Gaming for Satan: New Video Games Mock the Church and Glorify Satan

These new video games are mainstream and very dangerous. I figured I'd post this as a warning to parents and anyone who is around a gamer as a warning.

A long-time video gamer and devout Catholic is sounding the alarm about a new breed of satanically-themed video games that target God and the Catholic Church, invite players to make pacts with the devil, and elevate Satan to hero status.

He has seen games gradually become more occult-based, promoting Satan and even the persecution of Christians. For instance, in one game, players kill the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael before going on to destroy God. Another game requires players to sell their soul to the devil and rewards them for “killing unbaptized infants.” One game has Muslims killing Christians in a holy war.

All these games seem to have one central theme - God is the enemy and the devil is the hero. One game guide blatantly states: “The Judeo-Christian God is portrayed as the prominent villain in the series . . .”

He provided us with the following list of the most egregious games:

(These are listed in the full article in the link below.)
lhla.org/breaking_news/?p=3966

The only game on that list I played, this is such a misrepresentation of the game that I don't know where to start. It does not promote Satan or mock the Church. One of the characters is the party is kind of an atheist, but another is devoutly religious...

In fact the main goal of the game is to kill a demon and protect the land from its army...

I find that most arguments against the play of video games have to set up enormous straw-men to attack it.

Are some of these descriptions dramatized? Maybe.

Are they all correct in some way? Most likely :)

A guy I know who is discerning a vocation to the priesthood also has played video games where he's had to fight & kill cardinals and the Pope, and he doesn't see anything wrong with that :confused:

I have Dragon Age, it has several scenarios throughout the game. I think you can even have a homosexual experience which would have kept me from buying it had I known. But other than that, its not something you want the kids to see. It doesnt show any nudity, close and the whole thing at the end where the witch asks you to get her pregnant is avoidable. I told her no. Other than that, I did not see anything about God in general in the game.

Most, if not all of the bad stuff is avoidable in it.

Is Assasins Creed really about a Muslim killing Christians? I was hoping to get that one.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:5, topic:185792"]
I have Dragon Age, it has several scenarios throughout the game. I think you can even have a homosexual experience which would have kept me from buying it had I known. But other than that, its not something you want the kids to see. It doesnt show any nudity, close and the whole thing at the end where the witch asks you to get her pregnant is avoidable. I told her no. Other than that, I did not see anything about God in general in the game.

[/quote]

A couple of points about that game:

1. The religious community and theology of the game is remarkably similar to modern day Catholicism/Christianity. However, this similarity is often used to portray the weaknesses of this type of religious belief system. Many of the characters and dialogue options paint religion as rather quaint. The priests in the game's world are only women (opposite Catholicism). These seem like pretty obvious attempts to simulate Christianity as a whole and replace it with a humanistic moral.

2. When you beat the game, listen to the soft rock music that plays in the credits. The singer starts a "I don't believe in x, I don't believe in y" pattern. Towards the end, he says I don't believe in God. Then he argues that he only believes in the truth of his own existence. Rather silly, but it certainly blends itself with the "gay is okay" attitude and "religion is quaint" themes running throughout the game.

Having said all that, I'm playing it all the way through for the third time. I just make it a point to ignore all that foolishness. It seems that the new philosophy of humanism has permeated just about everything, so I mentally filter all of it when playing a game or watching television.

[quote="Nec5, post:6, topic:185792"]
A couple of points about that game:

1. The religious community and theology of the game is remarkably similar to modern day Catholicism/Christianity. However, this similarity is often used to portray the weaknesses of this type of religious belief system. Many of the characters and dialogue options paint religion as rather quaint. The priests in the game's world are only women (opposite Catholicism). These seem like pretty obvious attempts to simulate Christianity as a whole and replace it with a humanistic moral.

2. When you beat the game, listen to the soft rock music that plays in the credits. The singer starts a "I don't believe in x, I don't believe in y" pattern. Towards the end, he says I don't believe in God. Then he argues that he only believes in the truth of his own existence. Rather silly, but it certainly blends itself with the "gay is okay" attitude and "religion is quaint" themes running throughout the game.

Having said all that, I'm playing it all the way through for the third time. I just make it a point to ignore all that foolishness. It seems that the new philosophy of humanism has permeated just about everything, so I mentally filter all of it when playing a game or watching television.

[/quote]

I just finished my first run through. I didnt even really think about it till you pointed that out. I have a hard time selecting the "bad guy" choices throughout the game though.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:7, topic:185792"]
I just finished my first run through. I didnt even really think about it till you pointed that out. I have a hard time selecting the "bad guy" choices throughout the game though.

[/quote]

That's the run thought I'm doing now. I'm acting like a killer; and I don't plan on being nice to party members. I'm curious about how the ending will handle this kind of cold-hearted character.

I didn't like the "someone must die" choice at the end. It seemed arbitrary. You've got magic and mayhem for solving all the other impossible trials in the game, but not this one? Bah.

[quote="Nec5, post:8, topic:185792"]
That's the run thought I'm doing now. I'm acting like a killer; and I don't plan on being nice to party members. I'm curious about how the ending will handle this kind of cold-hearted character.

I didn't like the "someone must die" choice at the end. It seemed arbitrary. You've got magic and mayhem for solving all the other impossible trials in the game, but not this one? Bah.

[/quote]

Yea, I thought so too. I was hoping that the guy on the back of the dragon had not died from the fall and would come out of nowhere, instead I killed off my character.

Recommend any other games, similar to this? I've always been a big RPG fan. I use to play a few different MUD games.

Yeah, none of the various ending scenarios are particularly satisfying to me.

All I can recommend are older games like this. Baldurs Gate I and II, and Icewind Dale are similar although they are, again, older in terms of graphics. Check out screenshots over at gamefaqs if you want to check them out. Depending on how retro you are, you could even scrounge up the old D&D gold box games (Pools of Darkness, Secret of the Silver Blades, etc.)

Aside from those, I can’t recommend any similar RPGs for the PC. Sadly, most of the games today are for the various consoles. If you have a few of those(current generation and older generation) as I do, there’s far more to consider.

If kids are so influenced by simple video games, perhaps it is the parenting which must be re-evaluated. Spending time on Huff Post is more likely to turn you into an aetheist then playing video games with dumbed-down heaven/hell themes.

Wasn’t this already in the Popular Media forum? :ehh:

Anyways here’s my response to that:

Can I still buy Darksiders? That's the question....

I can say with certainty that the article's representation of 6 is completely and utterly false.

Only the first game really is what they say it is. Techmo’s Deception has you playing as a man burned at the stake by the Church he calls out for anyone, but anyone to help him. The devil responds.

You then lure in victims and kill them so Satan can have there souls. Depending on your choices the devil will win OR God steps in and the character is redeemed.

Also no Xenogears!?

Some of those games are neither new nor mainstream, and nearly all of the claims in that article are gross exaggerations.

For example, in Assassin’s creed 2, the assassinations are not religiously motivated. The assassin is trying to prevent a group of people from using alien technology to dominate the whole world via mind control.

Articles like this are no different than local news stories with taglines like “Which common household product could cause the sun to explode? Find out at 11.”

Though I haven’t played Assassin’s Creed, I have read a good deal about it. The game does not revolve around Muslims killing Christians. The focus is more on a secret society of assassins (probably based on Islamic groups such as the Hashshashin) who are neutral in the events of the Crusades. Their antagonists are the Knights Templar, portrayed (stereotypically) as corrupt and power hungry.

Now, while the game, and its sequel, do not directly attack the Church, the plot of the game is somewhat problematic. First off, the main character is an assassin and the missions in the game revolve around assassinating certain characters. Secondly, the story of the game implies that no religion is exactly true. The “Pieces of Eden”, ancient alien technology that both the Templars and the Brotherhood of Assassins are after, are said to be the cause of the various of the miraculous actions through history, from the parting of the Read Sea, the greek gods appearances at the Battle of Troy, as well as the resurrection of a man called Jesus. They are apparently able to control people, or create illusions to control them (incidentally, one of the piece, called “The Staff”, is implied to be the staff of Moses, as well as the Papal staff. Make of that what you will).

A Catholic with a well formed conscience and a willingness to overlook these flaws could enjoy the game for what its worth. I just thought these points were worth mentioning. Peace.

Games like these, like Dragon Age and God of War (I’ve never played either), just sound sacreligious, so I just avoid them altogether. The only game that I played that had something sacreligious in it was BioShock 2. Isn’t there a part in that where you have to kill a priest? I didn’t want to find out the hard way, so I just stopped playing it.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:5, topic:185792"]

Is Assasins Creed really about a Muslim killing Christians? I was hoping to get that one.

[/quote]

You're an assassin, and you follow a sort of code that seems more along the lines of 'professional ethics' than religion, though you are ethnically Arab.

During the game you roll through a series of cities killing off Muslim and Christian targets (everyone in the game is either Muslim or Christian), who are generally 'bad' people. I haven't finished the game yet, but so far it doesn't seem especially condemnatory of Christianity.

And I think you can download it from Steam for like 10 bucks or something now. It's gotten cheap :P

Oh hey, I remember this thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.