Gambling in Church?

Sorry, I really wasn’t sure where to post this
So my church was having this thing called “Monte Carlo Night” which includes gambling (slots, plinko, etc) :eek: It really bothers me that my church would support this behavior by allowing it ON CHURCH PROPERTY! Does this sound weird to anyone else, or is it just me?
Thank you! :smiley:

As long as it’s not in the church itself, I could see that in a catholic parish. Should they be? Not in my opinion unless it’s for fun and not money, or the proceeds go to charity or the Church or something. :slight_smile:

Parishes have lots of different forms of fundraisers. If you don’t like this type of fundraising, you should come up with another way of getting the money the parish needs.

Many parishes have festivals of some sort, others have golf tournaments or dinner auctions. Of course many of these other fundraisers also include gambling of some type ranging from bingo games to raffle tickets.

I personally don’t see a problem, but if you do you should find a solution.

Thank you Convert99 :slight_smile:

Yeah, my parish does a lot of fundraising like that (actually they do all of those), I guess I was just a little put off by the gambling. Some things just seem like they should be off-limits, at least on church property.

our church had a Monte Carlo Night and we had a ball. I took a set amount with the idea I would lose it all. More like it was going to be a donation. I played the games, won some too but I played till I lost it all. It was fun to win and I didn’t care if I lost since I knew it was a fundraiser for the school.

I would have donated any winnings if I still had had some money left when the event finished for the evening.

Vatican - CCC - English - Prt3:Sec2:Ch2:Art7
2413 Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant.
In short:
Gambling is not sinful
Gambling to excess is sinful
If you have an addiction to gambling it is best not to do so
Don’t cheat.

There is always a bingo night happening in some church but always in the other room where the coffee morning is held not the actual church itself.

We are the religion of common sense and balance.

The individual can decide themselves, with direction of the Church’s teachings of course, what is an occasion of sin or not.

Goodness, I thought from your title that it was going to be IN the church!

I don’t see why there’s a problem if it’s somewhere else on the grounds.

Nothing wrong with it as long as it’s not in the church itself. Catholic churches have raised money this way for decades. I remember weekly bingo in the 50s.

Thank you all for the replies! I just started going back to church last year so I am kind of new to the church scene (I stopped going about 10 years ago and decided to start going again) :thumbsup: I really appreciate all of the replies and explanations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.