Gary Gygax, Dungeons & Dragons creator, dies

If you were a fan of the cartoon (so was I by the way - used to rush home from school to see it here in Britain) then you might know there was supposed to be a definite end to it where venger was revealted to be dungeon masters son and the latter would make an effort to try and redeem him and the kids did get back to earth. The cancelllation apparently screwed that up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dallas_Egbert_III

The above is the wikipedia article on the most famous (supposedly) D&D-related suicide incident.

Yeah the old steam tunnel incident, in fact as wikipedia points out (not that wikipedia is in fairness the most reliable source either for or against anything in a debate) the young man was suffering from many other problems at the time and eventually committed suicide a short time later.

Dungeons and Dragons biggest flaws are not moral but inherent to the system of the game where sometimes level grinding takes precedence over plot or subtlety. That’s a problem all level based rpg systems have though.

D&D is about as satanic as a chocolate chip cookie in the final analysis.

You are a level 1 human bard who travels around towns carrying a giant scroll of parchment known as the “Catholic Answers Forums”. The way this works is that participants write their messages on the parchment, then when you take it to another town the folks there can read it and write their own messages in reply. Of course it is a difficult task trying to keep all the conversations together, so you decide to look for an apprentice. In the local pub you meet a dwarf wearing dull looking scale armor. He explains to you that he was trained as a fighter but has been out of work for a few months because there has been relative peacetime, and asks you if you will take him as your apprentice.

I get the elf of the party to look for hidden doors.:wink:

The elf points out that all the doors in the tavern are easily visible. Then he goes back to drinking his wine. The wine is Everclear - a well-known Elven product from the Misty Islands.

The half-elf wizard sets it on fire (Orpheus got the rogue before I did :banghead: )

You know, I tried it several times, but D & D just did nothing for me, didn’t hit.

And like the Englander above says, it was pretty much a nerdy thing. I don’t think the nerd epithet would’ve phased me: I just didn’t care for the game. Too theatrical for me.

Spoken like someone who’s never jumped on the table, gesticulated wildly, and screamed ‘I WASTE him with my crossbow!’ :slight_smile:

I love that episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes back to college and is being tutored by the nerds.

Homer: “And we played Dungeons & Dragons for six hours! . . . . Then I was slain by an elf.”

This ‘Englander’ is actually an Irishman who just happens to reside in England as he works there :slight_smile:

I was a classic ‘nerd’ and have no shame about it - I collected comics, read fantasy novels, playing D&D, liked Star Trek etc.

D&D isn’t something I’d have played in paper form though in many years. The last things related to it I have played are the Neverwinter Nights games and before that the Baldurs Gate gate games.

Yeah! Well, it totally depends on the group. I’ve played with guys who sit there and play it like chess, guys who hardly ever roll the dice, and, ideally, people who find a happen medium between strategy and story.:smiley:

You know, I really did try to like it. I’d reread the Lord of the Rings, liked Tolkein and some science fiction.

One factor may have just been the amount of time needed to do it. I don’t play Risk, for instance, because it takes hours to play.

And again, maybe another factor was that, in comparison to Tolkein, it was kind of exaggerated. I don’t know. You do what you can.

I’m trying to think what I was doing at about that age that might’ve sucked up my free time. School activities probably. Various clubs. Maybe the factor was just all that time it took.

…Eh. Some like it, some don’t.
I play computer games too, by the way.
Baldur’s gate was a good game. I’m playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. That’s fun too. :slight_smile:

I loved the Knights of the Old Republic games. Best RPGs I’ve ever played.

Please don’t get me started on why the Sith Lords could have been an even better game without all the cuts that were made to it to meet it’s shipping date which led to a very confused story and murky ending.

As to Dungeons and Dragons, I only ever went up to about 5th or 6th level with characters in the paper version. I found it too mundane in it’s setting after a bit (excepting Planescape) but I was grateful for it introducing me to the idea or rpgs in general.

I went to Michigan State, and, since I worked a student job in maintenance, I had acess to the steam tunnels (really just underground hallways that go from one building to another, the steam, water and power lines go along the walls).

There really isn’t much there that would you make gaming interesting.

Heck I know the steam tunnel incident was dreamt up by silly people looking for something else to knock as satanic that week. Lord knows they obviously never met a group of rpg fans if they thought they were likely to be committed satanists :slight_smile:

Sith Lords had a better story, but the gameplay was definitely inferior to the original.

You mean I wasn’t SCA in grad school? That we didn’t make cross bows out of those kid’s bow and arrow sets and we didn’t go down into the steam tunnels at LSU in 1976? :smiley: Oh, my brother Trolls would have something to say about that. Funny thing, here we are 30 + years later and we still meet twice a year.

Marching Trolls of Draconia march on!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.