Garunteed answer to prayer: a contradiction?

Is there anyway to reconcile the aparent contradiction between Mark 11:24 and 1 John 5:14-15?

Therefore I say unto you, all things, whatsoever you ask when ye pray, believe that you shall receive: and they shall come unto you. (Mark 11:24.)

And this is hthe confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. (1 John 5:14-15.)

Can anyone see a way of reconciling this aparent contradiction, and did any of the Church Fathers (like St. Augustine, St. Jerome, or St. John Chrysostom) comment on it?

Prayers are always answered; however, not always in the way that we think is best.

Again, not necessarily a contradiction…

One of the results of prayer is the growing alignment of our will with the desires God has for us – remember from the Our Father “thy will be done”. It’s not MY will.

As this alignment grows the dissonance between our will and God’s will hopefully becomes less. We learn over time to accept what happens or does not happen IS the answer. Our task is to love and praise God even in those moments when the answer is not what we desire.

That is faith.

I'm going to have to agree, to disagree with this one. 

Cheers!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.