Gamers: what's your opinion of Onlive?

My friend told me about onlive a few weeks ago, and after seeing an ad, I decided to check it out. Basically, it's a cloud based gaming service. When connected, your keyboard and mouse (or controller) input is sent automatically to their servers, and they stream back a live, HD video feed of your game. This means that, provided your internet connection is good enough, you can play über realistic games on a netbook because their servers do all the work of rendering the graphics, and all your computer does is display a video stream.

My first question was about lag, but, while it's there, it doesn't seem too bad, and eventually I was able to forget that this is all streaming from a server in California.

So what does everyone think of it? I've heard a LOT of negative reactions from PC gamers. I've never been a big PC gamer. I haven't even really played a console in years, and haven't really messed around with a PS3 or Xbox 360, so all these new fangled bump maps and light blooms are new for me, so I don't really care whether the video is compressed because I wouldn't know the difference.

Give me your opinions

When talking to these guys at GDC (Game Developers Conference) I had a very strong feeling that OnLive is providing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I can't think of one reason why gamers would pick this service over an HD PC or console experience.

One of my other concerns is the question of ownership. Why...oh God why...would gamers would want to "rent" BOTH aspects of the gaming experience. That being the game itself and the platform on which it runs.

Dunno. I think Cloud Computing has its uses in many things, I just don't think that gaming can ever be one of them.

My $0.02.

D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.