God without the interposition of man; on the contrary, at the suggestion of God, Philip, who did understand the prophet, came to him, and sat with him, and in human words, and with a human tongue, opened to him the Scriptures.” - St. Augustine of Hippo (“On Christian Doctrine” 4th century A.D.)

Anyway, I thought Protestants believed in priesthood hence Pope Leo XIII in Apostolicae Curae declaring all Anglican ordinations to be “absolutely null and utterly void”.

The problem with Protestants is that they don’t know HOW to read the Bible. They pull out snippets, out of context, and twist them to mean what they want them to mean, rather than what the author intended them to mean in the first place. That’s why there are literally tens of thousands of man-made, doctrinally disagreeing Protestant denominations.

Use these

scripturecatholic.com/the_priesthood.html
dropbox.com/s/manl2aaqd5li4c4/Apologetics%20Biblicial%20Fondation.pdf

If you wish to throw scripture at him like he does to you then use this route. Take up some references from scripture that shows there is a priesthood. Show to him by using the same tools he is using. As a guide use the Catechism of the Catholic Church where references to the priesthood give notations in scripture to defend it. For instance Jesus breathed on the Apostles the Holy Spirit saying whatever sins they retain are retained and what sins are forgiven are forgiven. This is certainly a reference to the sacrament of confession. The fact that Jesus said this only to men also confers His choice as men that can only be priests and bishops. Jesus calling on Paul is another source for establishing him as a priest and bishop. Paul's letter to Timothy signifying what kind of man should be ordained to be a priest. He even suggested that Timothy's youth should not deter his responsibility to act as bishop for the Church. There are many other references to look up. Have fun searching them. Defend the Church's position by using the same tools your friend is using.

Jesus did not end the priesthood but specifically stated that it was to continue.

Galatians 3:28 says that we are one in Christ, and it is absolutely true. We are one body in Christ. We are all one body, but the body has individual members and each member has a diffeent fuction.

For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. (Romans 12:4-5)

Catholics believe that some function as priests. Old Testament priests led the Jews in liturgical worship and presided at the offerings which atoned for sin. Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus end that priesthood. In fact, Jesus explicitly continues the priesthood, the forgiveness of sins which the Old Testament priests were ministers of. .

Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." (John 20:21-23)

Jesus continues the priesthood right there in John 20:23, but we have to read and hear the Gospel as a first century Jew would have heard it and read it in order to understand it properly.

-Tim-

I cannot see anything that would make this verse useful for refuting the priesthood! Here is the footnote from the Aquinas Study Bible

**3:28 **Since you have been baptized in Christ, the rite from which you came to Christ, whether it was the Jewish or the Greek, is no ground for saying that anyone occupies a less honorable place in the faith. (St. Thomas Aquinas) there is neither male nor female: In Christ the mutual opposition between man and woman - which is the inheritance of original sin - is essentially overcome. (Pope John Paul II Mulieris Dignitate 4) Nor should it be forgotten that we owe to Saint Paul one of the most vigorous texts in the New Testament on the fundamental equality of men and women, as children of God in Christ. Therefore there is no reason for accusing him of prejudices against women, when we note the trust that he shows towards them and the collaboration that he asks of them in his apostolate. (Franjo Cardinal Seper INT INSIG QUES ADM WOM MINIS PRIES)

And so he ignores where St Paul says that not all are an eye or an ear or a foot?

Come on this is a silly argument. Proof texting never proves the point and can be answered back just as easily by more proof texting (as I just showed).

However the New Testament is replete with images that do away with this thinking. For example:

We are spoken of being in the Kingdom of Christ which means we are beneath Christ even though we are one with Him.

He is our high priest, and what is a high priest without priests?

We are a kingdom of priests. Which means we are a kingdom under the priests much like those in the Kingdom of Queen Elizabeth are not themselves Queen Elizabeth but are under her rule so also those in the Kingdom of priests are not themselves priests but must have priests to be under.

The aforementioned notion of the Body.

The Office of the Keys, and really most intellectually honest protestants do not deny this exists they just argue about Peter.

Christ himself says “Those who receive you receive me and so receive the One who sent me.” Are we to take this statement to mean that sending of the Apostles was only figurative and had to do with teaching? And if so does that makes Christ’s coming figurative and His death and resurrection a teaching moment and not reality. I think even a hard-boiled protestant would quail at this notion. So clearly as Christ is under the Father, and the Apostles are under Christ, and the Bishops are under the Apostles, so we…

Well you get the idea.

You can make the Bible say anything you want and all you need is a pair of scissors to cut out the stuff you don’t like. But if you claim to believe in Sola Scriptura and to let Scripture interpret Scripture (as protestants claim to do) then you must take the full sense of Scripture in all that it teaches to inform your belief and then be subject to it.

btw this is why I was such a bad protestant.

God Bless

=annaevers;10571778]Dear Friends,

ALL this IS teaching is that God; Perfect and Good desires that everyone freely choose Him and the Beatific Vision. Mt. 19; 17 “God. But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments” … Jn. 3:5 “Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God”.

As for the priesthood: God does not change:) Malachi 3:6 “For I am the Lord, and I change not”

Exodus 35:19 “The vestments that are to be used in the ministry of the sanctuary, the vesture of Aaron the high priest, and of his sons, to do the office of priesthood to me”

Matthew 8:4 “And Jesus saith to him: See thou tell no man: but go, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift which Moses commanded for a testimony unto them”

Heb. 4: 14-16 “Having therefore a great high priest that hath passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God: let us hold fast our confession. For we have not a high priest, who can not have compassion on our infirmities: but one tempted in all things like as we are, without sin. ***Let us go therefore with confidence to the throne of grace: that we may obtain mercy, and find grace in seasonable aid”***.

Heb. 5: 1 “For every high priest taken from among men, is ordained for men in the things that appertain to God, that he may offer up gifts and sacrifices for sins” [SEE John 20:19-23] & 4-6 "** Neither doth any man take the honour to himself, but he that is called by God**, as Aaron was. So Christ also did not glorify himself, that he might be made a high priest: but he that said unto him: Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another place: Thou art a priest for ever, according to the order of Melchisedech"

John.15: 16 “ "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you”

Acts.20: 28 “Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God [SINGULAR] which he obtained with the blood of his own Son.”

Romans 13: 2 “Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.”

Luke 22:19 [Eucharist] “And taking bread, he gave thanks, and brake; and gave to them, saying: This is my body, which is given for you.** Do this for a commemoration of me”**… 1 Corinthians 11:24-25 “And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me”

2Pet.2:1 “But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.”

Jer.3: 15 “`And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding”

John.10: 16 “And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd”

Eph. 2:19-20 “So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.”

BECAUSE THEIR IS BUT ONE GOD; THERE CAN LOGICALLY AND FACTUALLY BE ONLY ONE SET OF FAITH BELIEVES. GOD WHO IS PERFECT CAN’T HOLD CONTRADICTORY VIEWS ON DEFINED ISSUES.

NOR DID GOD WAIT 1600 YEARS FOR CALVIN TO MAKE HIS SINGULAR TRUTHS KNOWN. AMEN:thumbsup:

You are all great! Thanks a lot! Your responses helped enormously. God bless.

Acts 20:28:
“So guard yourselves and God’s people. Feed and shepherd God’s flock—his church, purchased with his own blood* —over which the Holy Spirit has appointed you as elders."

John 20:22
Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, they are forgiven. If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Acts 14:23
Paul and Barnabas also appointed elders in every church. With prayer and fasting, they turned the elders over to the care of the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.

1 Timothy 4:14
Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received through the prophecy spoken over you when the elders of the church laid their hands on you.

2 Timothy 1:6
This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.

Titus 1:5
I left you on the island of Crete so you could complete our work there and appoint elders in each town as I instructed you.

See also…
thesacredpage.com/2013/03/why-priests-response-to-michael-bird.html
thesacredpage.com/2013/03/why-priests-part-1-priesthood-of-all.html
thesacredpage.com/2013/03/why-priests-part-2-priesthood-in-jewish.html
thesacredpage.com/2013/03/why-priests-part-3-priesthood-of_20.html
thesacredpage.com/2013/03/why-priests-part-4-priesthood-of.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.