Gaming: GTA4

I have decided not to as it is way to violent. The new Super Smash Bros. will do me.

I don’t have a problem with violence (I’m a Metal Gear Solid fan), but I do object to violence utterly divorced from any kind of moral framework–or rather, one where you’re rewarded for doing evil. Compared to GTA, Ryuu ga Gotoku (“Yakuza” in the States) is “Francis of Assisi: The RTS.”

Actually come to think of it there’s not even any comparison between RgG and GTA.

Video games in a Catholic forum? Oooooo, what a treat! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I would never touch GTA. Who knows, the developers could put in another hot coffee. Or even worse, a “dulled” version that would barely scrape an M rating. No way I’m buying anything from a company that thinks that this sort of thing is alright to put in their games. :mad:

Any trend to produce programmes and products - including animated films and video games - which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray anti-social behaviour or the trivialization of human sexuality is a perversion

well pope benidict said this so im not planing on buying anything like that. surprised catholics would consider it

I agree completely. It’s gotten way out of hand these days. I want no part of games in which murder is the entire point (Hitman, Assassin’s Creed, etc.). It’s really sick, as far as I’m concerned. When I play games, I want to experience things that I want to do; and definitely does not include slaughtering innocents.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

I will pass. It is getting harder to find a character to play as who is not a scumbag.

I did just play through Assassin’s Creed though…too bad Altair is a cocky jerk - but if you take it for what it is and just try to enjoy the gameplay it is quite an amazing game. Climbing church towers is the best part.

Wow, first I found these forums, and already a thread on gaming. :slight_smile:

I’ve been an avid gamer for a VERY long time. (Think back to the days of pong, LOL). However, I don’t think I’ll be buying GTA. It’s not that I’m against violence in games, to me, they are just that, games, entertainment etc. and I enjoy them thoroughly, however, violence for the sake of violence is not something I am interested in.

I DO admit however I am enjoying the heck out of Super Smash Bros. on the Wii, and am looking VERY forward to MGS4 on the PS3. Recently played stuff I really enjoyed includes COD4, Uncharted - Drakes Fortune, Zelda Twilight Princess and Oblivion. (If I had to pick, I’d say the RPG genre is my favorite).

Game on! :smiley:

At least in GTA San Andreas you could play a scumbag who repents and becomes a commercial airline pilot for hours on end, but ultimately I’d have been better off getting a dedicated flight sim lol.

Getting the game day one!!!

I predict that it is going to be the Game of the Year 2008.

Calling in sick on April 29th is a sure thing!!!

I can’t wait to go toe-to-toe with the police again. It’s going to be all kinds of awesome with the online modes.

Grand Theft Auto 4 - The first “true” Next Generation game.

I’m totally pumped!!!

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not; I’d like to assume that you are. But, if you aren’t, why is murdering policemen your idea of a good time?

DH would get it, but it’s only coming out for the PS3, or that’s what he read. The PS3 is waaaaay too expensive right now for it to fit into our budget.

Because the police in GTA make for good fictional opponents.

There are tons of great “what-if” scenerios in games.

Do you play games by any chance?

It’s coming out for the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. I’m getting it for the PS3 - free WiFi and free Online play FTW!!!

Having just bought a XBOX 360 a few months back (deliberate choice over a PS3 even though it is older technology) the best games I’ve played on it so far are Bioshock which is violent but also makes you think (for any really old-school PC gamers its by the same people who made System Shock many years back), Lego Star Wars was surprisingly fun also. I didn’t play it at first as it came free with the console but then I found myself doing so and really enjoying it. The GTA games are running on hype by this point - there is nothing so new in any of them that wasn’t tried elsewhere years ago - there okay games but ultimately they are quite repetitive and more limited in ‘freedom’ than they would like you to believe. Computer technology is still nowhere near been able to create a true sandbox type enviroment -your interactions realistically in GTA boil down to beat up the other characters, buy things from them and rob or steal and play mini games. In many ways the Elder Scrolls games are far more freeform and it’s possible to use non-violent approaches in them to a lot of the time.

My roommate and I just got through with an hour-long Smash Bros. session right before I got online, actually.

And I totally agree that there are plenty of great “what-ifs” out there in video games. But I don’t really see the point in some of them. Sure, I could play games in order to go around shooting people indiscriminately, stealing from the poor, or picking up prostitutes, but why? That doesn’t sound fun at all, and I’d never want to do it in real life.

On the other hand, I would like to save the universe from destruction, or team up with a group of friends to fight an evil empire, or save a princess from a horde of invading monsters. I game to experience things that I’d like to do, but can’t. And, (I don’t mean this offensively, although it’s probably going to come out that way), I’m very curious about the psychology of people who say, ‘I wouldn’t ever really murder a policeman, but it sure is fun to pretend for a few hours a day!’

And do you ever stop to consider as you gleefully mow them down that the lackeys of the evil empire or the guards at the princess’ chamber are exactly the same thing as the cops of GTA? Legitimate enforcers of authority, mugged and killed by some traditionally ragtag mob of feel-good anarchists.

Think that way, and what’s the point of playing any game involving animate objects? You’re going to hurt someone (with, admittedly, a very few exceptions). But look at the cops, the Empire soldiers, or the Koopas as simply story obstacles or challenges the game throws in your way to test you – it’s not such a big deal after all.

I’m not planning to buy GTA4, just because I don’t feel like upgrading yet. I’m still happy with my PS2, and I’ve barely started San Andreas anyway.

I already preordered my copy and at 29 if violence in America isn’t already in me, a game won’t affect me anymore than the thousands of graphic images that makes up a typical Amerikwan. :knight2:

I probably won’t get GTA4, at least not for a while. I’m just not into that series so much. I’ll get my fill of epic violence when Ninja Gaiden II comes out in June. :thumbsup:

The Galactic Empire’s authority is not legitimate, though. It is permissable to kill those who have done no wrong, if they’re a hostile party in a justified war. It is not permissable to kill the enforcers of legitimate authority, unless they overreach their authority (at which point they become illegitimate–and, really, lose their authority).

Wow, that was easy. You seriously didn’t see that distinction?

I, for one, get into games as much as a kid does–even though I kind of did want to see the other endings of Steambot Chronicle, I couldn’t pretend to like Savory; still less could I join the Bloody Mantis (an anti-tech terrorist group). It just felt wrong.

Soldiers of the Empire, if the Empire gained its authority by legitimate means, are well within their authority to quash rebellion.

Star Wars is a no-go under those conditions, of course. But plenty of games, particularly RPGs – or the GTA series – have exactly that idea of anti-establishmentism written into the story.

I, for one, get into games as much as a kid does–even though I kind of did want to see the other endings of Steambot Chronicle, I couldn’t pretend to like Savory; still less could I join the Bloody Mantis (an anti-tech terrorist group). It just felt wrong.

Me, I joined the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion the minute I could (among other nefarious virtual misdeeds), because I can actually distinguish between reality and fantasy and wanted to see what the game had to offer. It ain’t rocket science we’re talking about here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.