Garden of Gethsemane

In the biblical story Jesus prayed in the garden while his apostles slept. Since the account is very descriptive, how did this story and others such as this one come to be since there were no apparent witnesses? Is this a case where the Gospel writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit?

[quote="petras52, post:1, topic:320785"]
In the biblical story Jesus prayed in the garden while his apostles slept. Since the account is very descriptive, how did this story and others such as this one come to be since there were no apparent witnesses? Is this a case where the Gospel writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit?

[/quote]

Its possible with Mathew since he was one of the 12 who didn't fall asleep.
Peter, James, John were the ones that fell asleep.

After Jesus ascended into heaven, the 12 and others probably mulled over lots of things Jesus said and did among themselves. Jesus himself had 40 days after his resurrection to spend with them and some of these things may have come out during that time as well. One incident is when he travelled with 2 of them on the road to Emmaus, when he explained the scriptures to them. He may have explained other things as well. He may have done this numeous times with them because we don't have everything he did written down.

Just some thoughts.

Hi Petras,

This question comes up often. Let's not forget that Jesus spent 40 days with the apostles after his resurrection. He could have told them any number of things.

Verbum

They could also perhaps hear his prayers in the 1st 15 minutes, then fall asleep. I do that at holy hour. Begin being quite attentive, then my attention wanders. Then I remember where I am and try to be attentive again.

Fell asleep, is not the same as being asleep the entire time.

[quote="fred_conty, post:2, topic:320785"]
Its possible with Mathew since he was one of the 12 who didn't fall asleep.
Peter, James, John were the ones that fell asleep.

After Jesus ascended into heaven, the 12 and others probably mulled over lots of things Jesus said and did among themselves. Jesus himself had 40 days after his resurrection to spend with them and some of these things may have come out during that time as well. One incident is when he travelled with 2 of them on the road to Emmaus, when he explained the scriptures to them. He may have explained other things as well. He may have done this numeous times with them because we don't have everything he did written down.

Just some thoughts.

[/quote]

Oftentimes, the weeks between Easter and Ascension Thursday are treated almost as a blank, but it was in that period that the confusions that the apostles had were clafified, when St. Peter's office was confirmed by Our Lord, and when He was preparing them to receive the Paraclete.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.