GAMING: Gran Turismo Challenge

This thread is mainly to gauge interest in a GT4 challenge series. I’ve seen this done on other forums before, but I was always late or couldn’t otherwise participate. Basically, it works like this: each week, the person in charge of the series will post a car and a track. Each person involved in the series has until the deadline (typically one week) to submit a screenshot of their time. Whoever is in charge then posts results, along with the next challenge. Points are awarded for each of the top 6 positions in each race, and the person with the most points at the end of the series is declared the winner. Should a majority of drivers elect to continue into a new season, I would suggest that a new thread be started, and the winner of the previous series becomes the one to select tracks and cars, and compiles results. This way it gives the originator a little break (assuming (s)he doesn’t win the championship).

I would suggest that we use the GT4 method of points scoring. I believe it looks as follows: (I’ll update later if it’s inaccurate)

1st: 10 points
2nd: 6
3rd: 5
4th: 4
5th: 3
6th: 1

I would also suggest that the series run a total of 10 races. Further rules (such as no wall bumps, must keep at least 2 tires on the track at all times, etc) will be forthcoming assuming that there is enough initial interest. Im guessing that as long as I get more than 5 respondants, we will be ok to start. Should interest be overwhelming, we can revisit the points to allow for more competitors.

Now, any takers?

-CK

Ok, the actual points table for GT4 is as follows:

1st: 10
2nd: 6
3rd: 4
4th: 3
5th: 2
6th: 1

-CK

Nobody? Not even one?

-CK

GT4, that’s a game right? :smiley:

I might be interested if (a) I had an Xbox 360, (b) I had the game GT4, © I had an online account or whatever it takes to do that. I’d prefer to rather make a GT4 rather than play it. :confused: So sorry. What happened to GT1 2 and 3, I must have missed them. Where have I been? :stuck_out_tongue:

Phil P

Let me see if I can correct some of your misconceptions here. The good news is that Gran Turismo 4 is only available for the PS2, so you wouldn’t need an Xbox of any stripe. I’m not exactly certain what you mean by making a GT4. :confused: GT1 and 2 came out for the original PlayStation system, and GT3 was one of the original PS2 games available. Sadly, the GT series has never had online capability, which means your (and my) lack of online account doesn’t mean a whole lot either. It would certainly be easier with online play, but not having it allows for players to take as many runs as they like within the given time fame, and at any time they chose. Thus, we don’t have to coordinate being online at a specific time. For this type of series, it actually works out better not being online.

-CK

CK << The good news is that Gran Turismo 4 is only available for the PS2, so you wouldn’t need an Xbox of any stripe. >>

Ah ha! I do have a PS2 so we might be onto something! :stuck_out_tongue:

CK << I’m not exactly certain what you mean by making a GT4. >>

Here’s what I mean:

Get 3DS Studio Max, learn it thoroughly. Design the cars and the racing tracks.

Get Visual Studio, learn it thoroughly. Program the 3D engine and game in C, C++, or C# (or with XNA Game Studio). Or use OpenGL and Linux. What fun. :confused:

Time required to make Vaz Turizmo: 5 years. That’s the only drawback. :stuck_out_tongue:

Driving games are some of my favorites. I was joking since I have seen the Gran Turismo games in the stores at least. I have some of the older EA Sports driving and NASCAR games for PS2 and original Xbox.

Phil P

While I do have a copy of Visual Studio, I don’t really feel the need to design a game engine that already exists. If I were getting a salary for it, I would definitely reconsider, but seeing as how that’s not the case…

Anyway, it surprises me that nobody on this board has either a copy of GT4 or the interest to take the challenge.

-CK

Hey I misunderstood your original post. I assumed you were talking online play, but reading closer :stuck_out_tongue: you mean taking a “screen shot” of the game playing it single player. One question: How do you take a screen shot from the PS2?

I was running my PS2 through my VCR/DVD thing, I guess I could videotape the last part of my game, convert that tape to PC Windows .wmv or whatever video format, then take a screen shot of that. Am I close? Does everyone know how to take “screen shots” of their games or am I just dumb? :smiley:

Many of the PS2 games are now “bargain” price so I might consider buying Vaz Turizmo 4 :thumbsup: for your challenge here. I just don’t play games that much, I’d rather program them (but that takes ungodly amounts of time).

Phil P

I don’t know that it really needs to be all that involved. I know that in some cases, GT4 allows you to save out to a USB drive. I don’t know if race results are one of those cases or not. I’ve seen where people send in pictures taken from their cell phone. The “how” is really not all that important. It simply provides some means for verification of your time. It won’t stop all methods of cheating by any means, but it helps. (I would hope that anyone posting on a Catholic message board would be honorable enough to follow the rules as stated, but you never know)

If you don’t yet have a copy of GT4, you should be able to pick it up at Wal-Mart or Target for $19.99. You might get lucky and find a used copy at EB or another game store for less, but I wouldn’t pay more than $20 for it at this point.

Having said all this, unless we can find at least a couple more players, the whole thing is pretty much moot. I know I can’t be the only one on these boards with a copy of GT4.

-CK

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.