Galatians 3 question

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

can this passage support the LBGT community or different types male and female roles in society? OT clearly makes a distinction between male and female. Seems after you are baptized in Christ all are the same to him? does gender play a role in heaven or mean anything.

The letter to the Galatians was written by Paul to address ethnically Jewish Christians who insisted that Gentile Christians had to obey the Law of Moses in order to be saved.

“All one in Christ Jesus” means that all members of the Church are part of Christ’s Body. It has nothing to do with making us all equal and nothing to do with homosexuality or sex change operations in the twenty first century.

-Tim-

No; that takes the passage too far and in directions that Paul isn’t going, here.

can this passage support the LBGT community or different types male and female roles in society?

Not sure what you’re trying to ask. Are you asking whether those with homosexual inclinations can be saved? Of course they can. Are you asking whether those who act on homosexual inclinations, without repenting, can be saved? That’s not what Paul’s asserting here.

OT clearly makes a distinction between male and female.

Of course. But, what Paul is asserting here is that one’s prospects of attaining to heaven don’t depend on being Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female: all of these can attain to heaven. It’s not like any of these distinctions give anyone an advantage in attaining to heaven.

Nothing more than that is going on here. Look at the context (emphasis mine):

“through faith you are all children of God in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free person, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”

No. He is saying the exact opposite. There are no subgroups or distinctions that separate. all are one in Christ.

No, Jesus made us male and female. It is not all the same to Him. We are not to allow our sexuality, gender, ethnic identity or social status to separate us from unity in Him and with each other.

No, gender has no meaning in heaven.

…29But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30"For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. Matt 22:30.

There is no gender or procreation in heaven.

You would do well to study John Paul II’s Theology of the Body. Gender has no procreative meaning in heaven. However, God made us male and female; it’s part of our identity as human persons. That meaning does not depart from us, even in heaven.

…29But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30"For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. Matt 22:30.

There is no gender or procreation in heaven.

How do you get “no gender”? I can see “no procreation”, but I’m not seeing where you infer “no gender” there…

Perhaps I did not use the best choice of words. Yes of course you are right. I mean to say that sexual procreativity the the engagement of gender opposities for that purpose is not relevant in heaven, is that a better way to say it?

I see your point, maybe there is a better way to say it. Humans are not sexually active in heaven? No genital relations?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.