Gallup: Public Confidence in TV News at All-Time Low

cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/gallup-public-confidence-tv-news-all-time-low

Results for other institutions as well, if you click the link “Gallup Confidence Survey.pdf” in the article.

Thank you. The news, including online, does three things wrong:

1. Too much repetition and a lack of in-depth reporting. I don’t need 20 different places to get some version of the same story. Or confrontational and loud debates between people.

2. TV news has a definite agenda. It is not balanced.

3. Too much: death, killing, death, killing, death, killing. Only severe weather matters. And, of course, we should have compassion, but come on. Around the year 2000, Walter Cronkite, a veteran TV news reporter, told Larry King that he regretted the tabloidization of TV news.

Peace,
Ed

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=173086&stc=1&d=1329255140

Those are such excellent points. I will add to them:

1. Media ownership is concentrated to a very, very select few. If we chatted with those owners over dinner, we would have nothing in common with them, particularly our values. (This is the reason for point (2))

The historical chart is interesting as well. Notice how organized religion dropped in 2002 and never recovered. Our current Holy Father is the right man to help us turn this around.

wow i actually forgot what Ted Knight looked like, i had to google image him before it hit me. Really brings you back to the seventies doesn’t it. My sister watched that program every week. I just remember watching Mary throwing her hat up into the air and then I’d leave.:stuck_out_tongue:

It would have been nice if they broke down the survey by the different networks and news channels to see if it matters which TV news channels people watch.

Thank you. Yes, only a handful of global corporations own most media. Books, magazines, newspapers and parts of the internet. Regarding organized religion, look here:

pewforum.org/2013/02/13/the-global-catholic-population/

Peace,
Ed

“I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.”
— MSNBC’s Chris Matthews during live coverage, February 12, 2008. [See MP3 audio here.]

Read more: newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2013/12/03/chris-matthewss-multiple-obamagasms-top-10-most-tingling-quotes#ixzz35FkDBcgQ

dailycaller.com/2013/09/03/chris-mathews-says-obama-still-gives-him-thrills-up-his-leg/

Truth can be stranger than fiction. :rolleyes:

And some other politicians possibly have to PAY for their ads on MSNBC!

The media seems to have caught a case of “Credibility Gap” - a malady they complained about in Politicians (when I was young). :shrug:

And the talking head lickspittles on the nightly news programs wonder why their ratings are falling. Some day journalism school students will be doing papers on how both broadcast and print media betrayed journalistic ethics and sold their souls to an agenda during this era.

They’ll have to go back about 40 years to see the full story.

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.