Gary Gygax, Dungeons & Dragons creator, dies

Wow, a lot happening in Wisconsin today. :frowning:

cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/obit.gygax.ap/index.html

**MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AP) **-- Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.

He should have cast a healing spell.

May he rest in peace.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

If it was Ed Greenwood, I could think of a million Elminster quotes about death. Gygax, nope, sorry–ain’t got nothing.

Here’s hoping he’s a petitioner in one of the Sixes, though, stead of the Whistles.

For all you Lemons, that’s Planar rhyming slang for “heavens” (=sixes and sevens) and “hells” (=whistles and bells).

A Brief Tribute

It may not load right away (sometimes the site gets really hammered), but it’s worth it.

Brother Hrolf, cleric and mace wielder, lawful good. I was in a hobby shop in 1975 buying 54 mm Napoleonic soldier models to paint. At the time I also played military strategy games (board games). I picked up this box about the size of a paperback with these crude line drawings on the cover. And was hooked as were most of my friends. We played every 3rd Saturday (all day) for close to thirteen years. My sons sat on my lap when they were toddlers. My oldest now 26 has all of my books, compendiums, etc. still plays. Youngest at 23 is more interested in role playing on line.

May he rest in peace.

I just happened to stumble upon this old thread and I thought that I’d let you know: Gary is probably with our Lord. I hang out at the Troll Lord Games forums (Gary’s publisher) and Gary made it known that he came to Christ many years ago, in fact before the big brouhaha over D&D.

My favorite D&D character was Aragorn, my something-level Ranger. That or Gandalf, my wizard - can you guess where I got my character names from?

Loved the game, loved it.

Hmmm. Elric right?:wink:

His game gave me endless hours of enjoyment and several long-time friends.
As I type this I’m waiting for one such friend to get back from dinner so we can begin the game. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Mr. Gygax, and may you rest in peace. :signofcross::gopray2:

My mom would not let me play D&D growing up. She thought it would make me worship the devil and kill myself.

Apparently she was right - you didn’t play, hence, you;re still alive. (I’ve never understood why people believe that)

My father did that! Then I showed him Jack Chick’s tract on the subject (it’s called ‘Dark Dungeons’ and is a laugh a minute) and said, ‘so you agree with Jack Chick?’. The response was ‘hm, if Chick says the sun rises in the east I stand outside and double-check, so…’ and come to find out, D&D really isn’t evil after all :smiley:

I had a friend who’s mom was like that. She actually never told him not to, but she greatly discouraged him from doing so by giving him som literature that she picked up at the local Christian bookstore. It wasn’t the Chick tract, but some little booklet with a fantasy-style dragon painting on the cover; “Deceptive Dungeons” or something like that. She was totally fine with him playing the Star Wars RPG since there weren’t “spells” to be cast. I guess it depends on how you look at it since Jedi manipulate the force like wizards, but whatever. So we played lots of Star Wars and it was a very fun game. I went to a rural high school and there were plenty of kids who did the typical “fight against anything Satanic” stuff that people do: “heavy metal (all of it) is of the devil”; “D&D (or even RPG’s in general) are of the devil.” However most of those same people were having sex and getting tanked on the weekend. I guess it’s kind of akin to some of the people in witch hunts of yesteryear where they thought that they were earning brownie points with God or the local elders by fighting “The Devil.”:rolleyes:

Never understood this whole playing D&D was akin to worshipping the devil bit - I played it and read billions of fantasy novels, superhero comics and similar growing up. The whole notion that playing D&D is satanic seems to be more of an American thing, here in the UK it was more likely you would be seen as a bit of a nerd to borrow an American term. Certainly my parents had no problems with me playing it or reading whatever i wished, considering the area I grew up in had a high rate of teenage alcoholism and crime etc. they were probably happy I was doing something not likely to get me in with the wrong crowd.

Google Pat Pulling.
Google* The Devil’s Game.
*Google “BADD” – Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons.

You’ll find out why some people think such things about role-playing games.

he should have taught his apprentice the level 10 cleric spell
resurrection :o

Read such nonsense many a time for a good laugh - paranoid idiocy authored by fools is my polite summing up of such diatribes.

Oh yeah. I know all about those.:rolleyes: When I was a wee thing I used to love the D&D cartoon that came on Saturday mornings well before I even knew about the game. I remember when it finally didn’t come on the next year and I couldn’t figure out way. Years later I found at the BADD had lobbied to have the show pulled. Even though I was older and hadn’t seen the show in years, I could feel the hate welling up inside of me.:mad: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.